• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance Goals for 2014

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
Preface to the post: This preface is necessary because 25 people are going to come in here and say "distance doesn't matter, learn to putt, learn to hit fairways, learn to... etc. before thinking about distance!" I'd just like to say - we know. This post has a fun purpose, and so if all you have to say is that you have no distance goals because other things are more important, good for you. I don't care.

My questions:
What are your distance goals for 2014? How far do you want to throw? What distance have you been reaching in years past? What techniques/training methods do you intend to use to get there?

I was edging 400' last fall, consistently hitting 375'. I would like to hit 450' this summer with repeatable golf distance of over 400'.
I need to straighten out my reachback, utilize my hips better, and nail down the heel pivot.

I'd also like to have a deadly and consistent FH of 300'. It's a work in progress as I just started experimenting with it last summer.

350+ FH
400+ BH

on course distance. Working on form flaws so we will see.

Those who say distance doesn't matter don't have distance.

Last summer, I was capping out at about 310-320', but accuracy wasn't where I wanted it to be.

So far (since the snow has melted), something has clicked, and I'm out to about 350' on flat ground, with pretty darn good accuracy. Slowing things down in the winter helped, I think...as well as reading every damn technique thread in here. Working on delaying my reach back and getting more through my core.

While I'd LOVE to be to 400' by the end of the summer, I'd be happy to get to the 375-380' range.

I'm already deucing holes I wasn't able to reach last summer, so it's good to see some progress. At some point this summer, I'll put up a video and figure out what else I can work on.

My distance tops out right around 350'. I don't expect to increase that this year. Instead, my goal is to be more accurate at that distance. My biggest struggles last year were in hitting distance lines in the woods, so that's where my focus will be.

3 years ago i was at 250. next year 300. past year 365. lookin to break 400 for max d this year. consistent would be crazy to throw 400 so im just hoping to huck all my discs out at blue ribbons driving range and have one weasel its way past the 400 mark.

pretty sure im not transferring my weight right. also i spin on my toes not my heel. ill blame ultimate for that

Past: 300 accurately, 350 max
Goal: 350 accurately, 400 max

Forehand: some control over 200 (gotta start somewhere)

Last edited:
I'm sitting at about (max) 400' BH and 400' FH, but the FH is much cleaner and more repeatable. I have been in the process of cleaning up my form since December with the goal of getting comfortable with the 450+ range BH. I'm pretty happy with FH form and distance at the moment, so that is taking a back seat to cleaning up BH.

I was edging 400' last fall, consistently hitting 375'. I would like to hit 450' this summer with repeatable golf distance of over 400'.
I need to straighten out my reachback, utilize my hips better, and nail down the heel pivot.

I'd also like to have a deadly and consistent FH of 300'. It's a work in progress as I just started experimenting with it last summer.

Pretty much this for me. I hurt my shoulder last year and couldn't FH or OH for awhile. My BH got much better but now I can't FH or OH to save my life.

I was getting past 400 sometimes but I would like to hit 450 by the end of the summer. I would like to be able to throw my Boss (maybe even Cannon) and Tern at full speed. I would like to get my FH back where it was (at one point almost all my drives were FH) and I need to redevelop at least a serviceable OH.

In short,
Putters: anything up to 250-275
Mids: up to ~310
FDs: up to ~375
DDs: 9 speed range - up to 450
12 speed or more - 500+

I may be dreaming on the 500+ feet but I saw a lot of improvement last year and I think I can probably do it.

I've already made some strides in throwing the disc farther, but I need MOAR.

300' at will. I can hit it now often, but it's still a good throw for me.
250' FH at will. Again, I've hit it, but my FH consistency farther than 200' is really shaky.

Of course, like Chris said, these take a back seat to putting and accuracy.

I'd like to hit 375' golf lines this summer, I'm averaging around 325' on a good golf drive now.

Also I'd like to hit 250' thumbers, and 200' flicks. (these are very inconsistent right now)

that and putts

omg the putting

Last season I maxed out around 320 for back hand and 380 for forehand with the few anomalies here and there. This winter I worked on my back and hamstring flexibility along with some hip drills. I plan to do a few weeks of field work and filming to get feedback from anyone who will watch. A consistent reach back and pull through is something I am currently working on. If I could get to 370 consistently for my back hands and 400 for my forehands I would be elated.

500' would be fun. Also, if I could throw 400' with a putter, that would be pretty cool.

I've already made some strides in throwing the disc farther, but I need MOAR.

300' at will. I can hit it now often, but it's still a good throw for me.
250' FH at will. Again, I've hit it, but my FH consistency farther than 200' is really shaky.

Of course, like Chris said, these take a back seat to putting and accuracy.

That's where I'm at. I'm hoping to own 300' this year, with perhaps a but more occasionally.

Golf lines around 330'-340' with a max around 360' if I really go for it. Would like to be able to hit 400' this year.

i got a good bump by slowing things down and throwing a lot of putters over the winter. i was topping out ~ 330' feet but threw one in the field in the field 370' a few weeks back and have hit 350' on the course a couple of times this spring. my goal for 2014 is to build consistency in my distance shots and to try to start translating that distance onto some wooded holes.

If you've spent multiple seasons trying to fine tune technique then maybe there is something physically holding you back. Core strength and balance (which is key to good timing) are going to bring the best results after you've knocked out the fundamentals, then it is just muscle memory and building accuracy after that.
Good luck this year guys. If you really want to gain distance, get some time in the field with a teacher who actually bombs and understands why they do...and spend more time on your feet.

Latest posts