• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

My Opto Knight didn't display much turn either. The furthest I threw it on flat ground (390 or so-- and I have an entire post with story of how it happened), I didn't see much turn out of it. If it did turn, it was like a very baby turn.

I'd compare its stability and distance to a slightly beat 160g Goldline Ballista Pro.

I might have to pull my 174 opto Knight out again and mess with it. I threw it in the field about 3 weeks ago and turned it over almost every time I threw it.

I love the distance the Knight provides on good throws, but mine is finicky.

I also have a somewhat beat gold line Knight that turns a lot. It has very little late fade. If the thing turns, it seldom comes back.

Maybe next time I'll do opto Knight vs champ Katana in the field head to head.

round 2 with the knight..still alot of flashing...still weird...its windy that probably doesnt help...got one of my best drives on a certain hole ever today....but laser straight...low...got several bad turnovrrs that ate dirt..some that turned right and didnt stop ...threw forehands tjat rolled ..not on putpose...then got a forehand low that went 50ft past the hole...I think i am trying to overthrow this because it feels so wide...it is also pretty flat...and the wing is more concave than a boss..

round 2 with the knight..still alot of flashing...still weird...its windy that probably doesnt help...got one of my best drives on a certain hole ever today....but laser straight...low...got several bad turnovrrs that ate dirt..some that turned right and didnt stop ...threw forehands tjat rolled ..not on putpose...then got a forehand low that went 50ft past the hole...I think i am trying to overthrow this because it feels so wide...it is also pretty flat...and the wing is more concave than a boss..

The Knight takes a little while to learn. I actually threw mine some today. It was performing well. Nice amount of turn, followed by a decent fade.

Head to head with a champ Katana, the Katana beat the Knight for sheer distance. The Katana wasn't as flippy. I was able to lean into it harder.

The Knight is one of those high risk/high reward discs. It'll absolutely bomb, but sometimes you'll get bad shots that are total head scratchers.

At the risk of being boring I want to talk about my knight again.. Had out for round 3 today. And I like it a lot better.. I don't know if the heavy flashing was messing with it but that's gone now...i was Throwing 4 or 5 drives on the longer holes 174 opto knight..174 vip king, 151 blizz kata, 174 star shrke..and sonetime the 171 champ daedalus...as long as i threw clean..no torque the knight rips..was the longest usually... But they were pretty close together.. Working on the The night has somehow made me throw my Blizz katana better I think I had to focus on a cleaner no torque release
To be honest.. Theyre fairly similar I find the night to be the fastest and really likes a laser low release My king is a couple weeks old now and is becoming Unreliably flippy unless thrown with a lot of heizer.. The heavy star shryke is a really good performer bh...for whatever reason I can't throw it forehand now. I tork it over too much I think.. When it was new a week ago I didn't have that problem these discs seem to break in fast.. But I must say that champ daed lus ,as long as you don't throw it into the wind isn easy reliable disc.. I'm thinking of getting a champ katana in a liter weight in the one sixties ..feeling that might feel nice... But for anyone who hasn't tried it long as you have decent form and throw in the mid 3 hundreds that opto k night. Has something good to offer I used it on a hole today that is normally a long forehand and a stretch for me to reach.. the knight went out bh nice iwith a long gentle turn to the right.. in just the right spot.. And beyond where I could ordinarily get a forehand

Finally found a domi katana in blizzard plastic at 150 and is everything I wanted for a downwind driver... Also got a neutron catalyst that is very flat to almost concave.. It flies OK My knight and shrike both out drive it though by about 15 to 20'... It's pretty straighte as long as I throw it flat or with heizer.. I had heard MV p's are generally domey and this is flat.. Is this a bad example.should i order another or am i playing roulette here

Finally found a domi katana in blizzard plastic at 150 and is everything I wanted for a downwind driver... Also got a neutron catalyst that is very flat to almost concave.. It flies OK My knight and shrike both out drive it though by about 15 to 20'... It's pretty straighte as long as I throw it flat or with heizer.. I had heard MV p's are generally domey and this is flat.. Is this a bad example.should i order another or am i playing roulette here

Too bad the Catalyst is so flat. The 2 I have are both pretty domey.

I think you got a bad Catalyst. Most MVP drivers I see are at least somewhat domey.

On a side note, I found a 137g blizz Katana in a creek today at the course. It's so light it floats. I probably won't even throw it. The disc is pathetically light, and it feels like styrofoam.

I think I order another one And put this one out on eBay If the other ones better... That lite katana could be good if it has a dome ,like you say flat high speed drivers are bad drivers...for glide anyway...i have a flat star boss that is my wind control driver.. I had my longest drive ever with a light khatana downwind..crosswind from left.... I also find I can really send them downwind forehand....

I had heard MV p's are generally domey and this is flat.. Is this a bad example.should i order another or am i playing roulette here

This would be a good question for the MVP thread since there's a ton of guys over there with lots of experience throwing gyro. I personally haven't thrown a Catalyst, but have found that Plasma plastic comes out domier than Neutron and Proton as a general rule, regardless of mold. Not sure what plastic type you got...but if you want dome then try to look for Plasmas.

the katana with a heartbeat dome really fit the bill...today however I had my best drive in a long time with a 171 vip king....this is a flippy disc that i usually hyzer flip low to finish right downwind...today threw one high and flat with a lite breeze from back left...it caught the turnover and rode it past the basket..across the path into a tree..it was 30 steps past my daed..which i threw low and straight...the hole was 375. I also threw the catalyst it turned way right and was long..but not as..the king..prob with king is it will never fade back

for someone looking for a good roller...dx katana..i saw one at km.art and gof it....basically impossible to not turn over.. been getting accidental roller so I decided to make it a roller disc on purpose It basically works fantastic just throw hard heizer(thats right) get al ong turnover and roll forever...straight too... gott pin high on a basket never got near before today.

another knight note
really Good roller....first were mistakes
just throw slight anny.. long straight
funny...was straight stable new...now anny to roller but in a good way...my dx katana is a pure roller unless downwind..throw high..and hyzer

I lossed my DX Katana today have no idea where, it looked like a great roller hit the middle of fairway But when I came down it was nowhere to be found.To mqkw myself feel better I stopped at Dicks and bought a star roadrunner...never had one before. I love this disc...goes right over and rolls straight...but i also could just crush it downwind. It felt like a turbo putter. I could also forehand it to long flip up turnovers...not sure why but it felt awrsome to throw.

do you think the mold has changed...champ kats now have pretty concave wings..just like champ bosses... Which have become sort of notorious bricks.. I think this is why people have been turned off I used to love my kataaas but they don't really seem to have the big S flight they used to

do you think the mold has changed...champ kats now have pretty concave wings..just like champ bosses... Which have become sort of notorious bricks.. I think this is why people have been turned off I used to love my kataaas but they don't really seem to have the big S flight they used to

IDK. The last few champ Katanas I've thrown have been good. Not too beefy, but not super flippy either.

The mold is notoriously inconsistent. I have plenty of 10 year old Katanas that fly like bricks.

I agree that recent Bosses have been really overstable. I'm not a fan.

Been in the bag for at least 7 years, still my longest flyer. I wish I had a few more.

That thing has to be super flippy after being in the bag that long.

I've cracked 500' once or twice with blizz Katanas, but I don't use them on the course. Too wild, and they don't do well in wind.

ok... I bought 2DX katanas at Walmart... Note they will turn into discs usable only for throwlers and hard downwind high turnovers... But no joke I got consistently longest throws of my life today with these little buggers...downwind turnovers...but ...wow.....@$8 a pc too...looking for distance they got it...just only downwind..and hyzered

ok... I bought 2DX katanas at Walmart... Note they will turn into discs usable only for throwlers and hard downwind high turnovers... But no joke I got consistently longest throws of my life today with these little buggers...downwind turnovers...but ...wow.....@$8 a pc too...looking for distance they got it...just only downwind..and hyzered

I found a DX Katana in a lake the other day. 172g and in decent condition.

I generally detest DX plastic, especially for drivers. However, I might give it a couple tosses just to see how long it can really be.

it will be super flippy and only usable thrown high downwind...like the r pro boss