• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frisbee Golf vs Disc Golf?

Sawbill Frisbee Golf Association

logoz_.gif

The Sawbill group is interesting. I was told that the Minnesota Frisbee Association was the only group that had a written permission from Wham-O to use Frisbee in its name when founded in 1975.

The Sawbill group is interesting. I was told that the Minnesota Frisbee Association was the only group that had a written permission from Wham-O to use Frisbee in its name when founded in 1975.

Illinois had a Frisbee Association back then, but I don't know if it was sanctioned by Wham-o or not.

Sawbill Frisbee Golf Association

logoz_.gif

Minnesota Frisbee Association...

I guess I live in a "Frisbee" State.

I started out in Freestyle (both K9 and personal) - I have grown up referring to a flying disc as a frisbee. It was immediately obvious when I started disc golf that they were discs - but several people referred to them as Frisbees, including Nikko which, at that time, eased my mind about using the word.

But the main reason I call it a Frisbee is because it's what Forest understands. I tell him to "Find the Frisbee" and he's on it, if I tell him to "Find the disc" he just gives me a blank stare.

totally disagree with that statement. you must be running in dg circles. I get blank looks for dg and usually still say frisbee golf to most people. in fact it was years after i first started playing before I even heard the term disc golf

Not dg circles, just high school and college students. Everyone around my age uses dg and I have NEVER heard frisbee golf even from the older players. Its all no big deal to me. I just call it what I have heard it called:)

I'm not hung up on how we call our addiction, whether Frisbee golf or disc golf. All I want to do is huck some plastic at baskets.

That said, it would be interesting to see how Frisbee golf would govern their tournaments and events. Would they sanction their events with the PDGA? Would they create their own governance body? How about discs: if they do sanction with PDGA, they'll have to create approved discs. Would we be allowed to use all recognized discs at a Frisbee golf tournament or only brands made by Wham-O?

If there's a new Frisbee golf association, would dedicated disc golfers be willing to play in two different professional-style leagues, with each having their own rules?

It would be interesting to see a change to the dynamic of the tournament circuit that we know today. In order to avoid a conflict of interest situation, the PDGA couldn't really partner with Wham-O to ease their move back into the marketplace.

What concerns me the most, though, is the production of their discs. At least right now, we enjoy discs made with decent quality plastic, with most being made in North America or Europe. I have a fear that Wham-O may start outsourcing production to third-world producers, which could impact quality control. I really don't mind paying a higher price for domestically-made plastic right now. If they want to market to the masses, I could see them trying to find more cost-effective means of making their products.

Last edited:
You're a little behind the times as Wham-O already has been making disc golf discs, as well as having Discraft make them for them also - and they have outsourced their Ultimate discs (made in MEXICO) for several years now.

no thank you. Disc Golf is the name.. I love sounding smart and correcting other people.

no thank you. Disc Golf is the name.. I love sounding smart and correcting other people.

Yeah! Anyone who calls it Frisbee golf is stupid, that's why everyone should call it disc golf.

Can't argue with that reasoning. :rolleyes:

When i hear people hatin on the term frisbee, i never think, "they must be serious players", instead, i think, "oh...they must be new to the sport". I then assume that they lack any kind of frisbee skills.
There are two things you need to be a great discer; frisbee skills and a nickname.

When I hear frisbee around here it's almost always from a player who has been playing for a couple decades, most of the chuckers call them discs.

When I hear frisbee around here it's almost always from a player who has been playing for a couple decades, most of the chuckers call them discs.

This.

For a while everyone called it frisbee golf, then new players were inundated with the disc terminology and went around correcting people. Really pissed me off for a long time.

Group comes up behind you. 3 or 4 quick holes to finish up.

Them "Hey, care if we finish out with you guys?"

Me "Sure. Nice day ain't it? Great day to throw some frisbees."

Them "This aren't frisbees they are disc and ......."

Me (cutting them short) "Yeah, why don't you guys go ahead and play thru..."

Last edited:
i use both terms, usually i say frisbee golf, but i say disc when im talking about the flight of it or whatever. "the disc gets tossed around by the wind at the frisbee golf course"