• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forearm midrange/fairway disc?

ski3

I'm looking for a forearm midrange disc <250 ft. Most of the midranges I find have large lips which make it hard for me to flick. I just recently started up disc'n again since I finally completed graduate school, but played pretty much all my teens with my older bothers/friends. I use to use the X-clone for EVERYTHING; even the PDGA terminator worked well for me. With those gone I have starting to put a bag together.

If you're looking for something slow and overstable but with a driver type rim, try the banshee, whippet or viper.

Trident! Oh so glorious.

I really, REALLY hate when people do this. But from what you're describing, I say:

"Trident. /thread."

I just use a teebird, even for closer forehands. I can rely on it to fly straight and then fade out

Thanks for starting this thread, i was about to do the same.

I've been having problems with my FH mid shots lately too.

My Fuse feels comfortable.

My Zone feels good.

My Pain is ok.

I used to rock a Buzzz SS, it felt pretty good.

But all my other mid don't feel right when I FH them.

BH is no problem though.

**Not trying to threadjack**

But can anyone recommend a straight mid that feels comfortable to them when thrown FH?

Thanks!

I really like my Z Buzzz for FH duties. Its flat and easy to grip, and works very well.

Eagles for 150'-250'
Champ Panthers for <150' or for uber-tight lanes
I am 90% BH, so my FH game is weak, but I have very good success with these two discs.

Also, my buddy slays FH with his Drone.

Last edited:
My forehand sucks, but people I play with that have some good FHs use:

Z Buzzz
Teebird
Roc
Eagle

Predator/ Firebird depending on shot shape sometimes.

I've seen a few guys throw putters for that shot, but only guys with really good FH form. There isn't many that do it, but with skill it works.

most people cant FH anything but overstable discs because they torque the crap out of it and roll their wrists over.

if that sounds like you go with the discs mentioned like a banshee, viper, whippet, trident. or try a firebird or XXX.

as far as midranges a drone or sentinel or hornet will work.

i personally like to flick my teebirds. and a sentinel for the short/mid stuff.

Z Buzzz and a champ leopard. Teebird if I need a little more D. Can't go wrong.

I favor the Eagle for FH shots. Trident is not a bad choice. Since I use a grip that places one finger behind the rim, I prefer a driver type wing over a midrange wing. When I do throw a midrange with a fork grip, I throw my Hornet or Buzzz. The more I write this, I come to the realization that I throw my Z XL FH most often for touch shots.

The new Lat 64 Saint is a great FH fairway driver, and all the glide makes it a breeze to flick. My FH Fairway slot is generally filled by a Firm Ascent. For a midrange I always like flicking my champ Gator. Other ones that I think would fit the bill would be a Banshee, Whippet, XXX, and Trident. I would say Firebird too, but I think it's too long for the shot you are talking about, and the XXX fits the bill of a slower Firebird.

+1 for the Saint.. I rarely FH a mid, only if I have to get out of something or BH is taken away.. But I carry a 168 Flick and it will do amazing things even in a strong headwind.. it's actually become my go to disc for any kind of problem where I need to get around an object. I doubt I could get it to go much farther than 250 unless I cranked it stupid anhyzer.. it just always comes back.. it's far from straight though.. if you have no obstacles and just need 250ish distance go with the Saint

If you're looking for a shallow rimmed mid, I suggest the Gateway Warrior or the Element. Maybe go with a champ XD.

Latest posts