• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finally, Minnesota

Yup, bad timing for that, Martin. I always have the random times of the year where I can take off.

I sent you a PM, didn't hear back, checked your page and saw you hadn't signed on for a week or more. I figured you were up in the mountains somewhere! :)

Really digging all the courses up here, based on quality and quantity, it's got to be my favorite destination this far. St. Cloud was tight, too, I'm glad I went up there.

Last day tomorrow... then back to Summit. :|

Yep!! It was sweet! Possibly my favorite of the trip (so far)

Great information guys.

My wife has a convention in downtown Minneapolis next week and while she is doing her thing, I will be headed out to play some of y'alls great courses!!

Got a rental car and 3 days to play some new courses, can not wait to play some disc golf!!

If you see a slightly overweight older guy who looks like he is lost, point me in the right direction.

Later,

Mike D
(PDGA 12941)

Interesting note: The convention center is about two blocks from the single place on earth with the most courses within 10 miles. Plug 55403 into the course finder. Go ahead, do it now.

(Pause while you do that.)

See?

Yep!! It was sweet! Possibly my favorite of the trip (so far)

Yeah it was kind of a hidden gem when Jenny and I went up there. A lot of people around the twin cities hadn't even heard of it.

It was pretty new when we went there. The course was a bit rough around the edges (We donated a lot of blood there), but there were some great holes. Especially a couple of those water holes.........Well worth it.

Yeah it was kind of a hidden gem when Jenny and I went up there. A lot of people around the twin cities hadn't even heard of it.

It was pretty new when we went there. The course was a bit rough around the edges (We donated a lot of blood there), but there were some great holes. Especially a couple of those water holes.........Well worth it.

Those from the Twin Cities have heard about it. For two years GGGT has hosted the Go Cart Open up there. It is a big cash tournament that draws some of the big arms and names from the Cities. It is a rougher, longer version of the Valley with a good mix of Kaposia style holes early on, and with the long drive for those who play the Valley and Kaposia often, I bet that is the reason it is not hit as often as it should.

I agree that it is a great course, but if there is a downside, I would have to say it is the two long holes in the middle of the course. I am sorry that I forgot their numbers, but they were the really long ones in the open. They are more a chore to play than anything else. The only real score separation on those holes come from putting. Yes, a person who cannot throw as far is being punished, but for the most part if everyone can throw close to the same distance on an open hole, putting is the only factor. If the only way to gain or lose throws is in putting, what is the point of exhausting yourself by throwing 500-800 feet to get there?

Do I have a solution? No. I just want to point out that there is a negative to the course that people remember and can detract from an otherwise tough but great course.

In all fairness, I lived in Saint Cloud for 7 years but only picked up the sport in my last. Cavalry, Riverside, and to a lesser extent Millstream were my courses. I moved away before Hidden Lake was fully in the ground. I would have been out there a few times a week if I had the chance.

I didn't mind the long holes, #7 down, #9 up. It is practically the only opportunity to let one fly out there, it's fun and a definite change of pace for the rest of the course. It's the ginger to the sushi. :D

But anyway, I made it back home! That was a hell of a trip, the hot weather was seriously brutal. My schedule ended up being:

Friday (Left work at 1:00) - Wisconsin
Lake WaZee - 9
Black River Falls - 9
Mount Simon - 9
(27 Total)

Saturday
Fort Snelling - 18
Hyland Ski & Snowboard Area - 18
Bryant Lake - 18
Red Oak - 10
Kenwood Trails - 18
Alimagnet - 12
(94 Total)

Sunday
Riverside - 18
Calvary Hill - 18
Mayhew Creek - 18
Millstream - 18
Hidden Lake - 18
Becker - 18
(108 Total)

Monday
Blue Ribbon Pines - 27
Elm Creek - 18
Basset Creek - 12
Plymouth Creek - 12
Crown College - 18
(87 Total)

Tuesday
Oakwood - 18
The Valley - 18
Kaposia - 26
Lakewood Hills - 18
Acorn - 18
Garlough - 9
(107 Total)

Wednesday
CP Adams - 18
St. Olaf - 18
St. Charles - 18
The Willows - 18
(72 Total)

So, that was 30 courses, 495 holes. Phew!

Some thoughts (no particular order):

Toughest Courses
Hidden Lake
Kaposia
Hyland
Mayhew

Most Enjoyable
Hidden Lake
Oakwood
Bryant

Toughest Holes
#12 Hidden Lake
#8 Plymouth Creek
#2 The Valley
#11 The Valley

Most Enjoyable Holes
#17 Bryant Lake
#4 Blue Ribbon Pines
#18 Acorn
So many more...

I have a lot of work to do, I took a TON of pictures and notes, oh man. :thmbup:

Friday (Left work at 1:00) - Wisconsin
Lake WaZee - 9
Black River Falls - 9
Mount Simon - 9
(27 Total)

Saturday
Fort Snelling - 18
Hyland Ski & Snowboard Area - 18
Bryant Lake - 18
Red Oak - 10
Kenwood Trails - 18
Alimagnet - 12
(94 Total)

Sunday
Riverside - 18
Calvary Hill - 18
Mayhew Creek - 18
Millstream - 18
Hidden Lake - 18
Becker - 18
(108 Total)

Monday
Blue Ribbon Pines - 27
Elm Creek - 18
Basset Creek - 12
Plymouth Creek - 12
Crown College - 18
(87 Total)

Tuesday
Oakwood - 18
The Valley - 18
Kaposia - 26
Lakewood Hills - 18
Acorn - 18
Garlough - 9
(107 Total)

Wednesday
CP Adams - 18
St. Olaf - 18
St. Charles - 18
The Willows - 18
(72 Total)

So, that was 30 courses, 495 holes. Phew!

That is hardcore

Last edited:
Sunday was definitely the most strenuous. The fact that Calvary Hill is listed on here as mostly flat is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to say thanks again to Josh for showing me around BRP, I started out strong, and then you trounced me. :) Also thanks to Jason and Chad for guiding me around Bryant Lake, Adam at Red Oak, and Mike? at Acorn. :hfive:

Also, to the two gentlemen who called me to return a lost disc and a stupidly forgotten disc, you are awesome. :thmbup:

You're a trooper man! The heat and humidity was pretty brutal while you were here. I salute you. Nice meeting you and playing a round. Keep on truckin' bud.

Aw yeah!

I just finished uploading all my pictures from the trip, which included Lake Wazee, Mount Simon, Mayhew Creek, Millstream, Hidden Lake, Elm Creek, Bassett Creek, Plymouth Creek, Oakwood, St. Olaf, and St. Charles. Some are better than others since I was just using an iPhone.

Here are some interesting ones...

Lake WaZee - Hole #8, lotsa water on the right!

7d34fb41.jpg

Hyland - Hole #8's Basket

b2709a1d.jpg

Bryant Lake - #15's basket and green

5735c03a.jpg

Bryant Lake - #16's basket from behind!

fcbb5c66.jpg

Bryant Lake - #17!!! That's structure down there is the HUGE built-up green!

Eau%2520Claireish%2520033.jpg

Calvary Hill - #5's pro tee is a BIG blind downhill over the forest, look out below!

8f99e229.jpg

Mayhew Creek - #18 is a tough hole to finish the round.

00daa24c.jpg

Millstream - #15's long pin. Very Idlewild-like.

72b8eb7e.jpg

Elm Creek - #14, a long valley

Elm%2520Creek%2520025.jpg

Crown College - #7 Valley Shot

Crown%25207.jpg

Oakwood - #16, just a fun wooded shot, on a fun wooded course.

f7aabe76.jpg

Kaposia - Behind #8's Basket

Kaposia%25201.jpg

Kaposia - #19 Basket down to Tee

Kaposia%25202.jpg

St. Charles - #16's Nasty pit by the basket

e8f8c981.jpg

The Willows - #7's Basket

The%2520Willows%2520009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And a few of the ducks/geese that wanted some food at the Willows.

The%2520Willows%2520004.jpg

The%2520Willows%2520014.jpg

Thanks! Being from MN originally I take pride in that. I can't really say the same for WY. CO on the other hand, is great!

Latest posts