• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova involvement?

greg_b_4

Birdie Member
So last fall i spoke with a local county park about the idea of a course. The immediately loved the idea and with money concerns asked me to design it. I took 4 months for the design phase and we got the course approved by the county commission. We have since in the last month started clearing and cutting some trees. The park head called Innova last week to get a quote on baskets. Innova then apparently contacted the regional innova pro to come take a look at the course to "make sure it is safe". For one, is this normal??? Also what business is it of Innova's where we put the baskets. My fear is the pro will come and either nix the entire project or suggest a lot of changes on a course I've put a lot of time and effort into, especially with it already being approved.

Recently there was an incident where a woman was hit by a disc and she filed a lawsuit. It seems that Innova is making sure incidents like that do not happen again. If you took safety considerations into account then you have nothing to worry about.

yeah i read about the woman that lost an eye in cali. But isnt she filing suit against the parks & rec? Innova wouldn't be liable I wouldn't think. And I did keep conflicts to a minimum but it is a park with walking paths. There is no blind shots into walking paths. If golfers give way to other park goers there would be no problem.

Also the pro that is coming to make sure its safe, i have played several of his designed courses and they seem more dangerous than the one I designed.

yeah i read about the woman that lost an eye in cali. But isnt she filing suit against the parks & rec? Innova wouldn't be liable I wouldn't think.
Even when you prevail in court, litigation is expensive, and its not unheard of in personal injury cases for plaintiffs with an ambulance chaser attorney to sue anyone who they think might have deep pockets so they can get a settlement.

If golfers give way to other park goers there would be no problem.
When you have a game played largely by unsupervised male teen-twenty-and thirtysomethings, many of them carrying wide rimmed drivers that they can't throw, if is a mighty big consideration. I can't blame Innova for making sure their I's are dotted and T's are crossed before they commit their product to be installed.

Follow the money. Innova wants to sell more. More baskets, more discs, more accessories. The Innova pro will suggest signage, a pro shop, clinics, etc. Not bad things at all, but yeah I'd be pissed if he/she came in and started busting my design apart.
Unless my design really sucked.

Make sure you are there when they come. And don't back down. Or, tell the parks dept. to tell Innova all you want to do is order baskets and there are plenty of other vendors to buy them from.

You should be glad experienced course designers and players will be involved. I am curious why you did not consult an experienced player or course designer initially. I have played several new courses over the past couple of years that would have benefited from this. I heard of 1 course that a landscape designer (not sure if the guy has played a round or has just played a couple of courses) laid out a course via google maps instead of walking the property that will be unplayable for 3-4 months each year due to the lack of course maintenance and overgrowth. I also think it benefits new courses to design them in the summer and spring vs winter due to visible foliage that may frustrate players and deter traffic. Good luck with the project.

I agree that you should appreciate the feedback from an experience designer. It can only help.

Also what business is it of Innova's where we put the baskets.

Disc golf IS Innova's business. If this trend of folks getting smashed in the face continues, they stand more to lose than just about anyone. I actually applaud them for extending the resources to oversee design and installation.

If it's not costing you anything but time I guess it could be positive in a few ways. He may give you some compliments on your design. If it's holding up the project though I don't really see it starting off well. If you're set on innova baskets give it a chance. If he comes and is basically moving in on the already approved course and you're happy with the safety along with your county parks I say move on to another basket vendor. I'm a fan of the disc nation baskets myself and several others.

For the record, the experienced designer that was asked to review the new course design is none other than World Champion and Disc Golf Hall of Fame member, Johnny Sias.

FYI - Johnny Sias has been playing disc golf for over 30 years.

Johnny Sias Tribute Page

Johnny has designed some quality courses. OP shouldn't worry too much.

Interesting tidbit: I hear he still putts with a Roc.

Mr. Sias appears to be a good guy; I get to meet and throw with him this weekend. Per my conversations with him, up to this point, I would think he will be a great person to work with and one who will not be trying to run rough shod over your efforts. He's old school, has private courses on his own land; and understands effort. Not the new style guy; in it for the cash/prestige. I would say, go into this as a collaboration with him and things should go well. Having him associated with the course should prove a positive, I would think.

I would think that all manufactures associated with the sport have a vested (and even somewhat selfish) interest in making sure alll reasonable prcautions are taken to make the sport safer for everyone. Regardless of whether or not the manufactuerer is actually at fault in any way is irrelevant. A bad image does nothing to help their bottom line. Their getting involved with Parks and Recs depts can only help giv it a professional image and enhonace the liklihood of parks putting a course in.

Additionally, how does the park know if a course "Joe Schlobotnik" layed out is really safe? Chances are people at the Parks Dept don't really know the game. Chances are a manufacturer does.

I think their involvement is a win!

Once the baskets are in your possession you can arrange them any way you see fit. Don't hesitate to take advice from an experienced player/designer, but it is your project after all.

However, more than anything, SAFETY FIRST!

u_mad_bro_by_silver0453_d5f5gnd.jpg

I agree that you should appreciate the feedback from an experience designer. It can only help.

I am on the fence about this comment.
We have a local pro/designer that has installed four local courses that I know of and they ALL suck.

Latest posts