• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc maintenance help

Mr. Butlertron

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Against my better judgement I let my newb friend barrow a few discs for his first tourement ever last Saturday. It was at tight wooded course, so naturally they took a heavy beating. Now I have a DX and an R-pro that are scuffed, scratched, and have a few semi sharp burrs. I want to clean them up with a little sanding, but I'm afraid of altering the flight of the discs. Is there a spot on the rim that's more effected by sanding than others or should I just leave them as is if I want them to fly the same?

I'd leave them. My friend sanded a disc down just barely and it turned into the most understable disc I have ever seen. It was crazy. Like a blizzard katana thrown nose up in strong wind understable.

B. A disc which has been modified after production such that its original flight characteristics have been altered is illegal, excepting wear from usage during play and the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrapes. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

Take off the sharp burrs so you don't cut your hand and then just enjoy the more beat in discs :)

Your friend needed to borrow discs and you handed him a bunch of DX? What kind of friend are you?

I wouldn't get too crazy with sandpaper. I usually go the "natural" way. I will lightly rub the disc on some large rocks. Or just keep playing with them and they should wear down over time.

^especially on a baseline plastic. Premium I can see sanding some sharp scuffs down but a DX/Pro wouldn't take much to change the wing/bead etc.

Yeah, I've got a good feeling the flight path on any of your DX stuff you let him borrow is already "altered".

Sanding the rough edges won't affect the flight as much as letting your friend throw DX on a wooded course will.

The damage is already done. On the plus side, they're beaten-in now.

I found the best way to fix plastic is to use the coiled element on a range, low setting. It doesn't remove plastic and pushing the edge of the disc against the coil allows you to shape the repair.

I usually cut off the sharp burs, then use really fine grit sandpaper to smooth it off just enough to not catch any skin on release. When they get too bad, I throw then in the "donation" pile to give out when I see new players.

I use a cig lighter to heat up the plastic, then shape it back into place with my fingers. Works wonders.

Your friend needed to borrow discs and you handed him a bunch of DX? What kind of friend are you?

He is still new to DG and he didn't have any of his own discs, so I let him pick through my extras and grab what he liked. An R-Pro Boss and DX Roc is what he felt comfy throwing. I warned him, but ultimately I left the decision up to him. I liken it to letting a child dress themself. The Boss needed a little seasoning and he could have thrown the Roc off a cliff for all I care.

It sounds harsh, but he is right. Don't ever bother with the dx

Now that's just simply not true. Most of my bag is premium plastic (MVP), but I do carry a DX Stingray and until just recently, a DX Viper. There is a time and place for DX discs, and they can be really great for anyone from a beginner to an expert. Actually, they're especially great for beginners who don't know what they're buying. So instead of spending $16 a disc that they might only use for a couple weeks before realizing it was a bad choice, they spend $8 a disc. Also, DX has better grip in the rain than anything I've found (floater plastics excluded).

It sounds harsh, but he is right. Don't ever bother with the dx

poor advice.

don't bother letting your friend throw your dx. break it in yourself and learn to appreciate the flight. :) i creased the flight plate on my roc, bent it back and voila. now it flies straight. perfect, now i can use my KC as overstable.

as far as maintenance goes, yeah . . . i dunno, i just use a lighter if i really need to. usually i only do it for a big slice. otherwise i actually like the gouges. i have a huge one out of the side of my roc. it's great! :hfive:

I understand DX discs are about as soft and vulnerable as Paul Giamatti in the movie Sideways, but they can be very useful discs with all that glide and turn and whatnot. One day you'll understand the error of your ways Gizomtronx. I was just wondering if light maintenance on the inside edge causes more flight variance than on the outside edge. I didn't really see that question answered directly on any of the other maintenance threads.

Last edited:
I think it's really a case by case thing. You should be able to smooth out the edges on the Roc without really doing much to the flight. The Boss I'd throw first and see if there was a place to grip it and work around the damage; if I could I'd prolly just leave it alone.