• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frisbee Golf vs Disc Golf?

The PDGA expanded from a "Pros"-only organization to include amateurs, and in fact be Am-majority, decades ago. Yet the "P" remains in the name. Not just a top-down decision, either; a poll of the membership overwhelmingly supported it.

I can't see the "D" changing, either.

Am I the only one that read the article as "Wham-o wanted to maximize the sales of their product in the UK, and saw an opportunity to get their name out"? I think it has nothing to do with getting involved in disc golf and everything to do with selling Frisbees.

Let the local disc golf community use their trademarked product in order to attract more people, and in the end Wham-O sells more Frisbees.

Why do people get upset when a business wants to turn a profit?

"Wham-o wanted to maximize the sales of their product in the UK, and saw an opportunity to get their name out"?

I'm pretty sure that's correct, they want to maximize sales. Them, like all companies are in the business to make money. I see no problem with that. :confused:

Frisbee is a name brand, so it really is equivalent to calling it Innova Golf, Discraft Golf, insert name of favorite Disc Maker here Golf.... except that everyone knows what a "Frisbee" is, and it sounds better than...
"Latitude 64 Golf."

Personally, I don't like it, and I can see how most manufacturers would do everything they could to promote the game as "Disc Golf."

How 'bout: Gateway Golf or Lightening Golf :confused:
I may not like their product, but as names they don't sound half bad!

Last edited:
And SPORT. What you wrote has basically already happened back in the late 70's.

If you have never read Victor Malafronte's book "The complete Book of Frisbee" I suggest that you get a copy. Lots to be learned in that book.

Whamo had thier chance in the late 1970s, and blew it. If they want to sponsor our events, and become more of a prescence in the sport again, I say by all means. But changing the name back to Frisbee golf now would be absurd, although it will always be refered to as that casualy.

Discgolfers spergin' about disc golf being called frisbee golf ITT

:|

I read the article and have a few questions;

First off they use the term "First Frisbee Golf Course in the UK" The UK already has a bunch of "Disc Golf" courses, what makes this one different? Also it sounds like to call your tournament a Frisbee golf tournament there you have to use Frisbees.

Was there some UK law that made it so Wham O couldn't sell frisbees and all of a sudden its changed?

Its almost like they are stipulating that to call it Frisbee Golf you have to use their discs....sorry....frisbees.

Discgolfers spergin' about disc golf being called frisbee golf ITT

:|

I read the article and have a few questions;

First off they use the term "First Frisbee Golf Course in the UK" The UK already has a bunch of "Disc Golf" courses, what makes this one different? Also it sounds like to call your tournament a Frisbee golf tournament there you have to use Frisbees.

Was there some UK law that made it so Wham O couldn't sell frisbees and all of a sudden its changed?

Its almost like they are stipulating that to call it Frisbee Golf you have to use their discs....sorry....frisbees.

I wondered this also. I was hoping they would say how long the course is.
I do know there is a local movement to get a local, very short course changed to a Frisbee golf course. Not sure how that would work but the person behind it here ran the '88 Worlds so it's not some new comer. I doubt it happens here but this article reminded me of that.

Maybe we can pitch it like this "The PDGA brought to you by Frisbee". Or the PFDGA.

re:88 WDGC. Are you talking about Midge?

Yes I am. I played their course (Cabin Creek) a few times last year (It's 20 minutes from my house) and she talked to me about it one day asking what I thought about it. I've since heard, and seen the map, for the redesign of the course she was talking about. It's getting much longer if this goes through.

At this point in our development, all Frisbees are discs but not all discs are Frisbees any more. Frisbee golf would be more of an alternative name for Super Class or Vintage Class golf than the much bigger world of disc golf.

Sheesh, y'all make it sound like once something gets officially proclaimed "X," there's some "critical mass" effect in which we are all supposed to immediately adopt the terminology. Call it whatever the eff you want.

And go frolf yourselves.
p6xbv.jpg

Sheesh, y'all make it sound like once something gets officially proclaimed "X," there's some "critical mass" effect in which we are all supposed to immediately adopt the terminology. Call it whatever the eff you want.

And go frolf yourselves.
p6xbv.jpg
I got your back, dude.

attachment.php

In this area of the country it is disc golf...I have never even heard anyone call it frisbee golf. Not once. And most people have generally heard of disc golf when I mention it.

damn right go frolf urselves

i cant believe i let u guys drag me into this crap, but here's my two cents. As much fun as disc golf (frolfin) can be, it is still a recreation sport for most people. My life has revolved around snowboarding instructing. But if I was to get pissed every time someone called me a SKI instructor i would drive away all the future riders, for being an ******* about something wer supposed to be having fun with. Frisbee Golf is supposed to be a sport for everyone. But the more I dive into the disc scene (on this site, as well as with my local club) the more I meet people who hate beginners to the sport. They want the sport to grow, but only for the people who are doing it right now. Seems a little counter-productive to me...

umm if whammo wants to get in on disc golf again they will set up a competing organization to the pDGA. it doesnt make sense not to start the PFGA, or the FDA. Branding and you get to make your own rules

Rules potentially in Chinese...;)

Step 1 is to grabbing the disc with hand of throwing.
Step 2 are to aim at cages and standing on "tee" release with force the Frisbee.
Step 3 is running to see where is Frisbee and throw more at cage, doing this until Frisbee is done flying in the cage.
Making sure to not hit other people.
Playing on government Frisbee playgrounds only.

All your Frisbees are belong to us.

Latest posts