• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Do 2 or 3 grams matter on a putter?

Michaeld61

I just received 3 Aviar putters from Infinite discs. I ordered 175 grams and they are marked 175, but they weigh 172.6, 172.3 and 173.8. Should I care? I am pretty new to this game but it seems like discs should weigh within a gram of what they say. I din't know if I could tell the difference in practice or not. Should I just throw them? This is my first order from Infinite. I usually order from Marshall Street and they are right on.

Thanks, Mike

I just received 3 Aviar putters from Infinite discs. I ordered 175 grams and they are marked 175, but they weigh 172.6, 172.3 and 173.8. Should I care? I am pretty new to this game but it seems like discs should weigh within a gram of what they say. I din't know if I could tell the difference in practice or not. Should I just throw them? This is my first order from Infinite. I usually order from Marshall Street and they are right on.

Thanks, Mike

You live fairly close to the Infinite place; you may want to call them about the off weights, possibly arrange a return or trade.

For the most part, a couple of grams won't matter, and those three discs are pretty close to each other in weight. So if you decide to keep them, they should be okay for you.

So many variables with putters...

Really being off a few grams is no big deal, to me at least. Really all I shoot for is discs from the same batch and color.

Thanks, Mike

What do you feel mike? If it matters it's most likely in your head. Heavy putters do make a difference, they handle wind better, they are just overall more controllable IMO. that being said..... Nah, if it matters in your head then put them in the practice stack but if you throw it and it flies the same as a 175g then its the same.

2X World Champ Barry Schultz mentions that most discs are best a few grams shy of max weight in his last 'in the bag'. I prefer my Pa1's around 170-171g. If you like the color & feel of the plastic just stick with them.

. . . they weigh 172.6, 172.3 and 173.8 . . .

Is your scale calibrated? Serious question. For reasonably accurate weight measurements one would use a calibration weight and do a 2-point calibration curve.

The middle weight differs from 175 grams by 2.4 grams or 1.4%. That's pretty close.

I am fairly picky about weights but I do not notice a couple-three grams difference in putters. But YMMV.

Should I care?

No.*

Should I just throw them?

Yes.**

10 grams is a noticeable difference, 5 is arguable for the more experienced. I have 20ish Clutches around 171-173 and never wrote their true weight on any of them. S'all good.

*(maybe care that the company was wrong, but not that they're a few grams off what you felt you needed)
**(unless you want to prove something to Infinite and make them fix it for you)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great answers. Sounds like I should just throw them! I like the Aviar Xt plastic so I have 3 in the 172 category, and 2 in 174. It sounds like that should do. Thanks for all of your great answers!

Should I care?
Nope.

Should I just throw them?
Yep.

I throw putters marked 172g to 175g and there isn't usually any difference at all that I can notice. I never weigh them, it just doesn't matter if they are +/- a few grams.

A lot of the time putters marked even lighter were fine. I've thrown putters penned as light as 167g and it really wasn't a huge issue; I'd just keep a heavier one in the bag in case the wind was really bad, but truthfully if the wind was bad enough to push around a 167g putter it was going to push around the 175g putter as well. You can either putt in the wind or you can't. Keeping the heavier disc in the bag was more of a psychological crutch than anything.

I had problems with putters penned 164g and lighter, they would start to flip on me off the tee. So someplace between 167g and 164g is my line in the sand.

I've already called them. They literally told me I shouldn't weigh my discs!

LOL That must be a joke. I mean, I understand that scale (especially cheaper non-commercial scales) can be inaccurate, but from my experience with Infinite, having a flippant answer of "you shouldn't weigh them" seems bizarre.

Actually Marshall Street shows a photo of each disc, the one you are ordering, sitting on the scales. This is the main reason I order from them. Having said that, 2 or 3 grams on a putter usually doesn't bother me. Some putters just "feel" heavier than others.

It most likely doesn't but I know I would think about it after the first air ball