• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Headwind disc to complement Star Tern

wims

Double Eagle Member
I'm bagging a 162g Star Tern that I use for max distance. I'm not getting it out very far tho, max d so far is about 105m, but typically I get less distance than that on a normal golf throw. Even tho I'm not throwing the Tern at light speed I'm still getting some turn out of it, and in a headwind I'm getting significant turn. I'm looking for something I can pair the Tern with for those headwind shots. How does the Champion Tern compare to the Star variant? What about the Wraith, how well would say a 165g Star Wraith handle headwinds for a noodle? What about the DDX? I'm open to other suggestions as well

There are some beefy champ terns but most wouldn't be great in a headwind.

Any of those three would work, at your distance maybe a heavier (170+) champ tern or DDx would be best. Some star wraiths can be pretty beefy, even in lighter weights.

The champ tern is a good compliment to the star, and can handle wind pretty good if your release angle is adjusted to add some hyzer.

C-Line and Metalflake DDx's are solid in wind, the lighter S-Lines still get tossed about, but will still hyzer out in the end. You might want to try something more like a Wraith or PD. If you're only getting about 105m, a 12-speed disc might not be serving you best. You may find better results with something like a Krait, CD, or Beast.

I agree that an S-PD or a fresh P-PD is going to be the best wind fighting compliment to your light star Tern at the speed you are throwing. Don't let the speed 10 thing of the PD fool you. If you lace it into a headwind with a clean release it will stand up and cut the wind like butter. Try it.

I'm bagging a 162g Star Tern that I use for max distance. I'm not getting it out very far tho, max d so far is about 105m, but typically I get less distance than that on a normal golf throw. Even tho I'm not throwing the Tern at light speed I'm still getting some turn out of it, and in a headwind I'm getting significant turn. I'm looking for something I can pair the Tern with for those headwind shots. How does the Champion Tern compare to the Star variant? What about the Wraith, how well would say a 165g Star Wraith handle headwinds for a noodle? What about the DDX? I'm open to other suggestions as well

I'm in the same situation as you are: I bag the Star Tern (about 167g) as my max-d disc. So I went through this process of deciding which overstable disc should compliment it. While it's still a work in progress, here are some ideas:

- A Hannah Leatherman Star Tern comes in heavier weights (mine are max wt.) and are more overstable than regular Star Terns fresh out of the box. They look good, and buying an HL Star Tern helps 2015 USWDGC Champion Hannah Leatherman's touring efforts. And it's a Tern, so you're throwing the same mold.

- I have a Factory Second Star Wraith that is 162g; a bit on the light side but it's still a Wraith and more overstable than the Tern. If you get a flippy Wraith, then you can use it to bomb in tailwinds, but a stable/overstable Wraith will get ya done.

- The Paul McBeth Champion Krait is more overstable than the Tern. I like it because it flies very straight then dump fades. My Krait is in the low 160s. I had one that was 147g or so, and it got flippy on me as my form and distance have improved.

- The Gold Line Flow from Lat64 is a Speed-11 disc similar to the Wraith. I like Gold Line plastic the best, so I'll often bag the Flow for times the headwinds pick up.

- Last idea: dropping down a notch, you might try the Starfire-L (SL). These only come in Pro now, as Star SLs are OOP, and you should send any Star SLs you find to me so I can give them a good retirement home. :D Seriously, the SL is a great disc, and since theoretically the headwinds can give some lift, you might see if this disc fits your stable/overstable needs.

Last edited:
DDx is a Tern with a Discmania top. I'd start there as it should feel most similar.

Works great with Wraiths and DDs.

Lots of good ideas here. The Tern is so shallow that there aren't that many discs that feel like a Tern in the hand. A max weight champ Tern would probably be a good headwind disc at that distance. Hannah Terns fly a bit more like a champ if you're willing to buy a LE disc from the Innova Pro Shop. A GStar Destroyer would probably also work well.

The S-DDX was my answer. I have had many lighter champ terns that bombed but I prefer the feel and grip of star more. A beat in 170-ish star tern is now my all out max distance in the open, a 167 DDX steps in to give me more control in the calm, and a 175 DDX adds a lot of wind resistance. At first I was keeping a star destroyer in the bag for the wind, but I lost it in a round and found that the max DDX was fine for me. Throwing max about 360 on the course, for reference. Hoping I can clean up the throw enough to see proper speed 12 flight/distance by end of year, or else it is back to orcs and beasts in the spring.

If you go with a slower disc than 11-13, where the Tern is at, and more OS for wind fighting, you'll likely take a pretty significant hit in distance. I'd likely stay at a pretty high speed disc to complement the Tern, as it will cut through the wind nicely, and also go stable to OS but not full on beefy as that might just divebomb before flying.

While I would say Destroyer as some of them would likely be perfect for you, the variation in them means that you're more likely to end up with one that is more OS than you want. I think star Wraith is probably a good option, as it's still fast and the stability should be workable enough for you that in some wind it will glide things out but not get squirrelly. I have not thrown or held a DDX, so I can't comment on it, but from what it is designed for (more stable Tern variation) it could be a good option. Maybe a Trespass would be a good all around disc at that power in moderate wind? I throw a bit harder and wouldn't throw one in wind though, so keep that in mind, but in calm they are fantastic.

I use the Villain for this role. In a moderate headwind, the Gold Line can develope some turn but will come back. It is also useful when you want a stable/overstable disc and there is no headwind. The Opto won't turn and will fade hard (with or without a headwind).

I have a wide variety of Terns, from a beat in 168 Star Tern to a 'max weight' Champ Tern. Currently, I can cover 3 to 4 stability ranges from the aforementioned flippy Star to a 163 Champ Glow that fights wind really well for me. Since Innova made such a range of stabilities (from the flippy Champ model that came out first at BG Ams in 2013, to the differently rated Star plastics), I feel best just keeping this one mold in my bag for long range duties, and playing with them enough to feel comfortable knowing which one will perform under particular conditions. (I actually don't bag anything higher than speed 7 or 8 otherwise :eek:).

If you want to go noticeably more stable I'd try an XCaliber. Same speed as the Tern, but way more stability. Great wind disc. Surprisingly good distance for such an overstable disc too.

Westside world goes a hell of long way into a moderate headwind. But you need a good arm to get it up to speed. The tern is more forgiving in relation to arm speed.