• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think Val got burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tacked this onto a larger purchase from Marshallstreet. CTP prize for tonight's weekly dubs, in support of Val.

Semi related....friend just told me a story on my lunch break. He was on a card at a sanctioned event with one of the owners of one of disc golfs most prominent companies, and after the round he comes up to my friend, takes a sip of his thermos and asks, "Did you know I was drinking rum and cokes all day?"

Attachments

• Tour Series Z.JPG
    Tour Series Z.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 40
Catrina is the one who is known to be the stickler for the rules, to the point she was stepping off the distance to the basket on one hole to see who was closer (it was on the "gravity" hole). And of course we remember the controversy when Sarah Hokom had that car accident and arrived late. So if anyone would say something, it'd likely be her. No, I'm not saying that she actually did.

But you're not saying she didn't, you sly dog you.

from this post by the PDGA

https://www.pdga.com/announcements/statement-valarie-jenkins-disqualification-santa-cruz-masters-cup

now, this doesn't explicitly give a breakdown, but, he says the rules are clear and she was DQ'd. He didn't say he had to use any personal discretion or that he even had a choice and decided to DQ her because of X, Y, Z.

I personally feel that since this was a NT event with actual PDGA staff on-site, there is no way they weren't consulted before a decision of this magnitude. Also, if he had discretion in this decision with all this "may" talk, I'm sure he would have touched on that and said why he DQ'd her instead of only giving her a warning. Instead, he says the rule was clear and she was DQ'd. (because the caddie is responsible to follow all comp book rules, the player is responsible for the caddie, alcohol is automatic DQ offense, therefor if the caddie has alcohol that infraction is applied to the player... DQ)

This appears to be the TD's words, not the official PDGA response.

Of course the TD is going to say he did the correct thing.

Who cares how the PDGA interprets the rule? The PDGA is made up of lowlier lowlives than your average suburban bowling league. The ballots look like the Libertarian party primary. Of course they will misread their own rule because they wrote it thinking it meant something else when even a third grader can follow the logical syntax to the correct conclusion. Unfortunately that is the thing about written rules, you follow them as written not as the beer addled PDGA rules committee pictured them in their own mind's eye.

This appears to be the TD's words

Very true.

My point still stands that the PDGA staff were at the tournament. There is no way the TD did not consult PDGA staff regarding making a ruling of that magnitude. Though, even if the TD did...

the article linked was put together by PDGA staff on the PDGA site. Don't you think they would have included something in that article about how it was handled improperly if it indeed was? And like I said before... wouldn't they bring clarity on WHY it was grounds for DQ instead of only a warning (if giving a warning was actually a possibility (it wasn't)).

Who cares how the PDGA interprets the rule? The PDGA is made up of lowlier lowlives than your average suburban bowling league. The ballots look like the Libertarian party primary. Of course they will misread their own rule because they wrote it thinking it meant something else when even a third grader can follow the logical syntax to the correct conclusion. Unfortunately that is the thing about written rules, you follow them as written not as the beer addled PDGA rules committee pictured them in their own mind's eye.

Hey now, we had John McAfee...whom did you have that was that cool?
:)

Of course they will misread their own rule because they wrote it thinking it meant something else when even a third grader can follow the logical syntax to the correct conclusion.

So you're saying you're smarter than a third grader? Quick, someone call Jeff Foxworthy!

I'm not reading this whole mess, but the summary is that Val and her mom messed up, it was admitted to, apologized for, and we're moving on, right?

thats-not-how-this-works.jpg

What makes all of this so fun is that we still don't know what happened, who the TD talked to, if the Marshall on the course saw Val's mom picking up trash all day but doesn't like her, or saw her chug a six pack before acting or if aliens landed, stunned everyone, and stuck an Alien IPA in her hand. But we're all sure that the correct person (that would be whoever we don't like) is the person who made the biggest mistake. Personally, I think it was Johnny Football. That guy looks sneaky, and have you heard his hole reviews from SFO?

I'm not reading this whole mess, but the summary is that Val and her mom messed up, it was admitted to, apologized for, and we're moving on, right?

More or less. And we started by arguing about the rules decision, but it has quickly turned into the most fun I can remember in recent DGCR history.

Very true.

My point still stands that the PDGA staff were at the tournament. There is no way the TD did not consult PDGA staff regarding making a ruling of that magnitude. Though, even if the TD did...

the article linked was put together by PDGA staff on the PDGA site. Don't you think they would have included something in that article about how it was handled improperly if it indeed was? And like I said before... wouldn't they bring clarity on WHY it was grounds for DQ instead of only a warning (if giving a warning was actually a possibility (it wasn't)).

And if the TD had decided not to DQ, do you think that the PDGA wouldn't have supported that?

That perhaps they would overridden him?

Status
Not open for further replies.