• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild Review: Unfair?

this is an unfair review:
Hagg lake
prime location on the lake with plenty of throwing room and hardly anyone else playing. The baskets are high quality and the tee pads are good nuf = 0 stars :thmbdown:
Clearly this guy has never played a poor course. Even Conejo has earned stars

There are a lot of bad reviews popping up.
I don't like when people join then rate a top 10 course and disappear for ever.

There are a lot of bad reviews popping up.
I don't like when people join then rate a top 10 course and disappear for ever.

Give 'em hell, prerube! ;)

Actually, looking at that Hagg Lake review, I wonder if he simply forgot to click a disc rating, or mis-clicked. Doesn't sound like he meant it to be a "zero."

Then again, people are weird so who knows? :\

Here's my deduction....

there are just a$$holes in this world.

Idlewild in no way deserves less than a four. Nor does Flip, Highberry, etc...

One thing I have learned (as many of us have through life) is that there will forever and always be a$$holes out there that need attention. (for an overabundance of examples log on to Xbox Live)

Case in point: Flip a 3.5 rating from a lamo named "frolfer"?

wait..I have had this discussion before too. Is this called "Disc-Ja Vu?"

Case in point: Flip a 3.5 rating from a lamo named "frolfer"?

"frolfer" seemed to know what he was talking about in stuff I read.

BTW, a 3.5 rating is "Very Good" according the official scale on DGCR.

But, what to I know?........since I rated Idlewild 3.5, and you know what that makes me. :doh:

:D

here we go again lol jk. there was a nice big discussion about this already.

Augusta National though?? Have you ever played Milo McIver?

I've played Milo. I've played Idlewild.

Idlewild definitely blows Milo out of the water in terms of aesthetics.

Augusta National comparison goes to Idlewild.

Milo 36 is long for the sake of long. There are a couple good holes at Milo. Not every hole is good.

Idlewild. Every Hole is amazing. Each hole can be considered a signature hole in their own right.

wait..I have had this discussion before too. Is this called "Disc-Ja Vu?"

......no, it is called "Deja Moo"......as in I have this distinct feeling that I have heard this BS before.

Last edited:
"frolfer" seemed to know what he was talking about in stuff I read.

BTW, a 3.5 rating is "Very Good" according the official scale on DGCR.

But, what to I know?........since I rated Idlewild 3.5, and you know what that makes me. :doh:

:D

Actually you are the guy who rated it a 3, then you were called out on it and changed it to a 5, then when the dust settled you changed it to a 3.5

I can't wait for Dave's Flip City Review....There are some head scratchers on Dave's review list but once you get a feel for his tastes it all makes sense.

Actually you are the guy who rated it a 3, then you were called out on it and changed it to a 5, then when the dust settled you changed it to a 3.5

Yes, but he changed it to a 5 just to poke a stick at the flippy nest. That was when they were neck and neck so it would have "Flipped" the order. Har Har. Tom admits Dave is his hero? The world is about to explode. Quick!!! Duck!!

I can't wait for Dave's Flip City Review....There are some head scratchers on Dave's review list but once you get a feel for his tastes it all makes sense.

Dave, it seems to me, prefers wooded courses overall. This doesn't mean he won't give it a 5, but it prob needs to live up to the hype. What about Tallpauls review of Flip? Well Paul, we're waiting. :popcorn::popcorn: there's an extra bag for Jukeshoe, he loves the freaking stuff.;)

Having played with Dave242 two weekends ago; and hearing more detailed explanations of his philosophy; I must say a couple of new ideas are lurking in my head in regards to reviews. The main thing I am thinking on now is that there are a couple levels of five ratings; and reviewers may have to eventually come to some sort of equation like Dave uses:
Why? I played Flip (and more than 10 other courses in northwestern Michigan) this past weekend. Quite a number of the rounds with DGCR members; Terry C., Jukeshoe, Nick, etc. I realize this is a Idle thread; and not a Flip thread; so points may not be zeroed in; in regards to Idle; but, while Flip is certainly a 5 rated course for "fun factor"; Leviathan, Beast, and a couple of others; during the trip; where tougher courses. Most of our group was getting very close to par after only two trips through Flip (though we didn't play alternate holes second time through; and there's a couple of high scores lurking there/but, a couple deuce chances as well). Much tougher to shoot near par at either Leviathan or Beast. What is the measure of a 5 rated course? I believe I am going to have to have two different criteria for ratings scale. Either that, or Flip (and I love ya Bill), will have to get lower than a five; based purely on toughness of course.
After posting this; talk about timing; I just noticed NDA's question....I think it may be a while before I do reviews for the Michigan journey. Need to think things over a bit; and probably add a new level to considerations; as noted above.

Last edited:
Yes, but he changed it to a 5 just to poke a stick at the flippy nest. That was when they were neck and neck so it would have "Flipped" the order. Har Har. Tom admits Dave is his hero? The world is about to explode. Quick!!! Duck!!

so you are saying Dave242 doesn't take reviews seriously and would change a rating as a joke?

I think He was tired of being attacked and did it to calm the people down and it backfired because other people attacked him for flipping so easy.

If either is true it hurts his credibility as a reviewer.

so you are saying Dave242 doesn't take reviews seriously and would change a rating as a joke?

I think He was tired of being attacked and did it to calm the people down and it backfired because other people attacked him for flipping so easy.

No Dave takes his reviews and ratings very seriously and he temporarily changed it to prove a point....that the top 10 nutjobs are insane....it was hilarious and my favorite moment on DGCR ever!

No. He just did it to mess with the flippies, I believe he said this in some thread. He never intended to leave it a 5 forever. Just messin with the big dogs I guess? You are right though, people did give him a lot of crap about it. So who knows? Changing it from a 3 to a 3 1/2 isn't a big deal to me. I changed my rating on an over rated course in IMO in Miss from a 4 to a 3 1/2. It's The Rez in Miss. Moc Bend was much better to me. As I play more courses, the previous ones either hold up or go down in comparison. So I might change some.

Last edited:
what did changing a rating prove? that he controlled the top 10 at that moment?
I have no problem with changing a review by 1/2 disc, I've done it, courses change, sometimes your opinions change. But from a 3 to a 5 on a controversial course with no justification (BTW I do not believe he said anything about the change until others called him out on it)

Last edited:
I think everyone has their own rubric for reviewing (at least they should, even if they're not aware of it.) Whether you decide to base that off of difficulty, fun factor, accessibility to all level of players, good chi flow, whatever, the most important thing is to stay consistent from review to review.

My personal rubric checks the amenities, use of available elevation, water, and other natural land features, variety of hole types, and good opportunities for risk/reward. But the number one most important thing for me is fun factor. Some courses just have a certain "feel" that exudes fun or detracts from it.

Also: changing ratings seems reasonable in most cases. I've rearranged my ratings several times as I've gotten more courses under the belt. It's ridiculous to realize you made a mistake and not change it to reflect new wisdom/knowledge.