• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frisbee Golf vs Disc Golf?

I always use the term disc. Occasionally, when trying to explain it to the uninitiated, I have to fall back on frisbee but that inevitably makes them think things like tossing an ultimate or freestyle lid 50 or so feet.

I always use the term disc. Occasionally, when trying to explain it to the uninitiated, I have to fall back on frisbee but that inevitably makes them think things like tossing an ultimate or freestyle lid 50 or so feet.

I was the distance champ at USM in 1980. 289' with a 175g Ultimate disc, which has 2+ the profile of any golf disc. Who's yer daddy? :p

I started out saying Frisbee but after being corrected so many times I now call it disc golf most the time but I have no problem with calling it either.

I always say the difference between disc and frisbee, is if I throw a Frisbee at you, you will probably catch it. If I throw a disc at you will probably move out of the damn way!

^^^ The "disc golf" snobs will use "frolf", but don't wanna call it "Frisbee golf". Makes them feel frivolous.

Hey, I just learned how to use color---feelin' pretty frivolous myself!

I never understood why people feel so strongly about the name. If people are actively becoming involved and enjoying themselves, what the hell does it matter what it's labeled as.
Let's not even start talking about "frolf." THE HORROR :doh:

It's a matter of principle. People start calling it frisbee golf because, you are throwing frisbee-like objects through the air so the natural inclination its to call it a frisbee. The problem arrises when the Wham-O wants to come in on their high horse and wants to make a big deal out of it.

For comparison purposes, it is just like how everyone else in the world calls Soccer football. Taking something that was around way before the NFL and then adopting the name when it's a completely different sport doesn't really make sense. It's the idea, i understand frisbee golf and disc golf are not entirely different sports (unless you consider frisbee gold nonexistent).
football-handegg.jpg

^^^ Excellent post.

The sport was called frisbee golf long before it was called disc golf so we should call it Frisbee Golf.

Everybody got it?

Frisbee Golf it is.

It's a matter of principle. People start calling it frisbee golf because, you are throwing frisbee-like objects through the air so the natural inclination its to call it a frisbee. The problem arrises when the Wham-O wants to come in on their high horse and wants to make a big deal out of it.

For comparison purposes, it is just like how everyone else in the world calls Soccer football. Taking something that was around way before the NFL and then adopting the name when it's a completely different sport doesn't really make sense. It's the idea, i understand frisbee golf and disc golf are not entirely different sports (unless you consider frisbee gold nonexistent).
football-handegg.jpg
By the logic of your second paragraph, the sport should be called frisbee golf. The sport was founded in part by Wham-O

" The early history of Disc Golf is closely tied to the history of the recreational flying disc (especially as popularized by the trademarked Frisbee) and may have been invented in the early 1900s. Modern disc golf started in the early 1960s, when it seems to have been invented in many places and by many people independently. Students at Rice University in Houston, Texas, for example, held tournaments with trees as targets as early as 1964, and in the early 1960s players in Pendleton King Park in Augusta, Georgia would toss Frisbees in 50-gallon barrel trash cans designated as targets.

Three of the best-known figures in the sport are George Sappenfield, who privately called the game "Basket Frisbee", "Steady Ed" Headrick who introduced the first formal disc golf target with chains and a basket,[5] and Dave Dunipace who invented the modern golf disc. In 1975, Headrick formed the first disc golf association, the PDGA, which now officiates the standard rules of play for the sport. The sport has grown at a rate of 12-15 percent annually for more than the past decade, with nearly 3000 courses in the US and more than 3000 globally. The game is now played in more than 40 countries worldwide, primarily in North America, Central and Western Europe, Japan, New Zealand and Australia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf

Last edited:
It will always be Disc Golf to me... I'm perfectly content to let the 11 in a group people I have to play through actually throwing "frisbees" call it Frisbee Golf!

This site is "Disc Golf Course Review". "Frisbee Golf Course Review" is somewhere else?

Latest posts