• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illegal over weight discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt O

Birdie Member
It has come to my attention that a lot of discs don't weigh what's marked on them. Some of them even weigh more than what the PDGA allows. I know of somebody that had a Wraith marked 174g, but it actually weighed 178g. Over the PDGA maximum for a Wraith. How can a manufacturer stamp PDGA approved on a disc that is illegal? Has anyone ever attempted to get a refund/replacement in this situation?

It has come to my attention that a lot of discs don't weigh what's marked on them. Some of them even weigh more than what the PDGA allows. I know of somebody that had a Wraith marked 174g, but it actually weighed 178g. Over the PDGA maximum for a Wraith. How can a manufacturer stamp PDGA approved on a disc that is illegal? Has anyone ever attempted to get a refund/replacement in this situation?

And the evidence is...where?

And the evidence is...where?

What? This happens ALL the time. For example, Discraft just has a weight range, not even an exact number.

I don't think anyone really cares to be honest. Nobody is going to scale weigh a disc at a tourney because they think it's a couple grams over the limit.

For what it's worth, I believe the "PDGA approved" applies to the mold, not the particular disc.

God you sound like a BABY BACK BITCH.. lol

I know it's kind of "splitting hairs", but there is a maximum weight given for each disc on the list of approved ones. There's an 11x Eagle on ebay right now that's scaled at 178g. The maximum weight allowed for an Eagle is 176g.

God you sound like a BABY BACK BITCH.. lol

You sound like somebody that gets on the internet to try to make themselves feel better about being a little guy. It's called "little man complex". It's okay, I've met a lot of people like you. You're you and there's nothing that can change that.

There are 2 reasons that this happens:
1) money. It's easier to write max weight on a disc (ex: 175) than to take a 180g disc and Regrind it/throw it away. IF you want a disc that is under max then ask for a specific weight like 172. They are more likely to be 172 and not 176,180,etc.
2) Environment. Discs can lose and gain weight depending on the environment they are in. Discs can retain water and moisture and can also lose moisture. The disc may have honestly been weighed at 174 in the shop, but is now 178.

It is more likely that #1 is the main culprit. No reason to regrind a nicely made disc if you can just mark it 175.

There are 2 reasons that this happens:
1) money. It's easier to write max weight on a disc (ex: 175) than to take a 180g disc and Regrind it/throw it away. IF you want a disc that is under max then ask for a specific weight like 172. They are more likely to be 172 and not 176,180,etc.
2) Environment. Discs can lose and gain weight depending on the environment they are in. Discs can retain water and moisture and can also lose moisture. The disc may have honestly been weighed at 174 in the shop, but is now 178.

It is more likely that #1 is the main culprit. No reason to regrind a nicely made disc if you can just mark it 175.

Well that makes sense. I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of this coming into play at any tournaments. The guy that had the Wraith didn't use it in a tournament because he thought it was illegal.

I have never heard of anyone being called out for using an illegally-weighted disc in a tournament. The chances of someone else noticing that your Eagle/Wraith/whatever is a couple grams over is almost nil.

If you were throwing like a 210 gram Teebird however, chances are someone would notice.

I've been told that if you ever come across some old timer that putts with a Super Puppy, you have to watch out for overweight discs because the PDGA limit is somewhere around 175g, but they used to be molded in weights up to 220g before there were any sort of restrictions.

That is one long sentence.

I've been told that if you ever come across some old timer that putts with a Super Puppy, you have to watch out for overweight discs because the PDGA limit is somewhere around 175g, but they used to be molded in weights up to 220g before there were any sort of restrictions.

That is one long sentence.

Well max weight is based on disc diameter, so the larger a disc is, the heavier the max weight can be.

So 175ish grams is max weight for most discs in the standard size, but midranges are a little bit wider so they can be more like 180g. Discs like the Zephyr and other super-class discs can be as heavy as 200g, and in some cases maybe even heaver.

So I don't know what the diameter is on a Super-Puppy, but there's a chance that it's a wide rimmed disc and would be viable in heavier weights.

You sound like somebody that gets on the internet to try to make themselves feel better about being a little guy. It's called "little man complex". It's okay, I've met a lot of people like you. You're you and there's nothing that can change that.

It's actually called Napoleon Complex

Wow i was just going to make a thread like this. I've got some discs for sale and ive had multiple occassions where potential buyers/traders had concerns about the weights being over the "max" allowable weights. I never really thought about it because I like the heavier discs and dont think it gives me any individual advantage anyway, just what i prefer. I've also never played any high up tournaments so i didn't know if maybe they cared more and checked your discs or something.

I can't wait to be an "Ace Member", that way I too can post random stupid things on threads. If you're not interested, don't read the thread. Oh wait, you have a lot of time on your hands, that's why you're an Ace Member.

I understand your concern but don't understand WHY it concerns you so much? It's not like there's an advantage to throwing a disc that is 1-2g over. Most people can't tell that little of a difference anyway - and most who claim to be able to are lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts