• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you constantly break rules.

no. the fallin putt i admit to. the rest no one else saw either and i know i didnt. he was making up **** cuz his jimmies were quite rustled. i mean i would too, if i had to play a round without being able to throw to the right;)

I thought about the fact that these threads always seem to end up the same. A bunch of players complaining about rule (most of which they do break) getting called on them, for what they percieve as the wrong reasons. Then, I realized, I learn quite a bit about the rules this way. Carry on. :p

Exactly the reason I find myself posting (perhaps too much) in these types of threads...to help educate the mis- and ill-informed. The rules of this game are really fairly simple and easy to follow IF you know them. Unfortunately, too many folks just don't take the time to read the rule book (it's short) and try to pick things up as they go. The result is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding, which they then pass on to others like a bad game of telephone.

Well, that and the attitude that graduating from casual chucker to "tournament player" should involve nothing more than adding an entry fee (and the potential for payout) to the equation.

I would disagree with you on this being a godwin's law application. Usually godwin's law has to do with specifically calling someone a nazi.

People who get Godwin's Law wrong are worse than Hitler. ;)

Seriously though, the top card of MA3 might be where the worst of this happens (the perfect storm of high stakes and low rules familiarity). That is why I always manage to end up one or two cards back of the top card.
Really.

If you don't like hearing these so called "Rule Nazis" then I would suggest getting acquainted with the rules and stick up for yourself.

I don't know why the term "rule nazi" would upset you so much but I guess each of us has buttons that we don't like pushed.

In this situation one specific anointed themselves the rules official in the group (and for some weird reason it always happens in this tournament every year and in the rec division). They just went way out of their way to comment all of the time if there was an infraction, subject of discussion or anything they just wanted to impose their will on.

In a few situations that were the most outrageous, final round and I was up by 4 strokes and my drive landed in a bush. I knew I had to get into the bush to establish my lie, once I was in their and setting up my shot they started waving their hands to get my attention to tell me that I was pushing the bush out of my way at that was illegal. Now mind you I was not holding anything out of the way with my hand, nor was I stepping on any branches or sitting on anything I was just establishing my lie with my body and standing straight up. At this point we had already went around the bush (pun intended) on many other situations and I was fed up. I crawled out frustrated and asked what the heck they expected me to do the bush was naturally going to move in some ways since I had to get in their to establish my lie, I eventually crawled back in their and I guess they begrudgingly said it was ok. I went to the TD on the next hole, showed him the bush and explained the situation and he said I was completely ok and I just couldn't step or hold anything out of the way.

The second scenario was with another player. It was a blind shot and we figured it went into the tree. Everyone looked for his disk for a minute or two and finally someone pointed up to the top of this thick tree and said there it is. He marked the lie underneath it and threw. After he walked up the fairway he found his actual disc in another tree. Rule Nazi started spouting every rule in the book, people were in disagreement and everyone was getting animated. We were holding up the group behind us and I walked over and suggested to the player (which was his first tournament) just to take a provisional and play them both out. That of course was argued and everything.

There were other issues in past years with people thinking they knew the rules and tried to enforce them such as trying to tell me I couldn't use my phone to keep score and listen to music... and other "opinion" rules

Hi Jeff, It was great to play with you this weekend. Congratulations on your win.

At first, I thought perhaps you were calling me out as a Rule Nazi, but it seems example number one was the guy on our card for the final round. I agree, he was trying to use the rules to work you. However, he was also trying to work the rest of us as well...he was not just singling you out. I do not like playing the "you are out" game. This guy would walk to his lie, mark it, then do four or five pumps and then stop dead and ask: "Am I out????" My answer is always, if you are ready, you may go. I really don't care who goes first because I play the course. However, I understand that some players are playing other players instead of the course. They think if others go first, it will take some kind of pressure off them.

Just to be fair, it was not just that player that called you on the bush stance: it was the entire group AND the spotter. We all seconded that call and explained the problem to you. You were backing into the bush to hold it out of the way. You were eventually able to insert your leg into the scrawny bush without holding it back. Also, you had a clean lie if you would have put your right foot in the bush instead of the left.

Your second example is obviously about me. I KNEW the proper call and tried to explain it to you with the rule book. Yes, it would take a minute to look it up and PROVE it to you, but that is not a valid reason to call a provisional. Having the kid play two lies did not speed anything up and was confusing.

Again, I am glad you won. I hope it was not too terrible having to play with me and I hope you think I was fair with the rules.

As I recall, no one got stroked or "officially" warned for anything.

803.03G
Types of misplay:
Incorrect Lie. The player has:
Teed off from a teeing area that is not the correct teeing area for the current hole; or,
Thrown from a lie established by a disc other than the thrown disc; or,
Played an out-of-bounds disc as if it were in-bounds; or,
Thrown from a lie established by a previous throw which passed a mandatory on the wrong side.
If no subsequent throws have been made after the misplayed throw, the player shall continue play from the correct lie and be assessed a one-throw penalty for the misplay. If an additional throw or throws have been made after the misplayed throw, the player shall complete the hole being played and be assessed a two-throw penalty for the misplay.

Hi Jeff, It was great to play with you this weekend. Congratulations on your win.

At first, I thought perhaps you were calling me out as a Rule Nazi, but it seems example number one was the guy on our card for the final round. I agree, he was trying to use the rules to work you. However, he was also trying to work the rest of us as well...he was not just singling you out. I do not like playing the "you are out" game. This guy would walk to his lie, mark it, then do four or five pumps and then stop dead and ask: "Am I out????" My answer is always, if you are ready, you may go. I really don't care who goes first because I play the course. However, I understand that some players are playing other players instead of the course. They think if others go first, it will take some kind of pressure off them.

Just to be fair, it was not just that player that called you on the bush stance: it was the entire group AND the spotter. We all seconded that call and explained the problem to you. You were backing into the bush to hold it out of the way. You were eventually able to insert your leg into the scrawny bush without holding it back. Also, you had a clean lie if you would have put your right foot in the bush instead of the left.

Your second example is obviously about me. I KNEW the proper call and tried to explain it to you with the rule book. Yes, it would take a minute to look it up and PROVE it to you, but that is not a valid reason to call a provisional. Having the kid play two lies did not speed anything up and was confusing.

Again, I am glad you won. I hope it was not too terrible having to play with me and I hope you think I was fair with the rules.

803.03G
Types of misplay:
Teed off from a teeing area that is not the correct teeing area for the current hole; or,
Thrown from a lie established by a previous throw which passed a mandatory on the wrong side.
If no subsequent throws have been made after the misplayed throw, the player shall continue play from the correct lie and be assessed a one-throw penalty for the misplay. If an additional throw or throws have been made after the misplayed throw, the player shall complete the hole being played and be assessed a two-throw penalty for the misplay.

awwwww snap, this just got real :popcorn:

and just when i thought this thread was going to be landfilled :popcorn:

so whats the good word jeffrey?

Is "Getting Stroked" truly a Disc Golf term? If so, this sport just got a lot more exciting. Maybe we should clarify the true meaning of this phrasing for new players though. We might have a lot of people joining the sport with the wrong intentions in mind.

803.03G
Types of misplay:

If you go back and read everything I said, it wasn't just this weekend, it seems to be every time I play this event. But in the situation with the misplayed lie, by the book you were right, but the point I was trying to make was he had the option of taking a provisional. Especially since I think he would have an valid argument to make with the TD, that someone else in the group said that was his disc...might have not be upheld, but everyone always has the option of provisional throws.

As for the bush issue, first of all the spotter has zero input into the situation, secondly, I explained the issue to the TD on the next hole and he validate my position that since I wasn't standing on, sitting on or holding back the bush with my hands that I was fine with what I did. And yes I could have gotten into the bush from the other side but I had no shot from that side. And that's why I felt the rules were trying to be implemented to penalize me instead of just being upheld.

I used to be a certified rules official, I never said that during the tournament because I just felt it would have escalated the situation. And this was no personal afront to you (although it might have come across that way) I enjoyed playing with you all three rounds, this similar thing has happened every time I have played this event. This was my biggest issue I had, there are ways to keep everyone accountable to the rules, one can be very gracious and non confrontational. You can let someone know and let it go, but I felt at times I was being lectured on the rules and that what was concerning me more then anything else.

...it could be a stroke or a re throw...

I had a stroke called...

...I think I lost a few strokes....

... no one got stroked ...

Is "Getting Stroked" truly a Disc Golf term? If so, this sport just got a lot more exciting. Maybe we should clarify the true meaning of this phrasing for new players though. We might have a lot of people joining the sport with the wrong intentions in mind.

Unfortunately, there are no strokes in disc golf. That word does not appear in the rules.

Strokes are for ball golf.

And I prefer "Rules Pedant".

awwwww snap, this just got real :popcorn:

It's always fun to hear the other side of the story.

Hey guys, I agree with Jeff, I didn't mean to call him out, but back him up. That last round was not fun. I hope Jeff will accept my apology if he did not enjoy playing on my card. I stand behind the calls that were made.

Jeff was a great guy and was an excellent sportsman all weekend long. If he was having a problem during the final round on Sunday with a rules nazi (and/or me) he certainly didn't show it. He was calm and cool and polite through everything.

It is good to discuss rules experiences like this. It helps everyone see the rules "in action". As far as the provisional call, everything worked out. Jeff calmly convinced us to use the provisional and we got everything settled while playing out the hole.

In the end, it all worked out and Jeff was the Champion.

And while this has nothing to do with rules nazis I was extra peeeved about all the cigarette butts I picked up all weekend. I would clear a tee of every single butt and the next round they all magically reappeared on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts