• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs with a woman's name...

How do you feel about discs with women's names on them?

• I don't care, it's not a factor.

Votes: 252 86.9%
  • I'm more inclined to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I refuse to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • I'm less inclined to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I refuse to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm less inclined to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • I'm more inclined to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
I think Innova gives signature discs, and the Pro picks signature discs, based on what already sells.

People are buying Rocs, Teebirds, Firebirds and Destroyers anyway.

If I was an Innova Pro, you can bet I'm picking a disc that already sells, realizing that my signature probably won't sell a lot of discs in itself.

The Pro wins because they get percentage of disc sales on an already proven disc.

Innova wins because the disc is already selling, the World Champ Sig might add a few sales and they keep the player happy and on the team.

Does anyone really think that when given the choice, the Innova Pro picks some random disc that might not sell?

I think Innova gives signature discs, and the Pro picks signature discs, based on what already sells.
Does anyone really think that when given the choice, the Innova Pro picks some random disc that might not sell?

Dunno. Paul McBeth has (or had) the Krait as a sig disc. Good disc, but not one of the super-sellers.

And I still don't think Val chose the Starfire as her sig disc...

Dunno. Paul McBeth has (or had) the Krait as a sig disc. Good disc, but not one of the super-sellers.

And I still don't think Val chose the Starfire as her sig disc...

Special case for McBeth. He had probably exhausted his other options for the time being. I'm sure when he started throwing the Krait, Innova had no problem giving him the signature disc in the hopes it would help sales.

In Val's case, the Starfire was most likely a combination of what she would accept and what Innova was willing to give. I doubt that if she chose the Aviar PnA, that they would allow it.

Special case for McBeth. He had probably exhausted his other options for the time being. I'm sure when he started throwing the Krait, Innova had no problem giving him the signature disc in the hopes it would help sales.

In Val's case, the Starfire was most likely a combination of what she would accept and what Innova was willing to give. I doubt that if she chose the Aviar PnA, that they would allow it.

I'm agreeing with you, especially about Val. She throws Terns. Why not a disc like the Roadrunner? No, they give her the almost-unpopular Starfire. In one of her ITB videos, she said her one Starfire was all beat in. Ergo, I just don't see that being her first choice of sig disc.

As to McBeth and the Krait, he was bagging it for a while (he talked about it in an ITB, said he used it in Japan), so it's just gravy for McBeth to get the Krait as a sig disc...

No, not semantical weeds, and my comment there is being taken out of context.

There is a distinct difference in sig discs and Tour Series discs

I thought I made clearin post #101 that I realize I was citing tour discs and mistakenly referred to them as sig discs. The important point is that they are discs with a woman's name on them -- you know, the topic of this thread.

However, for you to call me out on a semantic difference a day after your "semantical weeds" comment in the other thread was hypocritical, and I decided to call you out on that.

I thought I made clearin post #101 that I realize I was citing tour discs and mistakenly referred to them as sig discs. The important point is that they are discs with a woman's name on them -- you know, the topic of this thread.

However, for you to call me out on a semantic difference a day after your "semantical weeds" comment in the other thread was hypocritical, and I decided to call you out on that.

Again, you took my comment out of context in your attack upon me. And once again: the difference between a tour series disc and a production sig disc is not just semantics. They're different.

It depends on the point of the thread.

If the point is to try to establish that Innova should have given Val a signature disc, then confusing the issue with tour series discs (which she did get) muddies the water.

If it's not the point, then whatever. We are random people who don't know each other typing unrelated information and posting them randomly on this here Internets thing and pretending it all matters and/or makes sense. :|

might be addressed somewhere in this thread, but how many regular production discs have a woman's name on it as the standard production disc for any manufacturer? not asking to make a point, but just curious. seems like the only brands that have signature discs as standard production are innova, dynamic, lat 64, and discraft.. most companies seem to do the 'tour series' style signature disc.

All disc models are gender neutral. In theory, even all weights of all models can work for both men and women even though a max weight, overstable disc might work better as a forehand disc in the wind for some women and backhand control disc for some men. My thought for manufacturers is why not consider producing discs with both a champion man's and woman's signatures on their sig disc models?

Let's say some manufacturers have discovered over time that a champion man's sig on a disc increases sales. And some manufacturers either have proof or believe a woman's solo sig on a disc might reduce sales. However, I'm thinking that both signatures on a disc would increase disc sales beyond what the man's sig alone might produce. It should reinforce the idea that discs are gender neutral. And from a PR standpoint, it should present a more positive team image for the manufacturer with solid support for both genders. It might even reduce the stigma in some quarters regarding pink discs since a guy's name would also be on some disc models.

The signature on the disc doesnt matter to me what so ever, whether its male or female. Unless its for a collectible purpose, the only thing that matters to me is the flight and plastic.

The signature on the disc doesnt matter to me what so ever, whether its male or female. Unless its for a collectible purpose, the only thing that matters to me is the flight and plastic.
I think the poll proves that DGCR'ers are probably not the best place to get an objective answer to this type of question. Classic echo chamber.

Most of us realize that the only thing that matters is mold/plastic. Hell... I'd wager plenty of us would prefer our discs to have no stamp whatsoever if it was an option.

All disc models are gender neutral. In theory, even all weights of all models can work for both men and women even though a max weight, overstable disc might work better as a forehand disc in the wind for some women and backhand control disc for some men. My thought for manufacturers is why not consider producing discs with both a champion man's and woman's signatures on their sig disc models?

Let's say some manufacturers have discovered over time that a champion man's sig on a disc increases sales. And some manufacturers either have proof or believe a woman's solo sig on a disc might reduce sales. However, I'm thinking that both signatures on a disc would increase disc sales beyond what the man's sig alone might produce. It should reinforce the idea that discs are gender neutral. And from a PR standpoint, it should present a more positive team image for the manufacturer with solid support for both genders. It might even reduce the stigma in some quarters regarding pink discs since a guy's name would also be on some disc models.

Great idea! Why isn't that a thing? It makes a lot of sense.

I think the poll proves that DGCR'ers are probably not the best place to get an objective answer to this type of question. Classic echo chamber.

Most of us realize that the only thing that matters is mold/plastic. Hell... I'd wager plenty of us would prefer our discs to have no stamp whatsoever if it was an option.

I think it may affect newbie's most and experienced players least... A new player might think that this disc is a girl disc and not feel confident in purchasing it... As for DGCR, I like to believe that this community can discuss things and will do so well... Doesn't happen all the time but if you cut through the noise you do find some gold.

I wouldnt say "prefer" would be accurate. Or maybe I'm not in the majority when I say this... Would plenty of us care if the disc didnt have a stamp? Probably not. But I think most would prefer a disc with a stamp, unless Im planning to dye it.

With the new Team Val, Support Women's Disc Golf deal going around the Internets... I have a question about that, seeking clarification.

It's clearly in response to Innova and her parting ways. So are we supposed to support female pros in an attempt to grow overall female participation? Or should we support women's disc golf in a more bottom up approach? Kind of a micro vs macro argument.

The reason I ask, is we have had many discussions in the past, where no small number of people have stated that the pro side of our sport really doesn't do much to grow the sport on a large scale.

You could argue that Innova supports Women's Disc Golf on a large scale with monetary contributions and such for events. On the flip side, they don't seem to do so well with support of individual female players. So what is the answer?

Does giving women signature discs do much to bring more women (and retain them) into our little world?

With the new Team Val, Support Women's Disc Golf deal going around the Internets... I have a question about that, seeking clarification.

It's clearly in response to Innova and her parting ways. So are we supposed to support female pros in an attempt to grow overall female participation? Or should we support women's disc golf in a more bottom up approach? Kind of a micro vs macro argument.

The reason I ask, is we have had many discussions in the past, where no small number of people have stated that the pro side of our sport really doesn't do much to grow the sport on a large scale.

You could argue that Innova supports Women's Disc Golf on a large scale with monetary contributions and such for events. On the flip side, they don't seem to do so well with support of individual female players. So what is the answer?

Does giving women signature discs do much to bring more women (and retain them) into our little world?

Isn't this discussion derailment the reason for two previous threads getting closed?

Skipping all the debating...

I voted "it's not a factor" because right now it's not a factor. This is entirely due to my knowledge of the sport and the various discs, manufacturers, etc.

I WILL say however, that at a time it was a factor. When I was first starting out in this sport with friends we ran into JK Valkyries and JK Pro Aviars and assumed they were discs for girls, because they had the girl champion names on them. Just like most sports equipment has different variants for men/women we assumed that there might be something similar in disc golf. We refused to throw them and made fun of those that did. We weren't entirely serious about it, but it was something to make fun of so we did.

Skipping all the debating...

I voted "it's not a factor" because right now it's not a factor. This is entirely due to my knowledge of the sport and the various discs, manufacturers, etc.

I WILL say however, that at a time it was a factor. When I was first starting out in this sport with friends we ran into JK Valkyries and JK Pro Aviars and assumed they were discs for girls, because they had the girl champion names on them. Just like most sports equipment has different variants for men/women we assumed that there might be something similar in disc golf. We refused to throw them and made fun of those that did. We weren't entirely serious about it, but it was something to make fun of so we did.

Thanks for stating the obvious in a reasoned, thoughtful manner.
:thmbup: