• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

The profile pic looks like a Mako but I am no mold expert...:D

Did not really look at the bottom pic last night, the wing is too wide to be a Mako anyway, even if was made back then...:eek:

My question if that is a Leo, why give it away in a players pack for the USDGC?

I know the Leo can fill many roles in an experienced players bag but that seems like the least desirable mold for someone playing in that event.

Did not really look at the bottom pic last night, the wing is too wide to be a Mako anyway, even if was made back then...:eek:

My question if that is a Leo, why give it away in a players pack for the USDGC?

I know the Leo can fill many roles in an experienced players bag but that seems like the least desirable mold for someone playing in that event.

I think that it's a Leopard because I'm pretty sure I see the telltale "crease" on the bottom of the wing. The Leopard was one of Innova's newest discs at the time, so it makes sense to me that they'd promote it by putting it in the players pack.

Whatever mold it is, I'd guess that 1999 USDGC discs are collectible, and suggest that the OP head over to the "What is this disc worth?" thread. I'm surprised that no one else has weighed in on this one. I'm no expert either and normally just lurk around here.

I was hoping someone could help identify this?

Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me identify this disc. I've been using this disc as my distance driver for about a year now. I got it from my brother and he wasn't sure who made it either. I throw RHBH, and as long as I release it correctly she flies straight as can be and then fades to the left. It's 169 grams, and the stamp appears to be something "Grateful Dead" related. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 60
Hi, I was hoping someone would be able to help me identify this disc. I've been using this disc as my distance driver for about a year now. I got it from my brother and he wasn't sure who made it either. I throw RHBH, and as long as I release it correctly she flies straight as can be and then fades to the left. It's 169 grams, and the stamp appears to be something "Grateful Dead" related. Thanks for the help!

Is there any factory ink visable on the bottom of the flight plate? It looks like it could be a Gateway Slayer to me.

Last edited:
Is there a definitive way to tell a old mold beast from a orc? I have a x-out pearly disc that is either a orc or beast. No stamp and cant read any markings on the bottom

Im looking to sell and want to have a definitive way of knowing

Thanks

Found it in the used bin for $8 and couldn't resist, Innova P/MD2. Any info on this?
2Uaqpqi.jpg

Does anyone happen to have any insight on a firm Vibram X-link Four20 by any chance? I've been sitting on one that's marked as so, but had only heard of medium Four20s.

Thanks!

I happened upon a Star Boss yesterday, but the plastic is not normal star material. The plastic seems to be a slightly transparent material, like an 80-20 % mix of star and champion plastics. You hold it up to a light and you can see through it to a point. The Boss even has patent numbers on the bottom and no Innova website URL, which are opposite if what the newer bosses have. Any idea what's up with the plastic blend? Cool looking disc.

Last edited:
I happened upon a Star Boss yesterday, but the plastic is not normal star material. The plastic seems to be a slightly transparent material, like an 80-20 % mix of star and champion plastics. You hold it up to a light and you can see through it to a point. The Boss even has patent numbers on the bottom and no Innova website URL, which are opposite if what the newer bosses have. Any idea what's up with the plastic blend? Cool looking disc.

These are what people here call champystar - basically a star plastic with some champ plastic blended in. Usually found in blue and red discs, sometimes you'll see other colors like orange.

That looks like a Gateway Assassin.

Lightning #1 Driver - floater

Found a Lightning #1 driver today in a pond that I lost a disc in yesterday and was trying to retrieve it with no luck. Didn't have ink and it wasn't one of the discs these two guys that were playing on my card lost so looks like it's getting added to my bag.

I noticed none of the other photos I saw had a stamp like this one. 136g Anyone know if this is probably just an older disc?

Last edited:
Here's the photo, had to remember to get it off the phone:

Attachments

• 277626587229192247_-337263159.jpg
    277626587229192247_-337263159.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 47
#1 Driver was a sharp nosed B-25 mold and the #1 Flyer was a blunt nosed B-25 mold. In flight they were pretty similar, the #1 Driver was just a bit flippier.

Lightning sold a lot of discs direct to the Japanese market. Japan was early in on disc golf so it was a hot market in the early to mid 90's. I'd guess the stamp has something to do with that.

#1 Driver was a sharp nosed B-25 mold and the #1 Flyer was a blunt nosed B-25 mold. In flight they were pretty similar, the #1 Driver was just a bit flippier.

Lightning sold a lot of discs direct to the Japanese market. Japan was early in on disc golf so it was a hot market in the early to mid 90's. I'd guess the stamp has something to do with that.

Hmmm interesting. Thanks for the information!

ID help

Any help on this Innova champion plastic midrange from a 2012 tourney?

JpH5CQRl.jpg

Latest posts