• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ large bag

The front pocket looks like a good place for my phone. I'll want quick access to it as I'll probably use it for my scorekeeping (the PDGA app).

Scratch that. It's a bit too tight. Maybe one of the side pockets can house my phone instead. I'd just have to be sure it wouldn't fall out.

http://www.starsurplus.com/viewitem.lasso?i=7IP2123

http://happy-cellular1.amazonwebstore.com/OEM-Nite-Ize-Large-Universal-Cargo/M/B000I2XD2M.htm

Get something like that, they go right on the spare vinyl piece right near the logo on the straps. Makes it a lot easier for me to have access while I'm walking from hole to hole or waiting.

Very disappointed in GripEq right now, they refuse to sell for retail purposes to a friends shop, because of the location basically (Branson, just a huge tourist location, with a course in the ground and another very very nice course being put in within the next few months).

He happens to sponsor some very well known pro's, has an online store, and has been trying for months to get as much as a reply from Grip about making an order and being a retailer.

Turns out, they weren't unresponsive because of them being very very busy (my assumption), they were just ignoring him. Im not sure about you guys, but when people want to buy potentially several thousand dollars worth of stuff from me, I pay attention. Seems like some peoples money is worth less than others to J@, and I seriously hope he doesn't choose to treat everyone who isnt DD/DGW this way, or else he may find himself in the same position as the guy who runs Revo and has a reputation for being a douche.

Very disappointed in GripEq right now, they refuse to sell for retail purposes to a friends shop, because of the location basically (Branson, just a huge tourist location, with a course in the ground and another very very nice course being put in within the next few months).

Why should they be obligated to sell him bags at wholesale? Perhaps they're happy with how they're doing and how they're doing it.

Why should they be obligated to sell him bags at wholesale? Perhaps they're happy with how they're doing and how they're doing it.

Well, when you have a business, that sells to retailers, and a retailer wants to buy from you, there is a very short list of things that would deter you from selling your product to them. None of those apply here.

Regardless of their opinion on how big DG is or isn't in our area he was willing to purchase a good deal of bags to start and likely more after considering they do sell pretty easily. Minimum of 12-15 is what he was talking about getting to start, might only sell 5-6 locally, but online sales would be easier and would no doubt sell all of them.

I'm personally more disappointed that they ignored him forever, they think the market is too small here, fine, they don't lose much but our business. But it took a series of emails basically asking why are you ignoring me when im trying to spend a lot of money for them to basically tell him to get lost. That not only loses my business, but my respect for them.

For some this wont mean much, but their are people out there who value being treated right as a consumer, and this info was mainly for them. Do with it what you will.
I'm not insinuating in any way their product is bad, only the way they choose to do business sometimes. You would think that someone who had the means to purchase as many bags as they could would be a customer worth having, but i guess not.

Last edited:
Well, when you have a business, that sells to retailers, and a retailer wants to buy from you, there is a very short list of things that would deter you from selling your product to them. None of those apply here.

I completely disagree and think you've just got sour grapes on behalf of your friend.

They could have plenty of legitimate reasons, including the possibility that they've already promised exclusivity to some people, or promised a cap, or whatnot. Or they enjoy selling directly and don't want to compete with someone else who has an Internet presence.

Regardless of their opinion on how big DG is or isn't in our area he was willing to purchase a good deal of bags to start and likely more after considering they do sell pretty easily. Minimum of 12-15 is what he was talking about getting to start, might only sell 5-6 locally, but online sales would be easier and would no doubt sell all of them.

Currently "grip-eq.com" is pretty much the online exclusive site. Why would they want to sell bags to your friend for $150 when they can sell them themselves online for $200?

For some this wont mean much, but their are people out there who value being treated right as a consumer, and this info was mainly for them.

I've been treated right as a consumer by them. Your friend isn't a consumer - he's a retailer.

Do with it what you will.

Thanks. I'll ignore it as sour grapes that your friend wasn't allowed to compete with the company itself.

I'm not insinuating in any way their product is bad, only the way they choose to do business sometimes. You would think that someone who had the means to purchase as many bags as they could would be a customer worth having, but i guess not.

I could see many cases where that's not a "customer worth having."

I sold software for a living. Should I have allowed everyone who asked to re-sell my software for me? Why?

There are plenty of reasons to say "no" to re-sellers.

^ a shop somewhat local to me (Keychains Bike and Disc store in Ft Walton Beach) just started carrying Grip bags after they saw/tried on my Grip bag at their Ace Race this year.

They are only planning on selling them in-store.

Grips CUSTOMER service has been great to me, and from what I understand their retailer service has been good to the shop I mentioned.

my .02

I completely disagree and think you've just got sour grapes on behalf of your friend.
fair enough, I am sour, but im not wrong

They could have plenty of legitimate reasons, including the possibility that they've already promised exclusivity to some people, or promised a cap, or whatnot. Or they enjoy selling directly and don't want to compete with someone else who has an Internet presence.

Fair enough, no mention of it though. Doesnt mean that, thats not the case they just have never said that anywhere to anyone publicly.

Currently "grip-eq.com" is pretty much the online exclusive site. Why would they want to sell bags to your friend for $150 when they can sell them themselves online for $200?
Why does anyone work with a retailer if thats your logic?

I've been treated right as a consumer by them. Your friend isn't a consumer - he's a retailer.
No, when you buy something, you are the customer

Thanks. I'll ignore it as sour grapes that your friend wasn't allowed to compete with the company itself.

ok

I could see many cases where that's not a "customer worth having."
Any of them applicable here?
I sold software for a living. Should I have allowed everyone who asked to re-sell my software for me? Why?
No, you should pick and choose based on whats best for you. But if someone had a high demand for your product and could sell it for you in good quantities, you'd probably at least talk to them and see whats up. No?

There are plenty of reasons to say "no" to re-sellers.
There are reasons, you're right. As i said above, im less bummed about the decision to not have him as a retailer and moreso about the way they handled it.

Also, it's pretty clear that they are aware of the demand for their product. If they're allowing some stores to be retailers, its safe to assume its because they have the means to buy the product, and sell it easier than they can. Much easier to make something in bulk and let others mess with selling it IMO, and i think they agree since they are using "selected" retailers now.

So, IMO, you would think, barring some agreement with retailers about exclusivity and proximity to other retailers and such, they would be excited to have someone willing to buy the amount of bags he was wanting. Most shops ive been in dont have a big selection of high end bags, its not economical for most shops. Doesnt happen to be a problem in this case, couldve stocked a good amount. Oh well.

Im not knocking grip owners by any means. If you like their product or have had good experiences with them, then great. But this topic is about grip eq, good and bad IMO.

fair enough, I am sour, but im not wrong

It's an opinion, not a fact. You (and I) can't be "right" or "wrong."

Why does anyone work with a retailer if thats your logic?

Because they sell in more quantity. C'mon, this isn't exactly high-level business thought here. When you have a commodity you sell it as widely as possible.

No, when you buy something, you are the customer

No, you're a middle man when you're a retailer. Sorry.

Any of them applicable here?

Yes, when they're going to take out a chunk of your profits.

No, you should pick and choose based on whats best for you. But if someone had a high demand for your product and could sell it for you in good quantities, you'd probably at least talk to them and see whats up. No?

No. If I'm Grip and I can pretty much sell the bags as fast as I can make them AND keep most of the profits myself, there's NO REASON to sell them to a middle man.

Also, it's pretty clear that they are aware of the demand for their product. If they're allowing some stores to be retailers, its safe to assume its because they have the means to buy the product, and sell it easier than they can. Much easier to make something in bulk and let others mess with selling it IMO, and i think they agree since they are using "selected" retailers now.

None of whom, as I understand things, are selling them online.

So, IMO, you would think, barring some agreement with retailers about exclusivity and proximity to other retailers and such, they would be excited to have someone willing to buy the amount of bags he was wanting.

Key phrase bolded.

And why would they be excited to sell 15-20 bags at a lower price than they can easily sell them themselves at grip-eq.com?

You understand that $150 < $200 right?

Im not knocking grip owners by any means. If you like their product or have had good experiences with them, then great. But this topic is about grip eq, good and bad IMO.

Okay. I suppose you're right. This thread doesn't have a "common sense" requirement. :)

Take care man.

Grip is the online exclusive retailer of their bags. No other shop or company sells them online. That's how Grip wants to keep it right now, and that's their right. As for in-person retailers, I'm pretty sure they don't buy them from Grip wholesale and sell them for profit. They are licensed "carriers" of Grip bags and sell them at Grip's retail. These are people (Dynamic Discs, Glide, etc.) who have a professional relationship with the owners of Grip and are given bags to sell on Grip's behalf. And the biggest reason DD has such a big Grip presence is because of the level of tournament coverage they have. Grip is still essentially a small operation and can't come close to matching the scope and reputation DD has at major events. So it was a no-brainer partnership for them.

Bottom line, Grip controls very closely who has their bags. If they're happy with their market presence with being still a relatively new company and only one true product offering...then that's their business decision.

It's an opinion, not a fact. You (and I) can't be "right" or "wrong."

OK :)

Because they sell in more quantity. C'mon, this isn't exactly high-level business thought here. When you have a commodity you sell it as widely as possible.

Yup

No, you're a middle man when you're a retailer. Sorry.

from grips end of the deal, its no different being as after they sell to the retailer, their job is done barring some warranty issue.

Yes, when they're going to take out a chunk of your profits.

Ok, then why do they use middle men at all? Obviously that isnt the issue, or they just wouldnt use any at all right?

No. If I'm Grip and I can pretty much sell the bags as fast as I can make them AND keep most of the profits myself, there's NO REASON to sell them to a middle man.

Same as above, why mess with it at all then?

None of whom, as I understand things, are selling them online.

DGW, and DD have online stores, i dunno if theyre listed on either site or not, but i seriously doubt if i called them and wanted to buy one from stock that theyd turn me down.

Key phrase bolded.

And why would they be excited to sell 15-20 bags at a lower price than they can easily sell them themselves at grip-eq.com?

You understand that $150 < $200 right?

These stores are buying less than 5 at a time if that (i only hear about 2-3 usually). So what does that say about this situation? Also, where did you get the figure $150? Just curious, but ill use it for this next example for you.

$750 is less than $2250.

Okay. I suppose you're right. This thread doesn't have a "common sense" requirement. :)

Take care man.
Sarcasm noted. Also, not really sure why you are taking this so personally, instead of having a discussion, or dropping it, you choose to attack me? For what? Just curious, you seem pretty invested to be so upset.

Grip bags aren't a commodity.

from grips end of the deal, its no different being as after they sell to the retailer, their job is done barring some warranty issue.

In order for the middle man to make a profit, Grip has to sell it to him at let's say $150. A middle man isn't going to pay $200 and then sell them for a profit. They wouldn't sell many (unless they want to deceive people) when the people can go to grip-eq.com to pay only $200.

Ok, then why do they use middle men at all? Obviously that isnt the issue, or they just wouldnt use any at all right?

I can't speak for them, but per the post above, they seem to have a few high-profile partners that help get their bags to some bigger events and shows. So that's their "upside" to having a few middle men.

Same as above, why mess with it at all then?

You're the one suggesting they should.

DGW, and DD have online stores, i dunno if theyre listed on either site or not, but i seriously doubt if i called them and wanted to buy one from stock that theyd turn me down.

They've done just that (turn people down).

These stores are buying less than 5 at a time if that (i only hear about 2-3 usually). So what does that say about this situation? Also, where did you get the figure $150? Just curious, but ill use it for this next example for you.

$750 is less than $2250.

I'm not sure how I could be clearer.

Grip seems to be selling bags just about as fast as they make them. They're selling them for $200 (or more) and without a middle man who needs to profit too. Thus they're keeping ALL of the profit.

Introducing a middle man makes no sense.

Let's assume the bag costs $100 to make and deliver. At $200 they're making $100 profit. At $150 they're making $50 profit.

Why would they sell 20 bags (for $1000 profit) to a middle man when they can sell them for $2000 profit directly from their site themselves?

Sarcasm noted. Also, not really sure why you are taking this so personally, instead of having a discussion, or dropping it, you choose to attack me? For what? Just curious, you seem pretty invested to be so upset.

I'm not taking it personally, nor am I upset.

I think you should take a basic business class. Maybe look up some basic supply and demand theory.

I see it as pretty basic stuff. Common sense.

It appears you do not.

Grip bags aren't a commodity.

Oh really?

In order for the middle man to make a profit, Grip has to sell it to him at let's say $150. A middle man isn't going to pay $200 and then sell them for a profit. They wouldn't sell many (unless they want to deceive people) when the people can go to grip-eq.com to pay only $200.

this is correct, and it makes sense if they had no retailers other than themselves, but this isnt the case, so this point is irrelevant.

I'm not sure how I could be clearer.

Grip seems to be selling bags just about as fast as they make them. They're selling them for $200 (or more) and without a middle man who needs to profit too. Thus they're keeping ALL of the profit.

Introducing a middle man makes no sense.

But they already have introduced a middle man (a few actually in the form of other retailers) so why do you keep harping on this like its relevant?

Let's assume the bag costs $100 to make and deliver. At $200 they're making $100 profit. At $150 they're making $50 profit.

Why would they sell 20 bags (for $1000 profit) to a middle man when they can sell them for $2000 profit directly from their site themselves?

Sigh, you've made this point several times. It still has no bearing on this particular discussion since in your scenario, they dont deal with a middle man because it means less profit, and in this scenario, the real one, they do.

I'm not taking it personally, nor am I upset.

I think you should take a basic business class. Maybe look up some basic supply and demand theory.

I see it as pretty basic stuff. Common sense.

It appears you do not.

You really like talking down to people don't you? If you wanna be a Grip homer, go ahead, nobody is stopping you. But you seem to be very intent on making me look ignorant and like im the one in the wrong here, which is silly, and a little sad that you could defend a company of which you have no stock in for something that is so obviously tasteless in addition to being bad business.

Im not going to discuss this with you anymore because youre harping on the part of my gripe that I dont care about as much. You keep trying to convince me that their decision to not add another retailer is a good one. Like I said a handful of times in earlier posts, that decision was only slightly disappointing mostly because I was thinking of getting one of the bags.
My more major beef is the way they treated him in the process of it all, obviously you didn't get that in my other posts, so i wanna point that out again for you. Feel free to have your opinion on the way they make money, and ill have mine.

But I dont think anyone can argue that a series of emails and an app to be a retailer going unreplied to and ignored for months is pretty bad business. This is my main point here. This is mostly what I wanted to get out. I wont discuss the other aspect of it anymore since its just business, and its their business and im sure they know whats best for them more than I.

You really like talking down to people don't you? If you wanna be a Grip homer, go ahead, nobody is stopping you. But you seem to be very intent on making me look ignorant and like im the one in the wrong here, which is silly, and a little sad that you could defend a company of which you have no stock in for something that is so obviously tasteless in addition to being bad business.

Im not going to discuss this with you anymore because youre harping on the part of my gripe that I dont care about as much. You keep trying to convince me that their decision to not add another retailer is a good one. Like I said a handful of times in earlier posts, that decision was only slightly disappointing mostly because I was thinking of getting one of the bags.
My more major beef is the way they treated him in the process of it all, obviously you didn't get that in my other posts, so i wanna point that out again for you. Feel free to have your opinion on the way they make money, and ill have mine.

But I dont think anyone can argue that a series of emails and an app to be a retailer going unreplied to and ignored for months is pretty bad business. This is my main point here. This is mostly what I wanted to get out. I wont discuss the other aspect of it anymore since its just business, and its their business and im sure they know whats best for them more than I.

Do you own or run a company? Have any sales experience, because you are the one who clearly doesnt get it.

Grip bags certainly are commodities, as are every other bag on the market out there. No one needs them.

I have noticed that people tend to get defensive about their purchases on these forums, whether it be bags, discs, or anything else. The beauty of it is, everyone is allowed to buy what they want, and everyone is allowed to critique those purchases (which Pwingles was not doing, but it seems iacas took it that way).

Oh really?

Look up the definition and know that "commodity" also typically refers to a generalized product available in larger quantities and often from multiple sources. Like, say, ketchup. Nobody's cornered the market on ketchup.

this is correct, and it makes sense if they had no retailers other than themselves, but this isnt the case, so this point is irrelevant.

No, they have a few retailers because the retailers give them something they can't get on their own, like exposure at the bigger events and shows and such.

But they already have introduced a middle man (a few actually in the form of other retailers) so why do you keep harping on this like its relevant?

Because you keep pretending that there aren't other reasons. Your friend probably doesn't bring to the table the same things Dynamic Discs can and does.

You really like talking down to people don't you?

Only the ones who PM me and call me a prick. :|

If you wanna be a Grip homer, go ahead, nobody is stopping you.

Not a Grip homer. Just have a brain and like to use it from time to time. Try it out! You might like it!

But you seem to be very intent on making me look ignorant and like im the one in the wrong here, which is silly, and a little sad that you could defend a company of which you have no stock in for something that is so obviously tasteless in addition to being bad business.

Tasteless and bad business? Yes, because keeping more of the profits to yourself, on bags that you're selling about as fast as you can make them, is such a bad business.

Im not going to discuss this with you anymore because youre harping on the part of my gripe that I dont care about as much. You keep trying to convince me that their decision to not add another retailer is a good one.

Just common sense why they might not want to add another middle man and why they might not want to allow ANY of them to sell online.

Like I said a handful of times in earlier posts, that decision was only slightly disappointing mostly because I was thinking of getting one of the bags.

So buy one online. But you won't, because you're ticked that they didn't want to let your friend profit off them. So they didn't respond to your friend's emails. Zzzzzz. Okay.

But I dont think anyone can argue that a series of emails and an app to be a retailer going unreplied to and ignored for months is pretty bad business.

Why exactly is it bad business? Besides the one bag they didn't sell to you because you're trying to stick up for your friend's inalienable right to get an email from a company that doesn't want to add him as a middle man?

Right. So they didn't respond... until they did. Read this thread. It seems like a small operation and they don't answer email all the time.

I'm happy with my bag, but not overly attached to it. It's a tool. Its job is to carry plastic discs around. It does it well.

But like I said, I like to use my brain from time to time, and generally don't like people slagging on others when there are perfectly legitimate reasons for the others to have done what they did.

Could they have responded to emails sooner? Perhaps. But for all we know the requests were poorly written and they deleted several of them. Who knows?

For your lovely PM, you'll go on my ignore list. Respond if you'd like, I won't see it. Woo! :)

I have noticed that people tend to get defensive about their purchases on these forums, whether it be bags, discs, or anything else. The beauty of it is, everyone is allowed to buy what they want, and everyone is allowed to critique those purchases (which Pwingles was not doing, but it seems iacas took it that way).

That's really got nothing to do with it. I'd make the same argument whether I owned one of their bags or not. His panties are in a bunch because they didn't let his friend profit from them. Boo hoo.

"Commodification (also called commoditization) occurs as a goods or services market loses differentiation across its supply base, often by the diffusion of the intellectual capital necessary to acquire or produce it efficiently. As such, goods that formerly carried premium margins for market participants have become commodities, such as generic pharmaceuticals and DRAM chips. Another example is the credit card product, where all suppliers offer almost identical interest rates, fees, rewards programs, and bait & hook incentive models for new customers. Since the core credit card product is essentially identical, the only remaining market differentiators are branding & customer service."

Not that Wikipedia is always the best source, but the bold parts explain why Grips aren't commodities. They're still being sold at a premium price and they haven't yet become commodities.

Last edited: