• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do I even need distance drivers in NC?

How much distance are you actually giving up with a 9 speed vs 12 speed?

Roughly 30 to 40 feet depending on how froggy I'm feeling. Sometimes it can make the difference between a putt from outside circle two and just inside circle one.

Take note of how your discs fly between home and NC. Should be interesting.

Yep. I've seen the puzzled look on peoples faces when they come up and play at altitude and their favorite hyzer flip disc holds hyzer and goes OB left. I hope I don't have the opposite experience.

I'm pretty sure they don't even sell distance drivers in the state of NC. So they're obviously not needed there.

:|

But then what do brand new players do when they can't get a Destroyer? How will they ever reach those 220' holes?

The same way we reach 500' holes, throw a putter over and over (and over). It's not great for scoring but you only need one disc.....

I've only played a handful in NC and I used a distance driver on a few holes since I had it but if I had only had a speed 9/10 it would have been fine. It's not like every course out there is 100% wooded though.

A few examples:

I think you will likely try and play Angry Beaver and Hornets Nest if you are staying in Charlotte. You can watch last year's DGPT championships to see how Hornets Nest plays. Paul Ulibarri has videos on his channel of him playing Angry Beaver, I'm pretty sure. Or you can go to Michael Holt's channel. Whether you need a distance driver? Depends on your goals.

If you were traveling farther within the state, and were trying to hit historic courses, you might go to Horizons Park or Cedarock Park. Both of those are much more open. Cedarock might require a distance driver if you were thinking you wanted the chance at an eagle, or wanted to make the approach for some birdies easier. Horizons is open and quite short, but extremely pretty.

ETA: if you went to Cedarock, you'd want to do the 36 hole figure-8 with the other course in the park.

Hopefully you have seen a least a few rounds of the DGPT Champ., you will probably want a Distance Driver to see how you stand up vs. the Pros on 12 and 18, at least. Both are mostly open drives down a sewer ROW, great chances to grip it and rip it.

Cedarock is about 90% wide open holes and not a lot of elevation. Plus, will be the site of next year's USWDGC, so you will get to see that course. Located just south of Burlington.

Horizon is the first course in NC, so some good history there. It is so short, and mostly open, you can see about 15-16 of the baskets from the parking lot! Just north of Winston-Salem.

Relative to Charlotte:

If you are planning on playing the shorter courses (in the 5000' range like Reedy Creek), you won't need a distance driver unless you are a bigger fan of skipping them around corners.

If you are planning on playing the medium length courses (in the 6000' range like Eastway, Kilborne) you will find yourself wanting a Distance Driver on 2-4 holes.

If you are playing on of the longer courses (> 7000' like Hornets Nest, Angry Beaver) you will want them on a bunch of holes but you will need to be able to hit gaps with them.

Hornets Nest is on my list but (as lame as this sounds) I will likely be playing the short layout to cater to my wife's game and her bad knees.

Looking at the short layout playing for even par would mean averaging about 156' per throw. I get that actually playing the course isn't as simple as the math would indicate, but it does give me an indicator of sort of what to expect on a course I haven't played.

b458a6b36a11e41c80f8cb00547a1e11.jpg

For anyone wondering how I arrived at that 156' shot average, if the course plays 6411 feet you will cover the entire distance in 41 throws (6411/41=156.3). 41 is 18 under par so if you cover all of the distance with your 41 shots then you should (theoretically) have very makeable putts for the remaining 18 shots to cover even par. Any throw you make beyond 156' just increases your chances of shooting under par. Every shot that comes up short of 156' makes shooting par more difficult. For fun, I might do a hole by hole breakdown because I think the flaw in my math will rear it's head on a couple of longer holes.

beb1cb9e4db543d36c98792e3dd47579.jpg

Hole 1 - 156 tee shot, 97 upshot, tap in par.

Hole 2- 156 tee shot, 44 foot layup, drop in par.

Hole 3- 156, 156, 156, 43 foot putt for par but likely a bogey. Although picking up a couple extra feet on a couple of the first three shots will put you inside the circle for a par putt.

Hole 4- 156, 156, 17 foot putt for par.

Hole 5- 156, 92 upshot, easy putt.

Anyways, you get the general idea of where I'm going. 200' is easy distance even for beginners and if you can just stay out of trouble and your putting is decent shooting at or below par doesn't take big distance.

I am not sure which courses are on your list, how far you throw, etc. But most Charlotte courses tend to have at most only a couple of holes where I think I'd need a Distance Driver, and some of those holes tend to be designed where they feel like they are tempting the Distance Driver, but are better off without.

Do you have a list of courses on your list so far?

beb1cb9e4db543d36c98792e3dd47579.jpg

Hole 1 - 156 tee shot, 97 upshot, tap in par.

Hole 2- 156 tee shot, 44 foot layup, drop in par.

Hole 3- 156, 156, 156, 43 foot putt for par but likely a bogey. Although picking up a couple extra feet on a couple of the first three shots will put you inside the circle for a par putt.

Hole 4- 156, 156, 17 foot putt for par.

Hole 5- 156, 92 upshot, easy putt.

Anyways, you get the general idea of where I'm going. 200' is easy distance even for beginners and if you can just stay out of trouble and your putting is decent shooting at or below par doesn't take big distance.

My discs don't know math. :\

The courses I like that I've played here, a Guts disc or 100E mold Frisbee is more useful/fun than a warp speed driver unless I play something like Cedarock where several holes are "throw it far in that general direction" :p

I think for most people, if we're being quite realistic, can play golf on any course with speed 9 or lower discs just as effectively as if they had big rim drivers. There are definitely rounds on my local courses where I use 11-12s, but they rarely net me an gain to my score. Don't feel bad if you take out your fast stuff for more technical shot shaping needs

I am not sure which courses are on your list, how far you throw, etc. But most Charlotte courses tend to have at most only a couple of holes where I think I'd need a Distance Driver, and some of those holes tend to be designed where they feel like they are tempting the Distance Driver, but are better off without.

Do you have a list of courses on your list so far?

Thanks. Honestly, I don't break out the wide rimmed stuff much anyways so I think I'll leave them at home. If it ends up costing me a stroke or two during casual play I'm not going to cry over it.

As my form is always evolving and improving, my distance has actually gotten better over the last six months or so. Reliable, consistent putter distance is 225-250. Mids general get me 270-290. I've pulled all of my speed 7 stuff out of the bag because it all overlapped with my mids and/or 9 speeds. Depending on the disc and the shot, my speed 9 stuff gets me out between 300 and 345, maybe a little longer but not consistently. I mostly bag Trespasses if I want bigger distance and have pushed them out to 390 give or take but generally they'll only get me to that 360 range so depending on how well I'm throwing on a given day they might get me 60 extra feet of distance or maybe only 25 ish.

I only started my list based off of course length (thinking of my wife) and pictures of the holes so maybe I picked some winners and their could easily be some duds on my list.

In no particular order,

Hornets Nest
Plantation Ruins at Winget
Bradford Park
Reedy Creek
Kilborne
Blair Mill Park
Creekside
Cane Creek Park

Also stuck a couple of nine hole courses on there in case the wife's knees get too bad.

Rob Wallace Park
Harrisburg Park

Still open to venturing further out from Charlotte to play as well. We like to just kind of wing it and hope for the best.

Latest posts