• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Drone plastics

SirRaph

Double Eagle Member
I've recently moved back to The Hive for my midrange lineup, and am trying to find what to use for overstable duties. I've been using the 2010 Ace Race (Hornet), which I love for shots where I want the glide and fade. However, I struggled keeping it from flipping into a headwind. So I'm thinking about trying the Drone again.

I had a worlds Z-Drone that flew like it was made of granite - that is to say, it didn't fly much at all. But I did like an FLX Drone I threw from my brother's bag.

In which plastic is the Drone most workable?

^^ second this. I think it makes the low speed fade and skip a little more controllable. I'm not sure why DC doesn't make the Drone in regular ESP plastic but I'm happy with it.

^^ second this. I think it makes the low speed fade and skip a little more controllable. I'm not sure why DC doesn't make the Drone in regular ESP plastic but I'm happy with it.

They don't make it because it is ridiculously stiff. It's stiff enough in FLX, but it's insanely stiff in ESP.

I still use the Pro D Drones, but I've been struggling to keep finding them in the gummier, more resilient D plastic. I've been throwing some FLX Drones that belong to my friends though, and I'm probably about to make the switch.

how heavy is your Hornet? my 165 flips some but my 173 won't
or just get a Z when they ship (I can't wait!)

My pro d drone comes out anytime there is even a chance of wind. I'm looking into trying out one in the FLX plastic this winter, a nice bright pink one! My white pro d seems to like to to hide in the snow...

Yeah you must have a light hornet, or a beast arm. Get a 175 or even a max weight and that bad boy isn't gonna turn on you.

Though I have a FLX Drone and love it for specialty shots. They're both good discs and at this point I'm not sure which one is going to make the cut.

Yeah you must have a light hornet, or a beast arm. Get a 175 or even a max weight and that bad boy isn't gonna turn on you.

Well, I don't have a beast arm. My drone is 175g. It was actually a shot into a pretty stiff headwind. Finessed it on a hyzer, gust came in and flipped it flat...sailing it down a steep hill.

I have had both, the FLX was more stable and dropped like a rock. The Z actually had some glide, but would flip flat in a stiff headwind, the FLX has never even tried to turn, just dive left.

I love my Pro D drone. I can throw it out and have it come back without worrying about it skipping like the other plastics.

For my money the flx drone is one of the most consistent, dependable discs ever made. I can't imagine playing a tournament without one in the bag.

And in our ace race lots of people were having trouble with the hornet flipping when thrown flat.

Last edited:
I just recently have gone to a wasp instead of my FLX Drone b/c our home league course for winter months doesn't really require it, but if I were to play in a tourney or a new course I would always throw it in just b/c it's so predicable. I tried it in pro d hated it b/c it wasn't the drone I was use to, it was an overstable disc, not an OVERSTABLE disc like the FLX is.

I also like the drone for forehand approaches where I could throw a putter, but with the drone there is much less work involved. Pretty much point and shoot, let the disc do the work. Off the tee it's more valuable on shorter courses and anytime you need distance control, but like atl_scott said, I couldn't imagine playing a tourney without one either. So $$$ in the wind.

I have a Z-Drone and FLX-Drone in my bag. Basically, the FLX one is just a backup in case I lose the Z, but the FLX one comes out occasionally when I need a bit more overstability. I tried the Pro-D's but they beat in too quickly and stop becoming what a Drone should be.

After reading this thread I would like to go toss my FLX drone some more. Too bad its the same color as all this chit that fell out the sky the other day or I would.

^^^Just a guess, but I wonder if the esp drone dilemma had to do with some issue with a mold DGA wanted to mass produce in "ESP-like" plastic. Someone was saying DGA ordered the shockwave from discraft when they discontinued the torque.Then there is the more commonly known saga between the Rouge and SurgeSS.

"As for the drone"..... To go out on a limb, I would throw a Z cyclone. The disc will get farther than the Drone but is a limited distance disc. The Z cyclone is quite workable and is capable of drone-like finishes.

Latest posts