• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in North Carolina

gmoney1984

I was just wondering how popular it was in NC specifically the Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill area and about the quality of the courses.

You guys are brutal. Quit picking on the new guy. :p

DG is plenty popular in the Triangle. While it is not quite Charlotte, we have a nice selection of better than average courses. If you are looking for tourney play or a club around here check out the Triangle Chain Posse. Or you could probably PM aggreen on here. He runs that club. If you are looking just to meet up and play there are a bunch of locals on this site. I play UNC, Buckhorn and Rock Ridge out in Pittsboro the most. And once in a while I'll run up to Valley Springs.

DG is plenty popular in the Triangle. While it is not quite Charlotte, we have a nice selection of better than average courses. If you are looking for tourney play or a club around here check out the Triangle Chain Posse. Or you could probably PM aggreen on here. He runs that club. If you are looking just to meet up and play there are a bunch of locals on this site. I play UNC, Buckhorn and Rock Ridge out in Pittsboro the most. And once in a while I'll run up to Valley Springs.

Thanks for you help.

Rotary Club DGC at Frank Liske Park in Concord offers a brand new, very wide open course to the Charlotte region. 3 Holes over 600 feet. Not many woods. A few obstacles here or there. 6 of the holes are completely open. You can really let it rip out there.

Actually, I was trolling the North Carolinians who were sure to follow.

Yeah, N.C.'s one of the hotbeds of disc golf, most notably in Charlotte but the triangle has courses in quantity and quality, and some longtime, bedrock members of the disc golf community.

That's all you need since the disc only goes 40 feet before hitting a tree. Unless you're on one of the open courses, like Eastway. Then it's 60 feet.

Ain't that the truth.

I always said I'd be great at disc golf if it wasn't for all the tress. The they put in a course at Frank Liske without almost no trees. Turns out I'm just not great at disc golf.

The triangle has decent disc golf. It isn't like Charlotte, which I would say has awesome disc golf. In general, the courses are mostly wooded and aren't overly long, so accuracy is rewarded more then arm strength. Many of the courses are pretty convenient to the interstate. My personal top 5 are Leigh Farm, Valley Spring, UNC, Buckhorn and Middle Creek (home course, so I'm biased). Rock Ridge in Pittsboro seems solid, but it's a little further out. There are a lot of other courses that are decent enough but not super challenging.

Yeah, N.C.'s one of the hotbeds of disc golf, most notably in Charlotte but the triangle has courses in quantity and quality, and some longtime, bedrock members of the disc golf community.

Not to mention home to 2 HOFers, a 5x Pro world champion, a 2x Pro world champion, and the place where three ADV world champs honed their craft.

I was just wondering how popular it was in NC specifically the Raleigh, Durham, & Chapel Hill area and about the quality of the courses.

So, now a question back: What inspired this?

Are you visiting the area? Pondering a move there? Already there, and wondering how your local area compares to others?

@gmoney1984

Cool. Disc golf may not be the most important factor in your decision, but it should fall in the "pro" column, not the "con".

Yes, it is a good area for DG. There are parts of town that either have less access or longer drives to courses, but most times you can drive anywhere around here in under 30 minutes. Raleigh itself is probably the worst area. One older, shorter course and one decent course that is usually crowded. But if you can access Durham, Chapel Hill and the west side of town you'll be good. If you get stuck on the east side of town you can head to Zebulon. Plus there is a fair amount of private courses within a reasonable drive. The toughest decision for you will be whether you pretend to be a NC St, Duke or UNC fan. Good luck.