• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs do you own???

How Many Discs Do You Own?

• 10 or Less

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • 11-25

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • 26-50

Votes: 67 23.7%
  • 51-100

Votes: 66 23.3%
  • 101-250

Votes: 49 17.3%
  • 251-500

Votes: 27 9.5%
  • 501-1000

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 1000+

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
Between my gf and I, we have about 70 discs, I usually carry 20 and she usually carries 12 when we play.

I've got about 60 now. only about 20 see regular usage, the rest are backups, discs that don't work as well for me as another does, and my wifes.

I couldn't find where this had been posted before, so I thought I'd see how many discs people have lying around.

Being new to disc golf, I have 11 discs of varying molds, plastics, and weights.

Should I get more discs? (probably a dumb question :D)

How many discs do you actually use when you play 18 holes? :confused: (I usually use around 6)

This has been coming up a lot lately. 11 discs (assuming you have drivers, mid range and a putter) is more than enough to start with. I would recommend finding the ones you like the best, something stable and reliable, and trading the rest to get more of the disc you like. When your new you hardly need multiple molds in each class. Learn a few well and than move from there.

I got around 60 or so...about half found, half bought (maybe a little more bought these days...)

When I play a round I take 20-21. A lot of people don't like carrying that many. I do, but they certainly aren't 21 different molds. Three identical Voodoos, three predators, two stalkers (and a Teebird unless they prove they fly well in the wind), two surges, two buzzzes, an XL and XS (damn near the same till I beat in my XS), plus a couple that I have to try out, evaluate, and see if I want to replace any others.

I buy a lot of discs to try out, but only keep the discs I like the most. I find it's easier and adds to my consistency to focus on a smaller number of discs. I give away the discs that don't make it into my bag to my nephew or one of my beginner friends. So right now I own around 12 discs and some of those are duplicates.

100+. But with that I don't have that many molds. There are a good number of players pack disc and tourney winnings that I haven't even touched yet lol.

I've posted this before, to the chagrin of other posters sometimes, but here's my $0.02:

If you are new to the game, you should be playing with two discs, that's it. One driver (preferably a mid-range because you don't throw hard enough to throw a distance driver), and a putter. You need to learn what ONE disc can do before you start throwing all kinds of different discs.

A common mistake newcomers to the game make is when they throw a disc, and it doesn't do what they want it to, their answer is to buy a new disc. Wrong approach. You need to learn all the different ways to throw one disc, and how that disc will behave in relation to the air it is traveling through (hyzer, anhyzer, fast, slow, turn and fade, etc.). Make a Shark behave if several different ways - learn how to manipulate that one disc, then start to think about how you would benefit from a disc that is more under or overstable, faster, slower, whatever.

The other thing you need to do is learn how to putt, and guaranteed: you don't know how to do it now. I think most DG'ers would agree - putting is a huge key to the game, and if you are missing putts from inside 20', practicing putting will improve your score more than new discs will. If you really want to buy discs, buy three more putters of the same model and weight so you can throw four times at the chains while practicing before retrieving your discs. :)

Finally, if I had it to do over, the first six months I played the game I would have played with two discs.

around 120 but I agree that if you are new to the sport you should start with the basics, a putter and mid.

If you are new to the game, you should be playing with two discs, that's it. One driver (preferably a mid-range because you don't throw hard enough to throw a distance driver), and a putter. You need to learn what ONE disc can do before you start throwing all kinds of different discs.

I've been playing for 6 months now, so I know for the most part which molds work for me at my level of play.
I use the Surge and Avenger SS for long drives, Cyclone for straight drives, Buzzz for mid-range, and a Soft Magnet for putting.

Given I'm not as experienced as most of you on the forums, but I still think I'm a little beyond playing with two discs. What I'm pulling as advice in this thread is that I should stick with the molds that I'm comfortable with instead of quantity of molds, so my next discs will probably be a (hard) Magnet, a higher plastic Cyclone (mine is DX), and another Buzzz.

I've been playing for 6 months now, so I know for the most part which molds work for me at my level of play.
I use the Surge and Avenger SS for long drives, Cyclone for straight drives, Buzzz for mid-range, and a Soft Magnet for putting.

Given I'm not as experienced as most of you on the forums, but I still think I'm a little beyond playing with two discs. What I'm pulling as advice in this thread is that I should stick with the molds that I'm comfortable with instead of quantity of molds, so my next discs will probably be a (hard) Magnet, a higher plastic Cyclone (mine is DX), and another Buzzz.

I started much the same. I found that adding new discs slowly is key when getting more. Make sure you get the feel of them before giving up or trying a new mold. If you take the time to try and be good instead of just playing rec, I think anybody could have enough skill for 6 or 7 molds by the end of a season.