• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance????

pmorgan1214

Eagle Member
Can we break down the percentage of disc golfers by distance???

1. 300 feet or less---- 60%
2. 301 ft to 400 ft---- 20%
3. 401 ft to 500 ft---- 10%
4. 501 ft to 600 ft---- 5%
5. 601 ft to 700 ft---- 3%
6. 700 ft++++-------- 2%

i was curious to see what percent are you in????

Ill start off i am in the #2 :| i would like to be in the #3 group:thmbup::thmbup:

Most people I hang out with or come across can break 300...
300 or less is like 30%
3-400 is like 50%
4-500 18%
500+ 2%

No way 20% of all disc golfers throw more than 400 ft. Perhaps 30% of pros with ratings over 970 which might be around 1% of all players.

Hard to put percentages on it, but if I had to guestimate between all of the new players around, veteran players stuck around the 300 mark, and other various players I encounter:

85% probably under 400 feet on flat ground
10% throw over 400 feet
5% over 500 feet

This isn't directed at anyone in particular:

Throwing a big anhyzer that turns over off a 'top of the world' shot doesn't mean you can throw over 500 feet. If this is the case, I threw 600 feet yesterday at CSUMB Oaks~

Props to people who can routinely do this on flat ground, but I've played with tons of people who say they throw 500 feet and I can throw a thumber 50 feet past their average drive (aka, they are full of **** or managed it with elevation and a tail wind).

Thanks for all of the comments.

300 and below--- 50%
300-400------ 40%
400-500 -------- 8%
500++++-------- 2%

also upon this is throwing on FLAT GROUND.. That is a huge difference than throwing down a hill or up a hill.

i was using the udisc app and was throwing right at 360 feet for an average with my longest throws. i finally found a field that i can use for practice with good judgement on distance. :)

There is absolutely no way that half of ALL disc golfers throw 300 feet or more. Half of PDGA members/tourney players, maybe.

When talking about "players," there would probably be an direct correlation between number of times played in the last year and distance. If you count "players" to mean anyone who played in 2013, 90% would be <300 I'd wager.

I throw just over 300', and I'm always surprised that when I play with people I haven't met before, I'm usually outdriving them. I'd guess that 80% under 300' is possibly low, when considering all DG'ers. We live in a bubble on here, where most of us care enough to break that plateau.

I'll add in that I'm a casual player, but do play with some tourney players.

What world did these numbers come from?

Im trying to see where everyone thinks the rest of us are at. :)

There is a lot to take into account for trying to even calculate this data.

There is your nubes who pretty much throw not even 200 feet.

you have your semi intermediate or rec players that like the sport but dont take it seriously.

you have the up and comers that are starting to take it seriously... play 1-2 or 3 times a week

you have your league players that play and go to all the local challenges and tournaments

you have your local proffessionals that only play in the state or in the area and dont travel to all the events.

you have the highest class pro's that are going to every event. These are the 2% of disc golf that we all drool over and want to throw like them.

so question is how big is the begginers??? do they make up 70% do they make up 50%?????

To make it easy I would say:

95% at 300' and below. (Most DG'ers)
4% easily over 325' -maxing under 450' (DGCR dorks)
1% above 450 with only a few "outlier" players capable of throwing 700'+' (pros)

No way 20% of all disc golfers throw more than 400 ft. Perhaps 30% of pros with ratings over 970 which might be around 1% of all players.

Last edited:
The top pros (1000 rated) are less than 1% of tourney players.

I don't think even 1% of disc golfers play tourneys. Talking about the touring pros...that's like the top 1% of the 1% that play tourneys, or the top .01% of all disc golfers.

I do have hard data from the top 36 Open Pros (out of 122) at 2002 Pro Worlds where 28% (10) threw over 400 feet and one was a roller. That's actual golf distance on a flat, wide open hole 570 feet long during play. Yes, it's older data. But even if you allow 10% increase in length with disc technology, the numbers are still pretty low. I would submit that disc technology has increased throwing distance for those below the top level more than the top pros because even then, they had better throwing mechanics allowing them to get more out of those discs than most players.

700'

Outside of distance competitions with tail winds, i don't think anyone throws over 700 feet. And I bet that shots over 600' (on flat ground)rarely happen on actual disc golf courses.