• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frisbee Golf vs Disc Golf?

Whammo (at least as far as I know) hasn't done anything for our sport. Why in the world would we even consider changing the sport's name to include one of their brand names?

Should we change the name of baseball to 'Wilsonball'? Wilson does make balls, after all...

Last edited:
nope. we should not rely on a company's approval to control the future of our sport.

Whammo (at least as far as I know) hasn't done **** for the sport. Why in the world would we ever consider changing the sport's name to include one of their copyrighted brands?

Should we change the name of baseball to 'Wilsonball'? Wilson does make balls, after all...

GREAT POST

Whammo (at least as far as I know) hasn't done **** for the sport. Why in the world would we ever consider changing the sport's name to include one of their copyrighted brands?

Without Wham-O there would be no such thing as disc golf

I would love it as it would end a lot of confusion amongst non-players and also because it would piss all of you disc golf snobs off :thmbup:

To me a Frisbee and a Disc are two completely different things. Their support of this sport does not have any impact at all.

I would love it as it would end a lot of confusion amongst non-players and also because it would piss all of you disc golf snobs off :thmbup:

Yes, but they took it away as much as they gave it to us. Imagine us embracing "Frisbee Golf". It finally goes big like a lot of people want. Now 2 years into "Frisbee Golf", Whamo says, "nah, we're not making money, we don't endorse it anymore", disc golf has to be adopted and the sport loses.

I'd rather the sport take a little more time and develop it's success on it's own. With all this logic, let's just call it InnovaGolf or DiscraftGolf.

This. DGCR seems to be filled with these types of people.

I'm not what you'd call a snob about it, but I do agree that one company shouldn't have the sport named after them. "Innova Golf" wouldn't be considered so no "frisbee golf".

To me, it's simple. If it's not played with a Frisbee, why would it be called Frisbee Golf? I personally do not play it with a Frisbee, I play it with a disc. Disc Golf it is!

i always have to say "frisbee golf" to those who dont know what disc golf is anyways

Apparently you guys have never read Victor Malafronte's book. And I am guessing that most of you do not know that Wham-O used to hold the biggest frisbee events in the world which included Disc Golf. They even had an event at the Rose Bowl which I believe paid out over $100,000.

Even though Wham-O stole the name frisbee and illegally registered the trademark. Having them back in the sport is HUGE!!

And SPORT. What you wrote has basically already happened back in the late 70's.

If you have never read Victor Malafronte's book "The complete Book of Frisbee" I suggest that you get a copy. Lots to be learned in that book.

Last edited:
And like others have stated, what happens WHEN (not if) they decide it's not worth it again?

Oh yeah...this.

If all tournaments were advertised as "Frisbee Golf Tournaments" instead of Disc Golf more people would notice. Like some one already said, you won't have to explain it as much anymore to people who have never played or seen a course.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong but this is taking place in the UK. Nowhere in the entire article does it say that they plan on coming over to the US and getting involved with the sport in any manner.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong but this is taking place in the UK. Nowhere in the entire article does it say that they plan on coming over to the US and try to get involved with the sport.

But the OP asked "what if"?

Latest posts