• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc golf shoes- you have a favorite

I play in a pair of cheap canvas sneakers from walmart. They work great, and they were only $7.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 8
how often do you have to replace them? i imagine i'd ruin them in two days, making them much more expensive in the long run

Though I really do want to try out the five fingers, since I'm always barefoot anyways if I'm not in shoes...though I heard they get really stinky easy.

I figured out how to keep the stink out. You just need to wash your feet every day (Yeah I never used to do that :gross:), and occasionally pour some hydrogen peroxide in and over them and let it work its magic. then rinse them thoroughly with water and your golden.

i rock these but with lime green strings

circa-rogue-black-lime.jpg

Zappos has a very customer friendly return policy. If during the first 365 days you find something you don't like, they'll take the shoes back. $100/year for solid (and safe) footwear is money well spent in my book.

This season had me thinking of something waterproof - sick of playing once my feet got wet from wet grass. Those Moabs look like they'd fill the bill niceley.

Seems durability is a bit of an issue with Merrells. You find they pretty much need to be replaced after a good year of use?

Last edited:
I wear a pair of Fila cross-trainers. They do the job for me. (of course we don't do any 'trekking' on our courses out here either)

The Merrell Moab Ventilators are also really good shoes. Down here in Texas, the breathability is amazing. They also look remarkably similar to the GORE-TEX ones mentioned above. ;)

733312-p-DETAILED.jpg

The Merrells did not last for me. It only took about 2-3 months, playing about 3-4 rounds per week. Thankfully, REI took em back, no questions asked because they obviously did not last long enough.

Vasque is a step up in quality and price, but I think the extra $$ was well worth it. Here is the replacement that has lasted since the snow melted in late March/early April. They are just now starting to show some wear. Might be time for another swap at REI...

http://www.rei.com/product/757633

Salomon XA Comp 5 GTX. Gore-Tex and lightweight. Awesome tread. Just got them and there's no break-in period... worth the $$ so far.

If only they made tennis (actual sport, not generic label) shoes with more treaded soles, and possibly gore-tex. I mean think about it. They're made specifically for a sport where:
1) You drag your toe during every serve.
2) You sprint and stop laterally...pretty much all the time.
3) You pivot and cross...also pretty much all the time.
4) You do this, putting a retarded amount of stress on the shoe, for a couple hours a match.
Mechanically, they would be ideal. But really only on concrete pads. The tread isn't made for terrain, and they aren't made to be waterproof. It's a shame really.
And trust me, the support in the shoes is real. Try playing a match in running or cross-training shoes, and then play a round in actual tennis shoes. It's amazing how much more control you have, since most shoes are designed for heel-to-toe motions, and not side-to-side motions in mind.

That being said, I just picked up a pair of Moab Gore-tex and they are comfy as hell. Had to after the sole on my Helly Hansen trail-runners started to go.
And REI will take returns no questions asked with no time limit. If you feel you didn't get your money's worth out of them, they'll take it back. Of course, you get a few greedy and shady people, but most shady people don't shop at REI thankfully.

Zappos has a very customer friendly return policy. If during the first 365 days you find something you don't like, they'll take the shoes back. $100/year for solid (and safe) footwear is money well spent in my book.

My discing buddy bought Solomans from REI and they offer a lifetime warranty. His first pair started to split at the edge of the sole after about 6 months of disc (including in the winter) and he took them back and they replaced them no questions asked.

A pair of mid topped Brahma boots. Finally got tired of buying sneakers every two months. Florida courses will kill sneakers left and right.

Some people earlier in the thread have questioned the durability of Merrell's, but I've been impressed with the durability of mine. My Moab Ventilators have lasted longer than every other pair of sneakers I've owned recently.

Some people earlier in the thread have questioned the durability of Merrell's, but I've been impressed with the durability of mine. My Moab Ventilators have lasted longer than every other pair of sneakers I've owned recently.

I had Merrell's years ago and they lasted me roughly 4-5 years. Looking at picking up another pair since I normally wear skater shoes and they wear out too quick.

I'm so happy I don't have the toe dragging problem. Honestly I can't understand how it happens to so many people...:|

Latest posts