• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I tomahawk often. Am I a cheater? :)

Not cheating at all...I am a firm believer in developing all of your shots, and use whatever gives you the most distance. I love my overhand shots, I just learned not to rely on them because they are hell on windy days...

No you're not a cheater, I'd suck without my thumber shot. I can only throw less than five a day, however, unless I'm taking a week off afterwards.

agreed. My thumber takes the life right outta my arm. Feels like 10 drives in one. maybe i'm doing them wrong. they sure do work though.

Follow through! Like your gonna dig in your left pocket with your right hand. That should help a lil. Also if I'm feelin a lil sore, I'll try to stay low instead of straight up for the run up. Also disc sellection for oh is just like fh. Yes thrown correctly flicks, preds, and avenger ( my pick) will go 300+, but for most situations a fairway driver will work- and cause less strain. I know many will disagree (due to stability rating) but a glide takes nothing to throw and will usually do the trick.
FYI I throw thumbers

You do what works for you. It isn't quite how the game was intended but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it necessarily. I would just continue to work on all the aspects of the game.

How ever you propel the discs with your hands is fine. If you want to use a 2 handed soccer throw-in style or an underhanded soft ball pitch, so ahead. People don't tomahawk because it is not a reliable shot compared to the alternatives. So go ahead and chuck those hucks.

Thumber FTW!

I learned with a thumber, can't throw a tommy to save my life, and could OH 12 holes on my home course and shoot under. Changes to the course eliminates that but I still will OH a shot if I have the space.

I played the Championship 18 layout at La Mirada recently and happily threw quite a few thumbers on that course. I've got some good confidence with them from 320' in.

It's only cheating when they go in from 200' away up and over an obstacle, that's just not fair to anyone else...

*backswing

If a tommie works better for that shot then by all means use it. There is nothing illegal about good shot selection.

Discs were created to use the air foil effect and fly right side up. Inverted flight is a perversion. It's legal but not what was intended. Rollers are borderline. Don't get me wrong , I throw all those shots but somewhere deep inside I feel guilty.
It would be a nightmare to make such shots illegal ( rollers in particular)and try and enforce it during play. This was thought of early in the day and quickly abandoned.
Throw anyway you want but know that a habitual inverted drive is a crutch.

I am just thinking on if they did make tomahawks illegal.

"That wasnt a tomahawk! Thats my forehand throw! I just like to put a LOT of anhyzer angle on it!"

Not if you play the 2 meter rule

I am just thinking on if they did make tomahawks illegal.

"That wasnt a tomahawk! Thats my forehand throw! I just like to put a LOT of anhyzer angle on it!"

Yeah , that's why illegal is a can of worms." Hey ! That wasn't a roller I just threw a real bad air shot !" lol

Every shot has its place and for anyone who thinks throwing thumbers or tommies is easy think again. I can not tell you how many times ive tried to show people how to throw overhand and how many times they have failed. So just because it was something you were good at early doesnt make it any less of a skill.

Every shot has its place and for anyone who thinks throwing thumbers or tommies is easy think again. I can not tell you how many times ive tried to show people how to throw overhand and how many times they have failed. So just because it was something you were good at early doesnt make it any less of a skill.

quite well said. i throw tomahawk and am medium skilled at it. my best shot is actually a forehand flick.

not a cheater, just better and a more well-rounded player than those who are giving you crap.

wish i could throw those effectively myself.

I love throwing thumbers and I often get quizzical looks when I bomb one out there... and with accuracy. I don't get nearly as much distance as I do RHBH, but the thumber (or tomahawk) is a very useful throw to have in your arsenal. I find that the "cheater" stigma usually comes from people that don't have the arm strength and/or technique to execute thaat kind of throw. Don't feel bad about using it. Just make sure you are still developing other parts of your game in the meantime.

"When in doubt... Thumber out!"

Tomahawk away! I use it sometime because it seems more natural to me. I actually almost aced a hole today using a tomahawk shot, my heart stopped when I realized it was just right but it bounced away right next to the basket. I like having variety of shots selections and practice all when possible, you never know when you need it.