• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs with a woman's name...

How do you feel about discs with women's names on them?

• I don't care, it's not a factor.

Votes: 252 86.9%
  • I'm more inclined to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I refuse to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • I'm less inclined to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I refuse to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm less inclined to buy/throw a "girl's disc."

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • I'm more inclined to buy/throw a "guy's disc."

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
All disc models are gender neutral. In theory, even all weights of all models can work for both men and women even though a max weight, overstable disc might work better as a forehand disc in the wind for some women and backhand control disc for some men. My thought for manufacturers is why not consider producing discs with both a champion man's and woman's signatures on their sig disc models?

Let's say some manufacturers have discovered over time that a champion man's sig on a disc increases sales. And some manufacturers either have proof or believe a woman's solo sig on a disc might reduce sales. However, I'm thinking that both signatures on a disc would increase disc sales beyond what the man's sig alone might produce. It should reinforce the idea that discs are gender neutral. And from a PR standpoint, it should present a more positive team image for the manufacturer with solid support for both genders. It might even reduce the stigma in some quarters regarding pink discs since a guy's name would also be on some disc models.

I remember Wham-O World Class discs from the mid 70's to about '81 having women's sigs on the discs along with men's. The World Class series were the preferred discs of myself and the people I played with at the time, especially in the higher weights to battle the central Illinois prairie winds. I don't recall anyone even commenting on the presence of a woman's signature on the disc.

I should add that those were freestyle discs to us. We didn't even know that disc golf existed.

The JK Aviar is my putting putter. If just so happened that I liked the feel from day one.
I also threw a pink Sarah Stanhope Wraith for a while because it was light weight for Champion plastic.
I tried a "Throw Pink" Mako 3 and didn't bag it. Just didn't fill a need.
I, in general, love pink discs for their visibility.
I don't throw any discs with a man's name on them, just by chance.

So, other than seeking out JK putters, I don't really care at all about a name on my discs..

I wish I threw like a girl... who had her own signature disc.

I feel some of the options should be
"Did your first purchased disc have a female name on it?"
"Did your first purchased disc have a male name on it?"
"Was your first disc a groove?"
"Did your first purchase have a pros name at all?"

Honestly if I knew how to start a thread I'd make this into one. Someone want to do it for me?

Paul, how do you feel about re-starting the "Ask McBeth a question thread"? I can put it up for you if you're into it...

I'd just like to take this oporitunity to politely second this notion with genuine enthusiasm.
This would be amazing!

Also, I'd like to add to the surely unintented train of "I throw pink" posts. I feel like pink is a very comfortable color for a disc actually. I probably throw about 80% pink. Super easy to find.

Oh the poll... if its a good disc for my form, im gonna throw it no matter whats stamped on it. :thmbup:

I've always wanted disc golf manufacturers to lean a little more to the skateboarding side of the sports world. Giving disc runs to pros to celebrate minor accomplishments (probably with less generous per disc comp) using their input on the colors, graphics and blend or whatever (Philo Roc or 'SHATW' Destroyer after the BSF would have been obvious). The tour support discs are kind of there aesthetically but the charge/purchase method puts me off because I don't 'need' any discs, but for someone like Sexton that may just break even earnings vs expenses it's got to be great to be the beneficiary of folks coveting weirdness. I'd be more likely to on a whim to buy a Champ or Star disc that was stamped with some classic 80's/90's Tourney/Worlds stamp (maybe from the year the disc was approved) than a world champs stamp, well, unless it had a sweet rainbow stripe on it.

Sarah Cunningham Tour Series discs have been for sale in the Innova Factory store for years. Be a white knight with your wallet, not your keyboard and buy one!

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-wraith-sarah-cunningham.html

Or maybe you want to support 3 Time Women's World Champion Des Reading....

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-firebird-des-reading-tour-series.html

Or, you could put your money where your mouth is and buy the Dynamic Disc FPO X-Time disc.....

https://www.dynamicdiscs.net/2016-PDGA-Pro-Worlds-Signature-Series-FPO-X-Time-p/6271.htm

With all this extra focus on women in disc golf this week, why are these discs designed specifically to support women on tour still not sold out? Why?

Grow the female side of the sport through shame and/or guilt?

That might get a few sales in short term but will do nothing for the growth long term.

Grow the female side of the sport through shame and/or guilt?

That might get a few sales in short term but will do nothing for the growth long term.

^^^^^^^^^^this

When I first started disc golf I don't think I would have bought a disc with a woman's name on it. I think that would go with whatever product that I would have bought at that time. Now that I know better I will buy whatever works for me. Putted with JK aviars for years. However being shamed or guilted into buying discs in this PC world will not yield the future results that women and the sport itself want.

That's it, I'm convinced. I'm ordering a Latitude Queen today!

New discs with marketing, for the future:

Siren - attached whistle can be removed
Medusa - only comes in really ugly colors
Godiva - playing nude is optional
Joan of Arc - my favorite, arc, get it, he says with a stupid grin on his face
Catherine - as in, the great-est disc made
Nancy Drew - finds it way through the woods
Janet - any malfunctions are accidental
Venus - you're gonna love this disc
Athena - a thinking person's disc
Kardashian - looks good but made of cheap plastic
Melania - made in Chekoslyvakia

The first disc I bought for myself was a JK Aviar.. After feeling KC plastic and other putters I thought the JK seemed like it would "grab the chains".

I know I thought something about it being a woman's signature disc, but the feel of the disc was much more important to me, even as a newbie.
Exactly what I did when I started. Turns out it's a great driving putter and I still have one in the bag.

So PP and DD released a pre-release PP sig Convict with a COA cert, and the 20 out of the 100 limited ICE colored ones sold out in like 3 minutes. Don't know how I managed to sneak one so quick.

I bag a JK Aviar (blue) and a Yeti (pink). I'm very fond of the JK Aviar so, yes, I guess you could say a woman's name prompted me to buy that disc.

I also own one of those FD "Ladylines". I mainly keep it around to show my female friends how ridiculous it is.

Do I throw like a girl? I wish! (my height and frame are similiar to that of Cat's, but she has much better form...and I have a bigger beer gut :\ )