• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grow the sport you say?

I have thought about what I will do this summer though. I haven't met a riding partner yet, and there are some fantastic MTB trails up the mountain once the ski resorts dry out in June. But those trails are as you describe -- higher injury risk (crash, rattlesnake, and moose risk). I'm hoping I find a MTB riding partner before then.
Have you been to Grand Junction to bike? Great places there that I stumbled across driving cross country. I ran on the trails, but the place was set up entirely for mountain biking, and right next to the highway. Highly recommend if you're anywhere near. Miles and miles of trails, across a number of trailheads, but tons of loops near each trailhead.

Have you been to Grand Junction to bike? Great places there that I stumbled across driving cross country. I ran on the trails, but the place was set up entirely for mountain biking, and right next to the highway. Highly recommend if you're anywhere near. Miles and miles of trails, across a number of trailheads, but tons of loops near each trailhead.

Nope, haven't been down to Grand Junction to bike yet. GJ and Moab both are supposed to have some awesome singletrack. I just picked the sport up this year so have been hanging out on local trails only.

If you guys ever come to SW Ohio Harbin Park in Fairfield has mountain bike championship competitions every other year. I've walked some of those trails and it's not for beginners.

It also has a disc golf course.

Grow the sport so there are plenty of cool discs and stuff for me to buy, but don't allow too many people to buy them and crowd up the course for me...I don't want it to be grown THAT much. I like having courses to myself. Maybe I will start telling people how much disc golf sucks and how lame it is and how it is a waste of their time. Always try to keep a good sport down.

Last edited:
Hope you aren't mountain biking alone. Easy to get injured and not get immediate assistance if needed.

Hope that doesn't sound negative—it is not intended to be.

I do this.. literally a couple times a week ;)

You just need to pick your trails, and yes... I've walked out of a trail, with a broken bike and a separated shoulder and ribs in the past.

However, there is a finite amount of land and there is a massive housing shortage. I don't really see anybody tearing down subdivisions or miles of packed retail businesses to build disc golf courses.

Climate change might help us some here. Two courses in my town were built on land that used to be residential neighborhoods. Then we had a major hurricane come through and FEMA bought up the land. The land turned into parks and now there are disc golf courses there.

Climate change might help us some here. Two courses in my town were built on land that used to be residential neighborhoods. Then we had a major hurricane come through and FEMA bought up the land. The land turned into parks and now there are disc golf courses there.

A housing crisis is a far greater concern of mine than a crowded disc golf course.

We have one 18 hole course and a 9 hole pitch n putt in town. Last summer I wasn't out much during peak times and we had a garbage summer weather wise, but I heard that on nice evenings/weekends it was nuts. Be interesting to see what it's like this summer. Might have to keep rolling with the weekdays and sunrise rounds. Love having a schedule that allows me to do stuff when other people are at work...

While I strongly agree with the sentiment, I'm more than a little skeptical that any mfg will risk the financial hit from lost sales due to course designer pushback on Auslanders advising, much less signing off on, their masterpieces. While it may have been practicable back when there were only a handful of outlets for acquiring baskets (Steady Ed used to require prospective buyers to submit their course design for approval before accepting an order back when DGA had a monopoly—and pissed off a lot of potential buyers in the process—but that disappeared when the patent expired and other mfgs started entering the market), there are simply too many outlets from which to acquire baskets these days that don't involve purchasing directly from the mfgs.

I agree- it is very unlikely we will see a change in manufacturer policies. There really aren't all that many non-manufacturer sources for full sets of baskets though. If the top 5-6 manufacturers were on board the change could be made imo.

Unless lake superior spawns one hell of a hurricane, I don't see that happening up here haha.

Our best bet here would be getting some disc golf courses installed in state and county parks. There's a state park in my hometown with very seldom used (in summer) cross country ski and snowshoeing trails. It's already a perfect disc golf course. Fairways are basically already there, beautiful area, would be awesome. But it's highly unlikely.

Pretty much my goal was to make it something as a retirement/supplemental income. Over the past 7 years we've been open my main goal was keeping the course kinda a hidden secret to limit the amount of people requesting to play or just showing up unexpected. Every dg website, except the PDGA site, I put in fake addresses to throw off random people from popping in. Example, our lat/long location on DGCR is listed as if we're in the middle of Lake Huron. As Evil as that sounds, some people don't quite get that private means private. The phone calls, texts and messages to play here can get pretty crazy sometimes. No shows and last minute cancellations drive me nuts to the point where if you want a tee time you're going to have to prepay for it unless I know you well enough.

On a side note, I'd love to have you and Rupor back over for a round sometime. The course has improved tremendously and I bet you guys will feel more comfortable to review our course on DGCR as a complete course now than the time you guys played 5 or so years ago.

Much love to you Dwayne and Steve for keeping it real on this site. Not too many people I know use DGCR, yet we've had players from 32 different states now

Right on, Donny. It has been too long since I have gotten up your way. I will make it a mission to get up and play Mill Creek. :thmbup:

This is an interesting thread to read through as a pretty new player. There seems to be a lot of negativity and a get off my lawn attitude towards new players and the growth of "your" game. I find that very disheartening and wonder why, if you love disc golf the way you claim to, you would not want to be an ambassador of the game and teach the game. Maybe I'm wired differently, but if someone new wants to play hockey or disc golf or expresses interest in hiking, I want to help them learn and find the same passion and love that I have.

Disc golf has a very low barrier to entry, and along with that comes unique problems that definitely need to be solved, and I'm sure have been addressed on many other threads as well. An example that was presented in this thread, add more family oriented park courses to leave the tournament courses for bigger and more accurate arms. I agree that would be one way to help overcrowding, and I just reached out to my city last week to see if they would have any interest in adding a park course at a relatively large, low use park.

That being said, In my opinion, the simplest way to mitigate the negative impact that new players may have, is to teach the game, be an ambassador. As someone mentioned, they encounter players on the course that have no clue who the elite athletes are in disc golf. Logic would likely dictate that if those players exist, they have not researched anything else about the game, they just know they need a disc and that it needs to be thrown into a basket. I think at that point the onus then falls on the disc golf community to recognize teachable moments on the course, and to help new players realize how certain actions, or inactions, can negatively impact others on the course. I'm not saying call out everything, but the probably the egregious actions, or one or two other things a round, and that would have a positive snowball effect on your local courses/communities. Not everyone will want to engage new people, and not all new people will be receptive, and that's okay. A little can go a long way here.

Alternatively, you can point them to resources to help them learn the game. When I started I didn't there was a circle 1 and a circle 2 or that you had to establish balance behind your lie when putting. Those are slightly more advanced than most brand new players need, but the point stands, new players are uneducated. I watched a lot of YouTube because I wanted to learn, and having a local member on a course engage the obvious new guy holding 2 discs with no bag would have been an incredible feeling, but instead, I got a lot of the nastiness exhibited on this thread.

Anyways, I'll leave this ridiculously long post with my main point, remember, every single person on this thread was once the new guy on the course. Every single one of you. Be the ambassador for the game that you had, or wished you had when you were new, because you never know when that family of 4 throwing 3 discs walking willy nilly all over the course could be the next Paul McBeth or Paige Pierce.

Latest posts