• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip and Pinch test

yankees23

Birdie Member
Today I had a physical and did some cool tests. One was a pinch test. I just pinched a little meter with my pointer and thumb fingers. The other was a grip test. The therapist said I had one of the strongest pinches and grips he has seen. Do you think this had anything to do with disc golf? Do you think it helps disc golfers to have strong hands?

Today I had a physical and did some cool tests. One was a pinch test. I just pinched a little meter with my pointer and thumb fingers. The other was a grip test. The therapist said I had one of the strongest pinches and grips he has seen. Do you think this had anything to do with disc golf? Do you think it helps disc golfers to have strong hands?

nah....<sarcastically> you just spend too much time in front of the computer with your door closed and the lights off. lol ;)

Yes, it does. The pinch provides your rip point, the stronger the pinch, the cleaner and harder the rip.

A couple years ago at the USDGC a professor friend of mine was doing research on long drives at the long drive contest. One of the things he tested was their grip strength. He also tested their speed (had a radar gun), flexibility, measured their wingspans, etc... I don't know what ever came of the research.
I will ask him.
DSCJNKY

A couple years ago at the USDGC a professor friend of mine was doing research on long drives at the long drive contest. One of the things he tested was their grip strength. He also tested their speed (had a radar gun), flexibility, measured their wingspans, etc... I don't know what ever came of the research.
I will ask him.
DSCJNKY

I'd like to see what came of this as well.

I've noticed some progress in my driving since I started to use these grippers and finger strength trainers from a company called Ironmind. One of my other hobbies is lifting weights and I wanted to increase my grip and finger strength to overall improve my lifting abilities. As a side benefit i've noticed my releases have become more clean than they were before I added grip training to my regular regiment. I recommend them for anyone trying to improve their hand strength.

i believe it does. if you can not grip a disk good it will be not be a level throw, causing it not to fly good. i dont know about having strong hands to help because alot has to do with the flight when in the air.

I've noticed some progress in my driving since I started to use these grippers and finger strength trainers from a company called Ironmind. One of my other hobbies is lifting weights and I wanted to increase my grip and finger strength to overall improve my lifting abilities. As a side benefit i've noticed my releases have become more clean than they were before I added grip training to my regular regiment. I recommend them for anyone trying to improve their hand strength.

Sounds like a prison thang. ;)

I've stated it before, but the only thing I did to break 400' was use a pair of those grip thingies, turned upside down, between my thumb and forefinger every night before I went to bed. As my grip got stronger and stronger, I clamped down on the disc more, and forced myself to figure out ways to get the disc to break loose of my grip.

It was really that simple. Granted, you start to learn that a proper pull, close to the chest, etc etc ends up being the best way to get it to happen, and that when you don't get it right, you end up grip-locking the disc like a mofo.

ive had one of those gyroscope strength training balls for a few years, and i always liked to play with it. a few days ago after a bad round i fired it up and got it spinning faster and longer than i ever have. my disc hand is strong.

keep-your-pimp-hand-strong-t-shirt-vintage-t-shirt-review-vintage-cotton-vintage-cotton-3.jpg

Latest posts