• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

How old is it?

Might be a Star Super Stingray if it's pretty new. They're only CFR discs though.

EDIT: I don't think the normal Stingray has an Ontario top, but I could be wrong. Especially if it's old.

Last edited:
If you have a normal Stingray to compare to, a Super Stingray would have a much blunter nose.

A profile pic would help, but my money is on the Super. You could also compare it to the things on the Innova website. They have a 360 view of discs thing on each disc's page, it can be handy.

Can anybody help with ID'ing this disc? It's the one on the right in the profile pic. The disc on the left is a Chains Aviar. I have what appears to be the same disc with a protostar stamp as well.

That's a football stamped patent pending Aero. Where the Hell did you get that from?

That's a football stamped patent pending Aero. Where the Hell did you get that from?

I wanted to believe that, but also didn't want to get my hopes up. I don't know a whole lot about rare/collectible discs so figured I would ask before I assumed.

Thanks for the info :thmbup:

How about another couple. I think they're Rhynos, but got rid of my only Rhyno I had so no thumbtrac discs to compare to.

Both from 1999 california tourney stamps, weight in the 120's. Plastic is odd, really slick and reminds me of the junky frisbees (think they call them fastback). The white is slightly gummy/flexible, red is pretty stiff. Both have Ontario, CA Innova tooling.

Those are not rhinos for sure. They are either birdies or piranhas depending on the diameter of the disc.

I checked the PLH versus my pre-thumb Birdies and they're way off. Are pre-thumb birdies and thumb birdies way different?

Rim depth is 2cm less than pre-thumb Birdie and inside diameter is 2-3 cm less than pre-thumb Birdie.

For reference the PLH and rim depth match my circle stamp Polecat (I know it's not a Polecat).

I checked the PLH versus my pre-thumb Birdies and they're way off. Are pre-thumb birdies and thumb birdies way different?

Rim depth is 2cm less than pre-thumb Birdie and inside diameter is 2-3 cm less than pre-thumb Birdie.

For reference the PLH and rim depth match my circle stamp Polecat (I know it's not a Polecat).
Those are either last generation Piranhas or thumbtrac Birdies. Actually you could call them either one since they are the same disc. I can't remember when the last run of Piranhas were, but '99 was right about the time that they could be either.