• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you 'donate' to Pros?

I guess it begs the question, what does a current Discraft/Innova/etc. sponsorship pay to sponsored players?

The sponsors aren't going to spend more on sponsorships than they expect it will generate in business. From my perspective, while I might not buy a brand that doesn't sponsor any top level players, it doesn't make much difference to me whom they're sponsoring or how full their trophy case is. So while it matters that they sponsor somebody on the NT, it may not matter much whom they sponsor. If that's the case, there's not going to be any bidding wars to sponsor Player X, and the value of top sponsorships isn't going to go up. If I'm right, there's not going to be much money in being sponsored either. Of course this could all change if there are galleries of spectators following certain particular charismatic pros around the course.

I think you guys forget to realize that the sport is "HUGE." HA. Sh*ts free guys. Come on pay to play is the only way things are going to change. Whens the last time you played a round of ball golf for free... The only money being made is through merch and the AMs have that covered. Companies dont care if the sport grows by leaps and bounds they are already getting theirs. Most open players win and get discs to sell as a bonus.... That costs the company nothing...

I guess it begs the question, what does a current Discraft/Innova/etc. sponsorship pay to sponsored players?

From what I think I know.

They get a cut from "world champ" discs if they have one. Rumor is Ken Climo made good money from this.

They get a bonus for a top finish. The higher tier the more compensation. Low teir you might only get entery fee covered if you win.

The Jenkins are the only ones who get any type of travel paid for.

..and that depends on the level of sponsorship or who you are and what you have done on and off the course.

They Readings may collect a check from Innova for their work with the EDGE program.

I think you guys forget to realize that the sport is "HUGE." HA. Sh*ts free guys. Come on pay to play is the only way things are going to change. Whens the last time you played a round of ball golf for free... The only money being made is through merch and the AMs have that covered. Companies dont care if the sport grows by leaps and bounds they are already getting theirs. Most open players win and get discs to sell as a bonus.... That costs the company nothing...

What?

Golf costing money per round vs disc golf being free isn't the differance. The differance is a disc costs $20 at the most and a set of clubs is $200 at the least with the balls being expensive as well (if you suck).

What?

Golf costing money per round vs disc golf being free isn't the differance. The differance is a disc costs $20 at the most and a set of clubs is $200 at the least with the balls being expensive as well (if you suck).

Ok, Im wrong. I forgot this is DGCR and my opinion doesnt matter. :doh:

Since when does a course sponsor a ball golfer?

I'm not sure if I understand what you're trying to ask, but the money from pay-to-play or from spectator admission to an event would get to the players through bigger payouts, not through bigger sponsorships.

One of the top discraft guys that lives in the santa cruz area sells tons of discs and also plays dubs with the masses to help scratch up tht extra cash.

Innova Team Star has it REAL GOOD (and rightfully so).
On top of the bonuses, they get tournament entries paid for at least the NTs and Majors as well as some travel expenses taken care of.

edit- looks like the team structure changed this year, so not sure what team star gets now...

Last edited:
Come on pay to play is the only way things are going to change.
Personally speaking, I think money made from the masses to play a course, should go back into the course, and in nearly every current model it does. That doesn't translate into money helping out touring pros, nor should it.

Its sad enough we have local clubs draining their league funds to get added cash for their A-tier so they can attract some out of town pros, who will proceed to take the money well, out of town.

I agree with scarp. It is unlikely money from spectators will make payout fatter.

Its sad enough we have local clubs draining their league funds to get added cash for their A-tier so they can attract some out of town pros, who will proceed to take the money well, out of town.

If the only way a club can run a true A or B tier is by draining their club cash or on the backs of AM entry fees, they should just run a C tier. Every event I run that is advertised higher than a C tier is paid for by cash sponsors.

No I'm talking about touring pro ball golfers

If your a somebody in ball golf such as Woods, and Mickelson and the like, you know the top ranked players in the world, tournaments will fork over cash for an appearance fee to get you to play in their tournament...

IMO Disc Golf even though I love it will not be taken seriously. Unless it works out like xtreme sports have in recent years. Big disc companies have no problem not paying large amounts of money to their sponsored players for that reason. They are fine with selling the product as it is.. We need outside sponsors like RedBull, Monster, etc. Then people won't have to "donate" to the open field. If you bring the pay to play aspect of it into play. IMO it would bring some better type of notoriety to the sport rather than it just being "free". Plus with pay to play you could have better amenities like clubhouses, cleaner courses and just more courses to ourselves rather than public parks.

If your a somebody in ball golf such as Woods, and Mickelson and the like, you know the top ranked players in the world, tournaments will fork over cash for an appearance fee to get you to play in their tournament...

The actual course does not.

These kids aren't getting rich, or health insurance, or a retirement fund. A handful have made it a career. They ask for it because people are willing to give. Feldberg has done pretty good parlaying his talents with tournaments. Getting paid for clinics, travel expenses for playing tournaments that he usually wins...working innova for whatever he can turn into loot. Any way you slice it, the life is a hustle, and when you realize it from that perspective you can understand how some of the stories from the road happen.