• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First 100 Disc Golf courses?

danhyzer

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I would like to play as many of the First 100 Disc Golf courses as I can. Does anyone have any of this information? I betcha I've played a few of them, and some might not be in the ground anymore:(. But after I play my 1000th DG course:hfive: my new goal will be to play as many of the first 100 DG courses to be put in the ground as I can :thmbup:, if I can some how get this information it would be greatly appreciated not only by me but I bet many other players.

There's isn't even agreement on the SECOND course ever (there are at least a half-dozen that claim it), so good luck trying to get anything resembling the first 100.

Your best bet is to get your hands on the earliest printed copy of the course directory you can find, and just use that. Or have an admin pull you a query off DGCR sorted by install date.

You don't have to be an admin to search by install date, here's the list of courses that have dates between 1975 and 1980 (just so happens 101 are listed for that time period here).

Neat list mashnut, thanks.

I've played eight or nine of those courses but had to exclude Lincoln Ridge since the original Banklick course (long before it was renamed even) was not located on the present site.

And have fun danhyzer, that's quite the quest!

Your best bet is to get your hands on the earliest printed copy of the course directory you can find, and just use that. Or have an admin pull you a query off DGCR sorted by install date.

I'm not sure an early copy would help. There are probably a bunch of now extinct courses listed on those directories, like Gillson Park.

That's a cool idea.. I'm looking to play more states and a few more around the Twin Cities.. My course list is pretty thin.. :(

300th POST!!!!

Last edited:
To the knowledge of the players around here with much more experience than I, Burns Park in North Little Rock was first installed in '78 or '79. I have been told it was one of the first 100. I see that you have played the Burns courses, but the original layout was just an 18 hole course. I believe the entire original layout can still be played. There are several old teepads still in the ground, and the practice basket that is there now was part of the original layout.

Edit: I don't know if the back 9 of the now Red course was at all a part of the original layout, but if it was, then it will be gone permanently later this year.

There's isn't even agreement on the SECOND course ever (there are at least a half-dozen that claim it), so good luck trying to get anything resembling the first 100.

I can remember when the PDGA course directory made it to 100 courses. Someone on here probably has a copy. Some of them are probably extinct, but I bet alot are still active.

You don't have to be an admin to search by install date, here's the list of courses that have dates between 1975 and 1980 (just so happens 101 are listed for that time period here).

Thanks Mashunt for the very valuable information. I don't think that list includes the courses that are "no longer with us", but it's still a start to my research to find out what we're the first 100 DGcourses to be put into the ground.

I personally think these courses should be recognized, not only because they we're the first 100, but also to the importance of the value these early pioneer courses did for our sport as the movers and shakers that have been doing positive things for our sport all had to start somewhere and as they should be recognized so should the courses, IMHO.

Thanks for all who are helping in this research for not only me, but to the masses as this is important data that should be noted for prosperity for our sport.

I've played 2 of those! :D

Vienna Park in MI is the second oldest in MI, but it started as a 9 holer. I may be able to get the classic 9 layout from an old timer here.

-drift- Is Flip the oldest in MI? It's the only other course besides Vienna I saw on that list in MI with a 1980 install date. 2 others had dates of 1981

Burns Park in Little Rock was originally a 9 hole course. It was located in the park north of I-40, and was just west of the tennis complex. I first played there in 1982.

I looked at the list of the oldest 100, and I have played about a third of them.

Last edited:
One of those is my home course - Albert Oakland Front 18. It's closed right now until may for turf improvements. A bit archaic, but still offers enough challenge by shaping lines and working your disc to the basket. We added a bit of length to it 2 years ago, so it plays much harder now that it did even just a few years ago.

It's been closed since February, and I miss playing it already. Can't wait till May to get my 36 hole park up and running again!

Well I know that when Steady Ed invented disc golf that he was in touch frequently with two buddies of his that were in college. One went to Penn State and one went to Rutgers. after he designed the first disc golf course he helped these guys design a disc golf course around them so they could play too. Sedgley Woods in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia and Rutgers disc golf course on Rutgers campus are the second and third courses ever built. Hope this information helps

Last edited:
Well I know that when Steady Ed invented disc golf that he was in touch frequently with two buddies of his that were in college. One went to Penn State and one went to Rutgers. after he designed the first disc golf course he helped these guys design a disc golf course around them so they could play too. Sedgley Woods in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia and Rutgers disc golf course on Rutgers campus are the second and third courses ever built. Hope this information helps

Huntington Beach's Central Park DGC also claims to be the 2nd permanent course. :confused:

331bf88a_m.jpg

Also, it has been confirmed that Gillson Park in IL was installed and opened in 1977, which predates Rutgers by 1 year. Here is the recent DGCR discussion on Gillson Park.

I know its very up in the air as to which course was second, third etc. I have heard claims about 7 other courses being the second oldest course. I think that there was a boom in 77 and 78 where many courses were all made at the same time so many courses could make the claim but unless we knew the month or day it was opened we will never know. ahh the mystery:)

Last edited:
The Fairhope Alabama course has some baskets from the old Styx river course (site of one of the first PDGA tournaments in 1977). Does that count?

I forget - someone remind a brother which course is the oldest. Is it actually Oak Grove? I always thought La Miranda was #2.

The real question is do any of these courses play like they did back in the day? Oak grove is certainly the site of the oldest course but the current layout has little to do with the original course, hell there is a high school where a number of holes used to be.

I forget - someone remind a brother which course is the oldest. Is it actually Oak Grove? I always thought La Miranda was #2.