• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In a funk - play through it, or take a break?

You're in a funk. What do you do?

• Keep on keepin' on

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Take it easy

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Shoot the hostage

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
The benefit of doing this for fun instead of doing it for a living is that you can take a break and recharge. Only pros have to play through it.

Breaks don't help me, so I say keep playing. But as was suggested, just slow it down and maybe mix things up a bit. You'll be better than ever in no time. :thmbup:

images

I've been in a serious funk over the last couple weeks. Shanking easy upshots, losing distance on drives, missing gimme putts: the works.

I've been playing through it, trying to power through in the hopes I will break out of it. But I am curious what others do. When the chips are down, do you play more and push through the struggles, or do you take it as your sign that it's time for a few days off? Opine here and leave an answer in the poll if you like.

Play less rounds and hit the field more. Work on your timing, throw some practice ups and such...

I play thru it. But I play a little less and definitely play less seriously. I might play an easier course for awhile or play from shorter tees. Something to breakup the rut.

Yep...go knock out a couple field work sessions. Or just focus on your putting. Anything to break up your current ritual. Sometimes it only takes one good throw in the field (or on the course) to put your right back where you want to be.

Keep playing as long as you are having fun! Sometimes I will just go throw some in a field for a change of pace.

Putter only, or mid only rounds can also be helpful in getting out of a rut. For me, when I'm in a rut the last thing that seems to work is field work, I just carry my boredom to a field instead of a course.

Maybe a rest until you get that itch to play again is a wise idea. When your hobby becomes more work than enjoyment, its time to question your hobby. Unrealistic expectations getting the better of you? In the end, this is supposed to be fun and sometimes that can be forgotten.

I say keep playing, but like others have said, simplify things, make it fun. Putter/mid rounds, pitch and putt, CTP type stuff all seem to work well for me, just getting out, slowing things down and relaxing.

Play if you're having fun. Take a break if you're not.
I thought I'd elaborate on this. I find too often people treat this hobby like some sort of chore. I know I have. "100 putts a day, do field work, blah blah blah". Sure, if you're having fun doing that, do that. If you're not having fun doing that, don't do that. Whatever it is about the sport you enjoy, be it improving and playing competitively, be it casual rounds, be it buying every mold under the sun.....pursue that.

Breaks can definitely be a good thing. Especially if playing isn't fun anymore.

The other thing I like to do is just use a different bag. One of my bags is filled with new discs that I just want to test out. I can take that bag to the course and not care how well I shoot. I'm more focused on just seeing what those different discs can do for me. It's a nice way to take a break but still play.

I'm too lazy to check to see if it was already suggested; I would focus on field work. And SLOWING DOWN. Whenever I have a bad round, the next few times I touch my discs is at the local park. It's plenty long enough, with huge trees to navigate and practice lines. I definitely see an effect on my game after sessions like that. Now that I think of it, I think I practice more than I play...

This happened to me and I took 4 years off :)

My alternative is to play a couple putter-only rounds, and just practice instead of playing. Start small and work your way back up.

It's been said a lot. Make it fun again. Try shots you would never try. Use a different line, disc, forehand vs back hand, left hand vs right hand, and if your score doesn't matter your game will improve or you will find a shot you really enjoy. I'm in a slump and just now getting out of it because of this method. I worked really hard to improve my game and got in my own head. This is a really fun way to get out.

I took a big break over most of last year. Only played my club's end of year tourney, and maybe ten casual rounds, tops. I was on my favorite local course to work on it more often than play on it. I might play more this year, but honestly, disc golf is becoming a thing which is less important in my life. And that's ok, because it's just a game.

When I was competing and really working on improving my game, it just started feeling like work. Skipping rounds with friends to hit the field was the last straw. After a really solid finish at the BG Ams that year and the best competitive rounds of my life, I'd had enough. I took about six months off, changed how I looked at the game, and couldn't be happier.

I am not playing anywhere near the level of golf that I was prior to the break (can be really frustrating), but I'm much happier. If the thought of throwing plastic makes you cringe, you might want to kick your feet up and relax to recharge your batteries.

This happened to me and I took 4 years off :)

My alternative is to play a couple putter-only rounds, and just practice instead of playing. Start small and work your way back up.

I can relate to this. Something happened to me at a tournament quite a few years ago now and I haven't been the same since. It was not fun at all. Serious funk. So I stepped back a bit. I still played a couple of events but one was in April and then not again until August or September. This has lasted for a few years now.

I still played casually but did not practice much. It has been an extremely slow comeback. It's all in my head. I know that. But I am my own worst enemy. :wall: My mental funk and lack of practice introduced some bad habits that have been tough to break.

I voted to keep on doing it. I personally took it easy and maybe I should've played through it. I think I wasted my last few good years of open play thinking I couldn't do it anymore.

You will know what feels right. Whatever it is. A short break always recharges the batteries.

Sorry to blather. Keep doing it!

As stated, I do think it is important to find out why it is a funk you are in! I think it is important to keep playing. If it was a bad tourney or two, go play with friends for fun and don't register for another tourney for a while. If trees are getting in the way more often or the basket always seems too far away, field work or putting. Giving up just seems weak!

Cheers!

Personally, I play through it. There are too many times when I can't play, to deliberately forego any times that I can.

I've been playing long enough to know that if the wheels can fall off, they can fall right back on. OK, I know, that paints a strange picture. But I've been in terrible slumps leading up to a tournament, bad enough that I dreaded going or even contemplated withdrawing, only to shock myself and have a great tournament.

If anything, fighting through a slump, I play more aggressively. Partly because my score's going to suck anyway. But it doesn't feel helpful to lay up on putts, so I'm running them all until they start falling. And taking riskier upshots and drives, too.

The one thing I change is to not play the same familiar course with the same familiar discs. Like others, I'll play with just a putter or midrange or some discs that aren't in my bag. I'll play safari golf so I'm trying out new lines. I'll play somewhere else.