• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild Review: Unfair?

I think everyone has their own rubric for reviewing (at least they should, even if they're not aware of it.) Whether you decide to base that off of difficulty, fun factor, accessibility to all level of players, good chi flow, whatever, the most important thing is to stay consistent from review to review.

My personal rubric checks the amenities, use of available elevation, water, and other natural land features, variety of hole types, and good opportunities for risk/reward. But the number one most important thing for me is fun factor. Some courses just have a certain "feel" that exudes fun or detracts from it.

Also: changing ratings seems reasonable in most cases. I've rearranged my ratings several times as I've gotten more courses under the belt. It's ridiculous to realize you made a mistake and not change it to reflect new wisdom/knowledge.

I have a personal rubric also, but there is NEVER a scenerio where I will change a course from a 3 to a 5 without making a single change to the review.

Well, that's understandable. I don't recall the Dave 242 Idlewilde incident, but it sounds like maybe he was trying to prove a point?

People do get their undies in bunches over that stuff. Ultimately, what does it matter if Flip is #1 or #2 or even #10? Personal preference is going to play a huge part in whether a player enjoys one 5-disc course over another 5-disc course. The best this site can do is show everyone which courses have a general consensus of being 5-discs, 4-discs, etc. People need to make up their own minds from there...

Personally, I feel Flip is a 5-disc course. If tallpaul rated it 4.5 and had a good, solid reasoning behind that (say, he rates all courses based on difficulty) I have absolutely no problem with giving that a :thmbup: because Flip isn't the most difficult course. I've played at least one that is more difficult, perhaps a couple. Again, consistency is the main thing I'm looking for.

what point? everyone says he was trying to teach "flippies" a lesson, what is this lesson?

Lesson (?):
Junksoap said:
Ultimately, what does it matter if Flip is #1 or #2 or even #10? Personal preference is going to play a huge part in whether a player enjoys one 5-disc course over another 5-disc course.

That's my guess. I don't know Dave 242's thought process.

If Mashnut or Valkyrie Kid gave either Flip or Idle a 3.5 rating with a nice description of why, I would have no problem giving them a great big thumbs up. I have no bias over which is better, I don't care who is in the top 10. But you should not use the reviews for your own agenda, even if your point is "look I control who is in the top 10"

Last edited:
But you should not use the reviews for your own agenda.

Jukeshoe: <-----Changes all reviews to 0-disc ratings to further his agenda of WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!

:p

I am going to change my North Greenville to a 5, then when people read how I bashed it, then see 5 stars and 20 thumbs up it will confuse them so much their minds will explode! Since reviews can be changed and mean nothing on a site called discgolfcoursereview :p

But you should not use the reviews for your own agenda, even if your point is "to make people's heads explode."

What part of this aren't you following? :p ;)

you misquoted me, I said "minds" not "heads" (*goes and gives all of Jukeshoe's new 0 reviews a thumbs down under all 12 of his accounts)

I was joking with Jukeshoe, but yeah. My bike was stolen today. It was stolen off a 3rd floor balcony, How they heck did they do that?
(I should have just started a new thread for this issue, but i don't think the thread jack will be too long, plus I think this thread ran it's course)

My point for speaking up on this thread was to point out an unfair review, then I had to say my piece about Dave242 altering his review.

Last edited:
Having played with Dave242 two weekends ago; and hearing more detailed explanations of his philosophy; I must say a couple of new ideas are lurking in my head in regards to reviews. The main thing I am thinking on now is that there are a couple levels of five ratings; and reviewers may have to eventually come to some sort of equation like Dave uses:

This seems like a no-brainer to me... almost like you had originally thought that there should only be one 5 rated course per reviewer.

I would hope that people can give and take a little. An easier course might have better elevation changes, or something. I would have given Banklick a 5 disc rating without a second thought, if I hadn't also played Idlewild.

But, if I play Flip and decide it is also a 5, that is probably not going to affect my rating for Idlewild... I guess it is a balance of comparing it to other courses, and evaluating it on its own.

So how a guy who has played 104 courses can give it a 1 is beyond me. I know this is a social site more than anything else, but jeez...

I could probably scrape some wheels and tires together if you can get another donor to donate the frame. Pedals are another story. Oh and the chain.
Hey though, we aren't going to see this conglomerate bike on E-bay or MIKE's BIKE LIST?

I could probably scrape some wheels and tires together if you can get another donor to donate the frame. Pedals are another story. Oh and the chain.
Hey though, we aren't going to see this conglomerate bike on E-bay or MIKE's BIKE LIST?

My bike wuz stolin enibudy got a doller :hfive:

honestly I wasn't using it, but my wife and child are almost always at home, so there is a chance the thief was on my balcony just one glass door from my wife and baby. I thought we were safe on the third floor, but obviously not.

I am moving about 2 miles from Jrawk at the end of the month

Last edited: