• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR meet up - Texas (Part 2)

ANSWER BOTH QUESTIONS PLEASE!

• Total voters
Any Fort Worth or nearby people who want to car pool, let me know. I plan on going down and back on the same day.

I could sware I heard crickets chirping. ;)

I wish I could make it, but I am some personal things I have to work out right now. Maybe next time. I really want to come but I can't.

Looking forward to it! Breaking out the Photography gear and dusting off the camping gear....should be a good time!

Circle R Ranch is open for public play on a limited basis.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday While we are there.

This is what I just saw on the Circle R site. So, it may get busy out there if enough people see this.

Not that I am complaining, but is everyone going to be paying $10 to play there this weekend or just our group?

Last edited:
I talked to a local played at the last tourney I went to, and he said that it can get really busy when it is open.

Good thing is we are starting first thing Sat morning, so we should get out there before the crowd starts.

I could sware I heard crickets chirping. ;)

I would but have a wedding that I have to make.

Get me a great excuse to drive down to Austin with a complete stranger to play disc golf and my wife might let me go?

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday While we are there.

This is what I just saw on the Circle R site. So, it may get busy out there if enough people see this.

Not that I am complaining, but is everyone going to be paying $10 to play there this weekend or just our group?

Makes sense - they just put this up within the last week, since they want to maximize their profit. They never guaranteed a private day for us, we don't have the numbers. And yes - anyone who comes out will have to pay whether you're with our group or not. I called, and they don't seem to think they'll have a big crowd. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

I read this again. The course is open for play, but anyone who camps gets charged 10 and whoever plays pays 10, so it's not just us.

I'm new, but I'll be there! I look forward to meeting new people in the area (and sneakily watching how you throw. I'm going to steal your technique right from under you!).

I have been torn between this and being in denver on sunday for some time now. This is starting to look like the winner.

Hey srm, any word on how many of us DGCR's are gunna be out there?

This is a rough guess based on this thread and the PM's I received, but around 20 playing on Saturday. I optimistic it will be over 20 though. About 10 people have fully committed rain or shine, but many others said they were going to try, but play it by ear as we got closer to the date. For camping - I think it'll be more around 10. My brother and I are camping and playing for sure! :D

BTW - Rain has gone from a 60% to 40% chance, so weather may be fantastic who knows. High is 74 and it looks to be overcast for sure. I don't know about you but 74 is perfect in my book.

I have been torn between this and being in denver on sunday for some time now. This is starting to look like the winner.

Come on JD, you know you want to come out and have a good time! I feel cheated that we only got in 11 holes at Myler Park! :D

If anyone is coming from the Dallas/Denton area I have some Mach Lites that I am hoping could make the trip down with you. PM me if you can help out.

I was out there last weekend. Played both courses without seeing anyone. The course is in great shape, wildflowers and water is pumping. Waterfall is as nice as it's ever been.

I would suggest starting on the hill then finishing on the meadow just do to the wind. You'll get plenty in the morning, and even more during the afternoon.

other than that the courses are in great shape. I'm going to try and make it. The ranch gate opens at 10AM. Please open it, and shut the gate behind you. There will be instructions on where to register.

Ok thanks for the head's up.

Milow

I was out there last weekend. Played both courses without seeing another group. The courses are in tournament shape, wildflowers and water are pumping. Waterfall is as nice as it's ever been. Springs in many places including on meadow hole #10.

I would suggest starting on the hill then finishing on the meadow just do to the wind. You'll get plenty in the morning, and even more during the afternoon. The hill is a bear from the blues in the wind - for any player.

other than that the courses are in great shape. I'll be there on Saturday. The ranch gate opens at 10AM. Please open it, drive in, and shut the gate behind you, then park. There will be instructions on where to register.

some things from scanning through the threads... I'll chime in on what I think I know

There's a $10 all day play fee/day for everyone. For the World Am Doubles they charged $10/night to camp but that may have changed. There is water/plastic/clothing/snacks available at the pro shop. There are bathrooms and showers for campers. I have seen glow lights on the practice basket which makes me think it's not uncommon for a little evening golf, but you'd have to ask Dee or John. You must sign a waiver before playing - it may be called out there.

Pizza Hut will deliver there. There's a Subway about 10 miles down the road.

The courses are mowed, are in tournament shape. The springs are flowing, the waterfall is cascading. It will not disappoint. Great chance you will get to meet John Houck, he's always happy to stop and chat about disc golf, design, whatever. His wife Dee is a pleasure as well. It's just as good vibes disc golf as disc golf gets. It goes without saying to this group but please make sure you leave the course better than you found it and we may be able to play these gems for a long time to come.

couple cool little differences I've noticed when playing the ranch - Usually, No 2 meter rule in effect. Water, if any on #10 fairway (springs) is casual. On 18 Hill, if you end up in the pasture on the other side of the fence, play it where it lies w/out penalty.

I'll provide my directions from Austin: (Takes about 45 minutes)
Take 290 West to Henly (one town past Dripping Springs)
Left on Ranch Road 165
Left on Farm To Market 2325
5 miles or so on your right - you'll see Innova & Millenium Signs (Put Circular Productions, Wimberley Tx. into your Iphone for pinpoint accuracy) Across from 7H ranch if you happen to be looking at the wrong side of the road when you're driving by - like I did last week.)

Milow
512 497-6593 Feel free to txt or call if needed

*** Sorry for the rehash of information, my 5 minute editing time ended***

^^^^^ Lot's of good info in there! Thanks for posting it. Hearing of the course conditions, I am now even more stoked to play!

Well unfortunately I now know I will not be able to make it.

I just found out that my folks are throwing a dinner party for my upcoming wedding starting at 4pm Sat. so with that now taking place I cant make the meetup.

Have fun everyone, Im jealous.

Latest posts