• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frisbee Golf vs Disc Golf?

...the generic item (e.g. Kleenex, Rollerblade, Aspirin, Jello, Velcro, Ziplock, Band-aid, Q-Tip, Allen wrench, Spandex, AstroTurf, Crock Pot, etc.) then it probably isn't very good.

OK. I have some questions... yes, I'm bored. And I know that this is thread fade... or whatever it's called when you lead threads off topic.

Kleenex... tissue
Rollerblade... in-line skates
Aspirin... pain killer
Jello... jelatin??? really??? Lame!!!
Velcro... hook and loop fastener????
Ziplock... what else can you call a non branded Ziplock?
Band-aid... adhesive bandage
Q-tip... see Ziplock???
Allen wrench... hex wrench?
Spandex... ??? And I don't think that I really want to know.
Astroturf???
Crock pot... slow cooker

Any help would be appreciated.

Bayer or Excedrin are brand names for the genric aspirin.
Nylon was originally a Dupont brand name for a fiber that becme genric due to common usage.
Q-tip cotton swabs
Ziplock plastic bag seal

"Aspirin" was trademarked, and still is some places.

"Disc golf" was also trademarked.

In this area of the country it is disc golf...I have never even heard anyone call it frisbee golf. Not once. And most people have generally heard of disc golf when I mention it.
totally disagree with that statement. you must be running in dg circles. I get blank looks for dg and usually still say frisbee golf to most people. in fact it was years after i first started playing before I even heard the term disc golf

In the late 70s, we had a golf object course on the USM campus. It was called "frisbee golf", and frisbee made glow discs that sank in water and had big 4" tall numbers on the discs. I still have one of them.

I tell people I play disc golf, but one or two out of every 10 people look lost when I say it. Either
A. They're truly ignorant of the sport, or
B. They think I mean pogs or discus
So then I say "frisbee golf" and, without fail, see the relief of recognition in their eyes. Honestly, sometimes when I say "disc golf", some people look at me like I just lapsed into Tagalog.

I'll call it what I want, which is likely to be either at any given time. If it offends you, that's cool---a round with a snob like you would probably have been torture anyways.
Dude. i was playing that course from 79 until about 85. were you playing there then?

I would support the term frisbee golf because it is the commanplace name that the average person can understand the name that I learned the game as. honestly until i got on this site I didn't know that anyone thought calling it frisbee golf was a big deal. i knew because of patent you couldn't officially. garablador hit the nail on the head with the brand names.

I don't think we should. People don't take frisbees seriously in a sporting environment. Perhaps it's the 40 years of public image. Perhaps it's just that frisbee isn't the most dignified sounding word ever created. I think we should stick with Disc as it has a more serious sound to it and differentiates us from the public idea of frisbees as the traditional beach lids. Part of the problem is that people think we're throwing freestyle discs and they just don't get the significant differences between what we throw and the other disc sports do.

Anyway, you are missing the point. For 99% of the people on this world, the things we play with are Frisbees. Yes, you are correct, it is the wrong name. But I think it's easier to get the 1% to change than the 99%. If Wham-O let's us do it, then why shouldnt we ? So far we can not call our toys Frisbees because Wham-o has the name protected.

Smigles, I'm with you. But I realize getting the .1% of disc golf "snobs" to call it "Frisbee golf" like the other 99.9% of the world knows it by, is just as impossible as getting the 1% of rich bastards to pay the taxes they should, like the other 99% of us do. :wall:

thats like solving a problem with a problem

the thing is for me is that the name "FRISBEE" is associated with recreation and shirtless men on the beach with a cooler and a few cans of silicone (or the many other recreational things done with a "FRISBEE" *in the eyes of the general public*) now I FEEL ( *complete opinion* ) that when you use the term *FRISBEE* in association with {DISC GOLF} your opening up the person who has never played before to automatically think - : ohh its just throwing a frisbee around:, and to not take the sport aspect to our game seriously, therefor i believe separating the terms is the only way for the game/sport to truly be taken seriously, but also can be understood by the newcomers that no one has a gun to your head on the tee, and it doesnt have to be taken all that seriously, BUT it is a sport/game that has ALL forms of competition, like most sports in the US

Say, "Bob Marley": take a breath of fresh air.

^^^No, but he cares enough about the sport to post an average of 4+ messages a day. So do I.

Wow this thing is still going on? Ok, we would not have disc sports if it wasn't for the Wham-o company and the Frisbee. They and them pretty much invented modern discs and disc sports. It was called Frisbee golf for years, and everyone assumed that Frisbee was going to become a word, and not a trademark.

But it was not meant to be. Wham-o decided that they had the copyright to the Frisbee name, and alienated alot of people. The name of our beloved sport was changed to Disc golf. It sounded very strange at first, calling it disc golf, after years of only knowing it as Frisbee golf.

So what do we do now? I don't think it will ever be officially known as anything other than Disc Golf. Its to late now to go back. But that doesn't mean that it won't always be casually known as Frisbee golf. So what. Call it whatever you want. But seriously refer to as it as disc golf.

*Disclaimer: thrembo is getting up there in age and may have lost a few brain cells over the years. This is how he remembers it though.

PDGA - Professional Disc Golf Association

Do you want the biggest organization in our sport to change their name because a majority of people call discs frisbees? Do you realize all of the legal bull**** they and most of the clubs who have disc in their name would have to go through to do that? So screw most people, let them play basketball.

picture.php