• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fatigue?

tumteezy

I am a 21 year old college student who loves to do any activity. When i first started a year ago, i could play literally all day, usually from about 11am to about 8-9 pm. I've stopped workin out within this past half year, and now i get easily fatigued within the second game easily and my score begins to suffer.

Is this natural for people who aren't as active? I know disc golf isn't a very demanding sport, and i find it strange that i could get so fatigued even though my fitness hasn't fallen off dramtically.

its from drinking too much beer dude...im in the same boat as you are....i turn 21 in less than 4 weeks and i feel like i cant go out and play as long as i used to a year ago, i really need to stop smoking as well :)...but then again, i also stopped working out and have put on a couple pounds....im still under 190, but i feel like im about 300....

I am a 21 year old college student who loves to do any activity. When i first started a year ago, i could play literally all day, usually from about 11am to about 8-9 pm. I've stopped working out within this past half year, and now i get easily fatigued within the second game easily and my score begins to suffer.

Is this natural for people who aren't as active? I know disc golf isn't a very demanding sport, and i find it strange that i could get so fatigued even though my fitness hasn't fallen off dramtically.

Disc golf is not very demanding? Spoken like a 21 year old.

Just kidding. Just like in any sport, you have to build up your stamina. If you are not an active person, you will start to suffer after two rounds. The more you play, the more you will start to be able to play longer. Also, how much sleep are you getting? That plays a big part of it. If you are not getting enough rest, you are not going to be able to play all day. Also, the heat is also a factor.
I can play much longer in cooler weather , than in hot weather. When its over 90 degrees, after 2 rounds, I am done. In much cooler weather I can play 3-4 rounds. I think that might have alot to do with it. You also might want to check you diet. Make sure you eat a good meal before you go. I see too many guys not eat well, and then are starving by the end of the round.

I am 36 and 60lbs overweight, and I can play two rounds no problem. 3 is tough for me in the heat, but in the winter, I can do 3 rounds no problem. Just some food for thought.

I play tons of rounds when its 70 or below. We played 8 rounds the last day I remember when it was that cool outside. Nowadays its hard to play 3 because its to f'n hot.

I definitely feel the extra lbs I've put on recently from not working out, in the second round especially when its really hot. Im surprised you 21 yr olds are talking this way, cause you guys should be in your peak. My whole body is sore from this weekends two day tourney and it was so hot and humid.

And I cant believe its hitting you at 21. Yall need to hit the gym and work on cardio.

As Midnight said, if you play more disc golf, you will be able to play for longer. Even when I was working out every day, I found myself getting tired after playing a few rounds. Not the kind of tired where I get out of breath, but my legs were starting to ache a little. Walking/hiking is very different from running and therefore you must train differently for it. As for the arm getting tired, its a simple solution, throw more.

I'm 24 and can knockout 3-4 rounds no problem. Terrain is also a big factor, how crazy is the course you are playing?

Also, the heat is a major issue. Texas heat will take it out of you fast.

I agree that disc golf is not as demanding a sport as some others (as far as cardio endurance) It is not like running a marathon for instance. you walk a lot and often you are climbing but you also stop a lot. I will be 50 in October and I just came back from Texas wher I played 450 holes in 5 days so you can play a lot of Disc at any age. Of course I go to the gym and exercise regularly even when not playing DG. The heat is certainly an issue down here so you need to drink a lot. To build endurance keep playing and also do cardio workouts on days you do not play. I have often played over 100 holes in a day.

Thanks for making me feel young. I'm 32 and can knock out 3 rounds in the heat no problem :) I have gotten fatigued in the past though after just 1 round and I think it was just due to not drinking enough water.

I feel you on this man..im 21 and recently stopped working out due to time constraints...I felt like I was gonna die after a 1 day tourney it was hot as hell, barely any shade, goose poop everywhere (wasn't helping having to smell that Sh!T (litereally) all day on top of the heat) it was 21 holes and then 24 and I just wanted to collapse with 9 left...like I didnt' even want to finish...I ended up placing 8th and they were paying 7...haha lame!

I am 40 going on 41 and I can easily play 2 rounds on tough hilly courses in the heat of NC. I've done 3 tough course's before and gotten through just fine. Eat a good meal first and make sure you drink a lot, and you should have no problems. My 56 year old neighbor hung with me for 94 holes last weekend, and we drank way too many beers and ate too many wings on Friday night. If you are in your early 20's and hurting already you need to man up, or you will be in a wheel chair when you're my age. I've got 2 dogs and 2 kids so no excuses about being too busy. Plus it's just walking and throwing. Kind of like hiking, but you get to rest at each throw.

I would say it's one of the following
a) Not enough sleep
b) Not eating healthy
c) Drinking/Smoking

I'm 19 and just played 60 recorded holes on Saturday, not including warmups and practicing afterwards. Then played 500 with mini discs. Was ready for more but the sun went down. I don't work out, I just try to eat semi-healthy, don't smoke or drink, although I don't get enough sleep most of the time. Was just sore the next morning from trying to bomb massive drives into the wind all day long, never got tired while playing.

About the only time I can recall getting tired is after 3 18 hole courses in 90+ degree weather (Iowa Humidity)

DG is more physically demanding than people think. I play at about 6,500 feet and that thin air can definitely take it's toll even when it's on the cool side. I played at at over 8,000 feet this weekend and between the beers the night before and the elevation it was pretty grueling. But, I played 78 holes this weekend and really felt pretty good and I'm in my late forties. It's really about playing a lot/cardio exercise hydration, elevation and elevation changes and heat/humidity. I played in humid eastern KS after having gotten myself back into decent shape and it kicked my a$$ pretty good.

if its gonna be hot and humid i wont smoke or drink before/during play. It just makes me wanna nap by the time I get to hole 9.

I work downtown and dont get home till about 6 M-F, by the time i get home (if it isnt raining during this awesome summer we've had so far :rolleyes:) its the perfect temp with the perfect sun light to go out and have a few drinks/smoke and enjoy the weather with some good game

RUN MORE / hit the gym again and that'll probably help

i've always noticed that when i walked 18 holes of ball golf would take more of a toll on my legs than playing two hockey games back to back - there's something about intermittent walking / stopping that causes more fatigue than most figure it should.

You can also get some cell salts (marketed as "bioplasma" at your local health food store). These are tiny little pills that dissolve in about two seconds in your mouth and IMMEDIATELY remedy all sorts of general body blahs. Especially good in the heat, when you lose all sorts of stuff when you sweat.