• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever discover an unknown course?

nemdisc7

I don't post on here much, sorry if this has been a topic. However, for my job I frequently go to different parts of the state. Before I leave, I usually come here or discgolf scene to see what courses are in that area so I can play them, time allowing. Well... on a recent work trip I am driving into a town that has three courses (two of which I have played) listed. I get about two miles from this town and see a church with... BASKETS! I pull in the parking lot, discover the map of a nine hole course on a sign and play it. It was a good 9 hole course, with decent distance, design and everything. Come to find out the course had been there for at least four years, but no one listed it on any websites (I have since done so).

Does anyone else have stories like this?

Perhaps that church doesn't want it listed. I could see them thinking it would bring in too much traffic and interfere with the daily functions of the church. Or perhaps they just didn't know it could be listed somewhere. Idk.

But to your question: No, I've never been in that situation. Every course I've played has been listed already, somewhere.

Back in the day when a new course went in it happened a couple times. We've got a lot more traveling DG'ers out and about, so I don't need to seek such places out anymore.

I do want to stress, anytime you find an unlisted course on private property, please be sure you have the owner's permission to list it here. Some folks want to keep their courses on the down low for a reason.

I remember someone on here telling a story about how they found an old wooden teesign while on a hike. Been awhile though and I cant remember who it was...

I see courses around the Portland Metro where allot of the corporate campuses like intel, tektronix, xerox etc have private courses. These aren't listed on dgcr either. Theyre not top notch, but pretty cool the company's think of putting their land to easy use like a dg course.

I've been invited to one!

No mention of it anywhere on DGCR or UDisc. Had a friend invite me and say "better bring beer and pizza toppings" so obviously I was down with it already but usually I'd do a little research to find out what I'm in for. It was kinda nice to just go in blind and be pleasantly surprised at the level of care and play on display, with notions untainted if you will.

Was also sworn to secrecy after playing, as it's a private invite-only course and they've been trying to keep things subdued for the bitchy neighbors. Everybody has their reasons.

I've played quite a few courses that aren't listed anywhere, most of which are private property courses where the owners don't want to be listed for fear of random people showing up unexpectedly. Often, it's their home not their business, and the course is there for their own enjoyment (and the enjoyment of select friends), not for public consumption.

I'll second the notion that one shouldn't presume to publicly list an otherwise unlisted course. Unless the course is brand new, it likely isn't listed for a reason. Better to try to contact the stewards of the course and find out why it's a "hidden" gem rather than just plow ahead with posting it publicly.

I've played quite a few courses that aren't listed anywhere, most of which are private property courses where the owners don't want to be listed for fear of random people showing up unexpectedly. Often, it's their home not their business, and the course is there for their own enjoyment (and the enjoyment of select friends), not for public consumption.

I'll second the notion that one shouldn't presume to publicly list an otherwise unlisted course. Unless the course is brand new, it likely isn't listed for a reason. Better to try to contact the stewards of the course and find out why it's a "hidden" gem rather than just plow ahead with posting it publicly.

This is very true. The course I mentioned above had actually been listed by someone at some point and things got way too crazy- 40 people showing up to a private residence for private league, neighbors complaining about parking and noise and people etc... The owner had to ask to have the listings removed and put up signs saying "Private! Invite only!" and basically "be that guy" because it was getting out of hand.

In the 1990s, in a pre-digital world (at least for me), I would take wandering trips around the country, exploring backroads and small towns and playing whatever courses were listed in the printed PDGA Directory. They were few and far between.

I was somewhere in or near Iowa, and the backroad I was following dead-ended into a 4-lane highway. Across the road was a high school, so I pulled over to it to stop and study a map, and decide which way to go. When I finished and put down the map, I looked out the window and there was a basket about 40' from me. I hadn't noticed it pulling in because it never crossed my mind that there would be anything of interest in a high school parking lot.

I don't remember the name, but there's an arboretum of sorts next to a school, and a pretty 9-hole course in it.

I ran into several other little 9-hole courses---seems every little town in Iowa has one in their town park---but that was the most startling.

Been there done that. Played a tourney on a unlisted course that was waaaaay out in the sticks here in Michigan. I don't even want to mention the name here of the course out of respect for the landowner. It sure felt like a real privilege to play there though. That is a special piece of property for sure. If it were listed here I'd probably rate it right up there with places like The Canyons or Flip City.

On the other hand I found a course at Silver Creek Township hall southwest-ish of Traverse City, Michigan recently. Funny thing was it isn't listed here on DGCR but is listed in the Udisc directory. I thought seriously about going through the trouble of gathering the info to list it and playing the course but it was such a raging piece of poo I could not bring myself to go through the effort of what I was going to definitely rate a zero.

-Dave

On the other hand I found a course at Silver Creek Township hall southwest-ish of Traverse City, Michigan recently. Funny thing was it isn't listed here on DGCR but is listed in the Udisc directory. I thought seriously about going through the trouble of gathering the info to list it and playing the course but it was such a raging piece of poo I could not bring myself to go through the effort of what I was going to definitely rate a zero.

-Dave

I'd say even if a course is listed in one place but not another, it probably isn't a good idea to add it to other lists without permission. If only for the possibility that the listing you found might have been done without authorization and isn't welcome by the course owner.

I was going for a walk one day and I saw a basket in the lawn of Dean Health. It was crazy because it was unlisted and only a block from where I was living at the time.

It was pretty exciting to walk over there and to discover 5 catchers laid out around the building.

Thanks for the lectures on trespassing, I was unaware that was frowned upon. For the record the sign at the course said it was a public course. I did get permission afterwards to add it to disc golf websites.

Some of you had neat stories, thanks for that.You never know where a basket can grow.

I was in Idaho recently. I stayed in Idaho Falls on my way to Jackson, WY. I played the little 9-hole courses near my hotel (while my wife was still sleeping), and on my way back to the hotel, I saw some baskets out of the corner of my eye. Upon investigation, there was a full 18 holes course at the community college.

Knowing the course management may not want to be listed, I found the local club on Facebook and sent them a message about putting the course on DGCR. They didn't reply, but within a day someone put it up. Here's a link:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10149

DSCJNKY

I was in Idaho recently. I stayed in Idaho Falls on my way to Jackson, WY. I played the little 9-hole courses near my hotel (while my wife was still sleeping), and on my way back to the hotel, I saw some baskets out of the corner of my eye. Upon investigation, there was a full 18 holes course at the community college.

Knowing the course management may not want to be listed, I found the local club on Facebook and sent them a message about putting the course on DGCR. They didn't reply, but within a day someone put it up. Here's a link:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10149

DSCJNKY

WOW! 5 other courses within 4 miles of this one?
You go, Idaho Falls!!

I've found a couple here on my 14 mile long 7 mile wide Island.. There's one I'd like to play where I've done some work but the old fella didn't know where it started since his kids set it up. So one day... played two other private courses here unlisted and there is one my neighbour put in that I really want to play but his wife isn't too into lots of people showing up.. Don't blame her it can be a gong show.

We had a fire up here six years ago from a dropped cherry off a smoke, scary ****! Every year no matter how many times I say no smoking while out on the course someone always does last year someone put one out in a tree stump and it smoldered until another group watered it. It is too bad there are ignorant people we are one incident away from shutting it down.

For insurance purposes I do not advertise my course the annual throw together dubs tourney is word of mouth I have almost 100 friends and if anyone lists my place on Udisc I will freaking kill you.

Haha I was tempted to list it on DGCR and give it a five rating which would likely be undisputed regardless of accuracy.

.....and if anyone lists my place on Udisc I will freaking kill you.

Haha I was tempted to list it on DGCR and give it a five rating which would likely be undisputed regardless of accuracy.

Once it gets listed anywhere, you'll never corral it. Other people will list it on less-frequented sites, and there are sites that just scrape other sites and to create their own listings.

Hi @iDiscgolf,

All three of these private courses are listed on DGCR and have been for some time.
Some welcome visitors like the Xerox course while the Tektronic course sits in a business park but I encountered no security guards while others have. The Intel course has no trespassing signs posted so play at your risk. But they all count on DGCR.

I see courses around the Portland Metro where allot of the corporate campuses like intel, tektronix, xerox etc have private courses. These aren't listed on dgcr either. Theyre not top notch, but pretty cool the company's think of putting their land to easy use like a dg course.

Several summers ago, Mrs. ru4por had dragged me out to a crap show. High end gig with entertainment and a civil war re-enactment camp back on the hill of a park. I convinced her to go check out the cannons, set to fire at the top of the hour. As we got back into the park, lo and behold.....BASKETS. I was familiar with the area and had no idea they were there. Turns out to be a crappy nine hole course. I headed back to the car to grab a mid and putter. Started to play, but angry civil war "vets" (blue and grey) were soon objecting. Given the cannons and all, I packed it in. I have never been back.

I was fishing at a park off the Mississippi this summer when I noticed a sign for DG. I was excited but quickly let down when I only found some flags and spots for future baskets. Layout seemed nice! :| Not going to lie I was playing it in my head already haha.

Latest posts