• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you 'donate' to Pros?

I think that we should set up a donation fund for Sidewinder22 for all of his helpful form advice. :)

One of the top female pros is getting married this spring. Her wedding invitation request no gifts bau says if you want to buy a gift her and her fiance are asking for gas cards to help them tour the country on their summer disc golf tour. I was even asked if I could find them a placde to at least shower if not crash for a few days between here and MN.

I've made to calls on their behave and I have found them a place in Minnesota (my parents) to crash.

I don't donate to pros. If someone else wants to, that's up to them. I don't know the method they use to ask for these donations, but i'm sure it's just that. Asking. I don't think they're holding a gun to anyone's head until they give. Can't hurt to "ask".

Two points have come up in this thread that leave me scratching my head...

The mark up thing- Are we talking about stock discs here? If so, ive only heard and expierenced the opposite of that. If were talking doss challengers, i see no problem as its a special blend. Further more, i think this is a great way for the sponsors to help their players.

Online instructional vids - So i know feldy had some vids but he was looking for profit on those so i dont see how that counts here. (not that i see a problem with charging, i purchased all the instructional vids i could find but couldnt find where or how to buy the ones that were taken down)
The others that are well known are the dc vids. I havent seen any of their top players besides liz giving advice on there.

Are there vids i dont know about?
If the thought of donations is based on instructional help, imho, blake, beato, and bradley have made more info packed vids.

A couple of pros worked a job today during their offseason. They planned and ran a tournament. That takes a lot of preparation and hard work. And some people have the nerve to call it asking for donations.

Truth of the matter, disc golf is not ready for a National Tour. Those that participate in it do it because they choose to, not because it's a good career. They make a conscious choice to scrape by to participate in a full time hobby.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. I'll support any pro that is working an actual job when they can, or doing something more than asking for donations. Most people call traveling around the country and playing golf a vacation ...

A couple thoughts.....

-Nothing wrong with asking for donations or helping out pros you support.

-"Donating" by underperforming at a tournament isn't a donation, it's an entry fee for you to participate in an event. If you win and give the cash to a touring player, that's a donation.

-The national tour needs reform. Seldom do all the top players play all of these, often an elite player can win more playing in a well funded a tier with less competition, the schedule isn't conducive to touring affordably on the road or providing a and b tiers btw nts to attract touring pros, As much sponsorship as possible needs to be poured into these to attract the players and fans, and all NTs should be filmed and broadcast.

- The industry is at a point where changes need to be made regarding the disitribution of plastic by manufacturers. As a disc retailer, it stinks that I need to "compete" for sales with local clubs and pros that I like to support. My preference would be to provide coordinated regional wholesale distribution with the manufacturers to the clubs/pros through the major regional retailers.

A couple of pros worked a job today during their offseason. They planned and ran a tournament. That takes a lot of preparation and hard work. And some people have the nerve to call it asking for donations.

Jenb-you hit it right on the head. We have to realize that most people think if there is even a dime left over to go toward you next event or if you don't lose money on your event, you're in someway stealing players money.

I have no problem with those that run events taking a fee off of the top and profitting from the price difference from wholesale to retail on AM payout. It it wasn't for that difference in some of my areas smaller events, none of the bigger events would happen.

Well, since they themselves said that $10 per pro entry was a donation to their touring, some people may be right.

"For pros $10 will go towards me and eric." - Paige Pierce

http://funkytowndiscgolf.com/2012/01/paige-and-erics-2012-fundraiser/ - from this web site

I hope they had great success!

Last edited:
Jenb-you hit it right on the head. We have to realize that most people think if there is even a dime left over to go toward you next event or if you don't lose money on your event, you're in someway stealing players money.

I have no problem with those that run events taking a fee off of the top and profitting from the price difference from wholesale to retail on AM payout. It it wasn't for that difference in some of my areas smaller events, none of the bigger events would happen.

In this case, it was billed as a non-sanctioned fundraiser that was trophy only for ams, and 66% cash payout to pros. Lunch was provided at reduced cost, the players packs were worth more than the entry fee, and everyone knows that TDs are allowed to deduct players packs expenses and lunch expenses from the entry fee. They ran a raffle for donated items that sold over 1200 tickets, and had side games like a CTP for a donated basket, and a putting contest for other donated items. So basically, the "donors" were the sponsors who donated the players pack items, the basket, the CTP prizes, the lunches, putting contest prizes, raffle prizes, and bought tee signs.

But some ams were whining that they wouldn't play because "Why should they donate to help pros tour? That's the sponsors responsibility." :doh:

Well, the sponsors did come through with all of those donated items, and the pros threw a fun disc golf themed carnival for us at bargain prices. :thmbup:

With the reduced lunch cost deducted from pro payouts, that probably raises the pro payout to at least 80% instead of 66%. If non-PDGA members had been charged $10 extra, this event would have met all of the requirements to be a C-tier from what I can tell. Good job guys! :hfive:

In this case, it was billed as a non-sanctioned fundraiser that was trophy only for ams, and 66% cash payout to pros. Lunch was provided at reduced cost, the players packs were worth more than the entry fee, and everyone knows that TDs are allowed to deduct players packs expenses and lunch expenses from the entry fee. They ran a raffle for donated items that sold over 1200 tickets, and had side games like a CTP for a donated basket, and a putting contest for other donated items. So basically, the "donors" were the sponsors who donated the players pack items, the basket, the CTP prizes, the lunches, putting contest prizes, raffle prizes, and bought tee signs.

But some ams were whining that they wouldn't play because "Why should they donate to help pros tour? That's the sponsors responsibility." :doh:

Well, the sponsors did come through with all of those donated items, and the pros threw a fun disc golf themed carnival for us at bargain prices. :thmbup:

With the reduced lunch cost deducted from pro payouts, that probably raises the pro payout to at least 80% instead of 66%. If non-PDGA members had been charged $10 extra, this event would have met all of the requirements to be a C-tier from what I can tell. Good job guys! :hfive:

When did paying to enjoy a tournament become 'not enough'? I run one event each year that pays 100 of entry fees back to AM divisions and adds cash to the pro division and everyone gets a player pack that includes mutliple premium discs, tshirt and stash minis and on top of that CTPs with a total retail value of over $500 and players will still complain.

Had I been able to, I would have played in that event to support them going on tour. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Truth of the matter, disc golf is not ready for a National Tour. Those that participate in it do it because they choose to, not because it's a good career. They make a conscious choice to scrape by to participate in a full time hobby.

Disc golf is ready for a Regional Tour setup. Create regional divisions with select winners from these regions playing in one national tournament. This not only increases a grassroots type mentality but allows the "pros" to have real jobs while participating on tournaments on the weekends.

I would pay a small spectating fee ($5 or less) to follow a "pro" card around with the winnings going directly toward the pro division winner. I would also support disc golf related activities put on (clinics) or items sold by the pro (such as their winnings), but not directly donate.

The PDGA is trying to push something that just isn't there. A building will crumble if it doesn't have a good foundation. Build a good base and then grow the sport vertically.

^ That's pretty much how I see it. In the "real" world, people make money by selling something valuable to other people. Begging isn't normally a viable solution, but hey, there are people who make a living at panhandling, so if pro disc golfers can figure out a way to make it work, I'm not going to tell them they can't. If I were giving a pro disc golfer personal advice, though, I'd suggest they could probably make more money and have higher self-esteem by selling lessons than by asking for handouts.

The big picture solution is pretty simple to me: professional athletes make a living by generating ticket sales to the events they play in, so if the PDGA, or the disc golf community, or whoever, believes pro disc golfers should be making a living as disc golfers, they should commit to buying and selling spectator admission fees to events on the pro tour. This would require permission from the landowners and the ability to control access to the course. Good luck!

Last edited:
The funny thing is - I doubt people would pay. I think the reality would sink in quickly; pro DG'ers are playing to make money and have fun (avoid actual employment). If the payouts continued without the spectators something tells me they wouldn't be real upset. Sponsors are eventually going to have to come up with the cash - you can only find so many suckers willing to buy overpriced plastic, participate in non-sanctioned tourneys, etc. DG sponsorship is currently a joke.

The big picture solution is pretty simple to me: professional athletes make a living by generating ticket sales to the events they play in, so if the PDGA, or the disc golf community, or whoever, believes pro disc golfers should be making a living as disc golfers, they should commit to buying and selling spectator admission fees to events on the pro tour. This would require permission from the landowners and the ability to control access to the course. Good luck!

Agreed, there is no such thing as overpriced plastic. The market determines the price. If someone is willing to pay - it's not overpriced.

pro DG'ers are playing to make money and have fun (avoid actual employment).

Most touring players are professional athletes trying to make a living competing in a sport they love, that hasn't made it big yet. They don't get medical or life insurance, they don't have a 401k plan, and they don't get PTO or sick days. I seriously doubt they are trying to avoid employment, any more than a professional baseball, basketball, or football player.

I donate to Pros every time I play the Open division:)

If you want to see the sport played at the highest possible level then I don't see anything wrong with supporting the top players and helping them focus on their game.

Overpriced plastic? Coming from someone with a Champ Classic Roc in the bag.:confused:

I, myself would pay to see the top card at a course like Fountain Hill's or Minnesota Majestic compete. I think many others would pay a small fee as well. Do I think they do this for fun? Of course they do. But I also believe in what they believe in, that the sport is growing and there has to be some people out touring the country showing/proving how amazing the sport is. You don't have to donate to them, but it should not matter that other people do. Jealousy is what it seems like to me...

Sponsors are eventually going to have to come up with the cash ... DG sponsorship is currently a joke.

The sponsors aren't going to spend more on sponsorships than they expect it will generate in business. From my perspective, while I might not buy a brand that doesn't sponsor any top level players, it doesn't make much difference to me whom they're sponsoring or how full their trophy case is. So while it matters that they sponsor somebody on the NT, it may not matter much whom they sponsor. If that's the case, there's not going to be any bidding wars to sponsor Player X, and the value of top sponsorships isn't going to go up. If I'm right, there's not going to be much money in being sponsored either. Of course this could all change if there are galleries of spectators following certain particular charismatic pros around the course.

Last edited:

Latest posts