• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Park Tee Pads?

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Looking to pull the trigger on these products for a local DGC. Need references or reviews of anyone who has installed or played on them. Thanks!

-Dave

The only DG Park course I've played was Langley Pond in SC: I recall them being among some of the best tees I've ever played on.

From my review:
Equipment: Excellent. Concrete tees with artificial turf drain well and provide great footing.
... at least I thought they were concrete covered with turf. Certainly seemed as solid, although it's hard to know specifically what's going on beneath the outer turf layer.

Sorry I don't have more. I was paying attention to the course a whole, not just that singular aspect of the course.

The only DG Park course I've played was Langley Pond in SC: I recall them being among some of the best tees I've ever played on.

From my review:

... at least I thought they were concrete covered with turf. Certainly seemed as solid, although it's hard to know specifically what's going on beneath the outer turf layer.

Sorry I don't have more. I was paying attention to the course a whole, not just that singular aspect of the course.

Hah! No need to apologize. That's enough for me. The more I look at this product the more I like it for our situation.

I would love to try these! A properly installed astroturf pad is by far my favorite surface to tee from. It has great grip in all conditions, even in the rain. The only down side I can think of is winter time you can't just shovel them clear like you can with concrete pads, but that's fine.

From my review:

It's actually sand covered with turf.

2x4 frame, I think some gravel in the bottom, sand to the top, tamped and leveled, turf on top, more sand sprinkled on top of the turf.

My favorite tee pads.

I would love to try these! A properly installed astroturf pad is by far my favorite surface to tee from. It has great grip in all conditions, even in the rain. The only down side I can think of is winter time you can't just shovel them clear like you can with concrete pads, but that's fine.

Well the snow is a non-issue for this particular park since they close as soon as the white stuff starts flying around. The township does not want to pay to plow out the park and I can't say that I blame them.

I've actually played off them here:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7893

This was the first DiscGolfPark course in the US. I thought those teepads were great to throw off of, maybe better than concrete, at least when dry. I've no experience with them on a wet day. As ToddL said, there's sand sprinkled on top of the turf.

There is a course that has them in the southern Chicago burbs: Meadows DiscGolfPark You can check them out for yourself. Dana on here designed it, maybe reach out to him regarding installation?

a9e4d260.jpg

They're pretty good. You definitely want to install them over a flat surface though.

Unfortunately they won't last forever. Depending on the traffic of your course, I'd guess the useful lifespan of these pads at 3-7 years.

Both Langley Pond and Boyd Pond back in Aiken have them and they're great! Grip super well in the dry, and don't get nearly as slick in the wet because the sand lets the water drain through the tee. If you have the means, I highly recommend them.

Looking to pull the trigger on these products for a local DGC. Need references or reviews of anyone who has installed or played on them. Thanks!

I have played on several DGP's with these tees and they work great. 54 new DGP tees were installed at the Wild Horse Golf Club for the 2018 Las Vegas Challenge. The DGP tees fit in nicely with the upscale location. You can see the new tees in the event videos. The DGP tees are also used at North Las Vegas DGP which is also on a bolf course.

I played at LHC DGP in Baton Rouge right after a heavy rain, the DGP tees were high and dry. Like others have said, they will require some maintenance to keep in top condition. I have no experience with installation.

Ive only played one course with the DGP turf tees and yes they are an upgrade from normal turf tees but I still found myself slipping on the tees. I played on them in early morning in the summer so the tees were dew covered. I slipped slightly on the first few tees and then after that I had to basicially a style of golf that I only have to play in the winter so that I did not slip. I am probably one of the few who does not like these.

I've played Langley and enjoyed the pads. It might be worth checking with the designer of The Claytons ( www.bouttedesign.com/bio.html ) in Tennessee on how he did turf pads. I think The Claytons pads are even better than the discgolfpark style. They seemed a little more padded, like an anti-fatigue mat.

I've played ones that weren't installed correctly and were uneven. Didn't like that at all. That, of course, is not a comment on the materials, but the installation. It was the only thing that I noticed about them.

I've played the Disc Golf Park near Baton Rouge and I really liked them. They're elevated off the ground via the 2x4 frame, and provide a solid foundation for footing. Good grip too, from what I remember. As MikeK said though, time will tell on the durability and longevity. I think it's a great second option to concrete.

Ive only played one course with the DGP turf tees and yes they are an upgrade from normal turf tees but I still found myself slipping on the tees. I played on them in early morning in the summer so the tees were dew covered. I slipped slightly on the first few tees and then after that I had to basicially a style of golf that I only have to play in the winter so that I did not slip. I am probably one of the few who does not like these.
If you slip on those teepads due to moisture they may not have been installed correctly. There's supposed to be sand within the turf to contain it.

Well I am 99% sure the township is going to pull the trigger on these pads. One thing I like is the ease of installation compared to concrete. I don't have to worry about getting a concrete truck close to the pad or try to get a bobcat there to dump concrete. These can be installed entirely with hand tools if needed. Also, even if it doesn't last as long as concrete I would think moving/replacing pads are a snap compared to replacing/moving concrete that has settled or cracked.

When dry, I prefer concrete. When wet, I prefer turf. The downside to concrete is larger to me than any downside to turf, so overall, I would prefer turf. When our concrete pads get slippery, it affects my throw even if I do not slip.

I've actually played off them here:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7893

This was the first DiscGolfPark course in the US. I thought those teepads were great to throw off of, maybe better than concrete, at least when dry. I've no experience with them on a wet day. As ToddL said, there's sand sprinkled on top of the turf.

Since I first saw these turf tees, I've wondered how they will hold up over time, especially in an area that gets a lot of winter weather. It looks like these have been in Fort Morgan for over 5 years, can you detect wear and tear, have any needed to be replaced?
What type of regular maintenance (if any) is done on them?