• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever hit a random wall and just Have no desire to play DG?

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
So....this is really weird and horrible timing - but - I haven't played much the last month - and I have oddly lost interest in the sport (for the moment) like I don't care about going out to play right now - - I was a single dad this past 4 days (my wife was outta town) and I spent a LOT of time with my daughter - it was a good time -------I haven't seen my regular buddies for a bit since its summer and we all have plans etc -----so my desire to play kinda just disappeared ----which is REALLY weird since I usually think about DG 90% of my time ----and I ALWAYS want to play.......the problem, I HAVE A HUGE TOURNAMENT this week! like, Fri,Sat,Sun ---- I haven't practiced much ---- I don't really...care? I guess I was getting really worried and practicing putting in the yard and getting to the course when I could but now I feel like....maybe I just practice putt and hopefully when tourney time comes I feel the urge and I save up all that energy to put to work!

This happens sometimes where I just lose interest for like....a week? or two---then I get the itch again and fly back into it and hopefully play well. IDK last time I prepped for a tourney I played great the week prior then I played in the tourney and did just Meh ----so maybe I'm saving all my good shots haha?

What I'm getting at-------anyone else randomly lose interest (at terrible timing?) :confused:

It happens to me all the time, too. Prior to the review I wrote yesterday...my last review was in December. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this sport, but now I'm only playing a couple times a quarter, whereas it used to be a couple times a week when I was in college. Life happens and you just squeeze it in when you can. :)

Go walk a long scenic course with just a putter. Enjoy the serenity, the outdoors, etc. The urge will come back. ;)

I know it will, it always does - but its SO weird - also I have a big tournament this week, like the biggest in the tri-state area - and I'm playing in OPEN again like, TOP GUYS ----maybe I'm just not getting too nervous or worried and that may actually HELP me - because in times past I was TOO anxious and actually F up ----so maybe my body knows this and is like 'nah dude, it''ll be fiiiiine' :|

I understand the struggle.

First off it sounds like this wrek you had a great time with your kid. Kids are WAY more important than disc golf (or for that matter any sport, in fact way more important than almost anything else). Spending time with them helps us understand what is REALLY important and what is less important.

Secondly it sounds like maybe you are turning disc golf into work. That can be a great way to kill a hobby.

I did that with cycling as a younger man. It was a hobby, became an obsessive hobby, became a part time job, because a full time job, became a career, until the day I realized I just didn't love the sport any more. When it becomes something we have to do - work... for many people it kills the passion.

If it were me, I would back off a bit, forget the stats or your rating for a bit. Focus more on kids, having fun, etc.

The passion will come back and when it does you will be rested, refreshed and ready to go full speed again.

Perhaps one of the best things for your game before a big tournament is to not overly stress and practice for it.

My suggestion would be to just enjoy it.

Personally I find myself playing a little bit better after a break. The body has recover and the stress is at a minimum. And it doesn't feel like work.

I know it will, it always does - but its SO weird - also I have a big tournament this week, like the biggest in the tri-state area - and I'm playing in OPEN again like, TOP GUYS ----maybe I'm just not getting too nervous or worried and that may actually HELP me - because in times past I was TOO anxious and actually F up ----so maybe my body knows this and is like 'nah dude, it''ll be fiiiiine' :|

ah..you're experiencing what I experienced quite often in the past...the dreaded over thinking, over preparing, self doubt, etc, etc. The competitive side of disc golf is way more mental than people give it credit for. One thing I was doing wrong imop, was playing very relaxed, fun, casual games with local friends where my mental state was always relaxed, felt no pressure, etc, I could care less if I came in 1st or dfl, because I was just having so much fun!! yippee!! But....come PDGA tournament day when all of a sudden everything matters, it seemed like I couldn't handle the stress, can't sleep the night before, I would have a strong adrenaline rush the first few holes, be very excited, over thinking, etc, etc. That's why I have a tendency to throw better in the 2nd round due to everything calming down. My solution was to decrease those fun, casual rounds, and try to play more competitive rounds with players better than myself. If I play minis, I try to play on cards with people I don't know, etc. The general idea was to start treating every round (hell..every hole) as if I was playing an actual tournament. The long term goal being to get the brain used to the stress of playing competitive disc golf, to the point where there is no more stress, just a healthy level of excitement. Last bit of advice...when you play rounds by yourself..play as slow as possible. You never want to get used to playing at a certain speed, come tournament day that'l mess u up! lol..

I understand the struggle.

First off it sounds like this wrek you had a great time with your kid. Kids are WAY more important than disc golf (or for that matter any sport, in fact way more important than almost anything else). Spending time with them helps us understand what is REALLY important and what is less important.

Secondly it sounds like maybe you are turning disc golf into work. That can be a great way to kill a hobby.

I did that with cycling as a younger man. It was a hobby, became an obsessive hobby, became a part time job, because a full time job, became a career, until the day I realized I just didn't love the sport any more. When it becomes something we have to do - work... for many people it kills the passion.

If it were me, I would back off a bit, forget the stats or your rating for a bit. Focus more on kids, having fun, etc.

The passion will come back and when it does you will be rested, refreshed and ready to go full speed again.

seriously THIS - this is what I needed to hear ----exactly - it was becoming more of an obligation than just an enjoyment ---also I haven't spent 4 straight days with my daughter - EVER - shes only 15 months and I haven't been off work much at all in the last year --- it was great bonding time and she's such a fun kid. It was great ---- thank you for your response --- I know that fire will come back by this Friday ---maybe itll be for the best

I love DiscFifty's post. Very good advice.

For myself, I got into the same place.
DG is a VERY mental game.
My choice was to stop playing competitively.
Too much work, unsatisfactory results, at least for me.
I still work very hard on my game, but enjoy it even more.
Throwing that 285' Comet on a string and parking that narrow, tree-lined Par 3 excites me just as much when I'm alone.
And when I throw poorly, I don't need to worry about the score.
I still play rounds with friends, just not competitively.

I just started playing again last fall and one of the local courses is just perfect for me. Not too short or long, open and wooded holes, and then summer happened. The fairways are mowed and pretty generous, but the rough is insane! I've lost two discs recently in head high brush/grass and that drives me nuts. None of the other courses close by are as fun to play, but I dread having to play really clean or risk searching for discs forever at my favorite course.

Kind of going through this right now too. I just took a vacation to DC with my kids. Didn't play DG at all and never really felt the urge too. I've spent a lot of time working on a local course over the last month and that has been more enjoyable than playing. I have also been working on form in my garage and really don't feel like competing until I fix bracing/foot work issues.

Once you realize that's no difference in casual and tourney rounds (besides pace of play and who you're playing with), you'll have more fun overall. Sure, finishing well in tournies is great, but finding a way to not let bad shots/rounds ruin the reason you play disc golf to begin with is ideal. Hopefully, said reason is because it's fun.

Take a break, pick up a new hobby. Disc golf will always be there for you when you need it.

Some of the comments were great ---- some missing the point - haha ----- I HAVE A BIG TOURNAMENT THIS WEEK! AND I AM NOT PREPARED AT ALL - Should I scramble and get my ****ttt together? Or just wing it and hope to do well - its not a small tourney I really should be prepared - but----idk, im just in a funk

Some of the comments were great ---- some missing the point - haha ----- I HAVE A BIG TOURNAMENT THIS WEEK! AND I AM NOT PREPARED AT ALL - Should I scramble and get my ****ttt together? Or just wing it and hope to do well - its not a small tourney I really should be prepared - but----idk, im just in a funk
If backing out isn't an option, then what"s the harm in playing? If you don't cash are mobsters coming after you?

Unless it's your life, disc golf should never be an obligation.

I'm not throwing any right now either. Haven't thrown in over a month. And last time I went out I had a great time. Had a new personal distance record on a long hole I've always dreamed about parking and practically did. Spring going into summer is a busy time. Staying busy and a heat wave was so intense for a while so that did not help. I don't like spending a lot of time in thick woods or weeds hunting for discs.. so I tend to stick to a couple select courses this time of the year and that limits my playing choices.

Haven't been watching as much YT either.. boring to me seeing the same guys dominate right now. These courses lately are practically a distance competition it seems.. I know thats not entirely true, but I'm interested in more technical courses than just seeing the same old mashers on the lead card all the time. Although it is fun to watch at times it does get a little boring.

I would work on putting and touch approaches only. Don't worry about throwing, you'll probably be fine there.

FYI, I have experienced the same thing as you several times. I chalk it up to the ebb and flow of life, things come and go in importance and that is fine. Just enjoy where you're at, and things will work out. Like esc1 said, some times I am looser and throw even further than normal ... the break can work in your favor.

Last edited:
If I was lugging around 25 discs in 18 molds, I wouldn't be enjoying myself either.

Go play with two putters. Or a couple mids and a putter. Play somewhere pretty. Play by yourself. Throw some unusual lines. Watch the discs fly.

Latest posts