• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

I'm not sure about DX. I got a stiffer Pro domey poppy top 170g Katana I like. I only throw ~380 though. I had a domey poppy top champ that I lost that I liked too, it was actually very stable, just a little drift in no wind.

I'm not sure about DX. I got a stiffer Pro domey poppy top 170g Katana I like. I only throw ~380 though. I had a domey poppy top champ that I lost that I liked too, it was actually very stable, just a little drift in no wind.

I'll have to wait a little bit to try the DX Katana (snow). I'll briefly discuss my results with it here. I'm not expecting to really like it. I think it'll be too flippy to really crank on.

I've thrown probably 2 dozen Katanas over the years, but never a DX.

I just don't like DX plastic because I feel like it beats in way too quickly and starts losing flight characteristics.

I almost bought a DX Katana at Walmart the other day, too.

I don't really want or need one, but beat up high speed drivers in DX is one of my favorite things.

it is definitely trashy...it definitely has no flight characteristics...like fade...if i throw flat ..i get a a roller that tpuches down at 300ft and goes forever....but downwind ...wind from left
.rhbh...the flip just flyys..thrown high....i can also hyzer flip these accurately...again downwind...high finish no torque..i throw 400 +. and these will bomb(sometimes)...vicious rollers also....like an extra flippy king..if you have oat forget it...I also like to throw putters and roadrunners for d...so this works for me....if you are flexing pd2s....no

It is funny I got 2 of these DX one is just the flip iest thing in the world the other is fairly reasonable for a katana mind you it is completely unmarked and has not hit anything except open ground..

My 152 blizzard katana is becoming disc that is reliable and very long.. a drive yesterday that I kind of yanked onto anny but it didn't flip all the way It went a good 90 to 100' past the hole onto a cart path right never come close to driving there before.. Mind you it was to the right and way past being a birdie putt but it's the 2nd time recently I've pulled an accidental Annie with this thing and it just moved... There was no wind behind it if anything it was cutting into the wind..

I like Pro Katanas in the 165 - 169 range for straight hyzer-flip distance. These are not for turning or hyzer lines - Katanas don't want to do that. For reference, I throw 330 - 370 pretty consistently. I'm also pretty old (51), so I want the distance to be on the easier side physically. Just flip up and go.

The Pro Katanas have been manufactured very consistently over at least the last 7 years, though a recent run has come out with pop tops and is definitely more stable. I have used these for hyzers and wind but the Pro Boss is definitely more dependable on these lines.

I used to throw Champ Katanas but recent runs have been pretty variable. Mostly just fast bricks. I'll still grab an old one out of a used bin if I see one though.

just got 2 blizzard katanas around 138.. Both have very big pop tops look like flying saucers With a very pronounced heartbeat they can suction cup on top of each other it's so pronounced is pretty funny.. The wings are completely different one is much more concave and looks like a stable boss wing.. The other is flatter but still concave pretty excited to see how they go it's very windy this morning. Will have to wait till cal. to give an accurate test of the flight shape..

So the verdict is disappointing.. Not bad discs just not what you want in a katana The Orange one has a very concave wing and has 0 turn Was pretty long but did not act like t other heavier katanas which is surprising it was lighter and more stable with a bigger pop top so next to a blizzard boss the boss had considerable turn though it doesn't really glidewell both of these s they come kind of waste of money unfortunately.. I threw the next to my star Ricky destroyer which has good turn good pop goo and good glide this probably reason why people have forgotten about these discs as not mafe the way they used to I guess.. I wonder if it's because they are made in China now is not really the same mould ..I found bosses to be pretty much yuk too when I used to love them.. For comparison next to the katana..also threw my 172 king which just flips to a roller immediately.. I guess that's why male pros don't even touch any those things cause too random.. bums me out because I really like throwing long turnover shots

So the verdict is disappointing.. Not bad discs just not what you want in a katana The Orange one has a very concave wing and has 0 turn Was pretty long but did not act like t other heavier katanas which is surprising it was lighter and more stable with a bigger pop top so next to a blizzard boss the boss had considerable turn though it doesn't really glidewell both of these s they come kind of waste of money unfortunately.. I threw the next to my star Ricky destroyer which has good turn good pop goo and good glide this probably reason why people have forgotten about these discs as not mafe the way they used to I guess.. I wonder if it's because they are made in China now is not really the same mould ..I found bosses to be pretty much yuk too when I used to love them.. For comparison next to the katana..also threw my 172 king which just flips to a roller immediately.. I guess that's why male pros don't even touch any those things cause too random.. bums me out because I really like throwing long turnover shots

Katanas can be fun, but finding good ones is a pain in the ass. I figure less than 50% of star and champ Katanas are what I'd consider good. By that I mean, they actually fly true to the assigned numbers.

Most "bad" Katanas tend to be really overstable and glideless.

I threw a couple different new Katanas this week. Champion and a star, both 175g. The Champion was very overstable, flew something like 13, 4, 0, 3. The Star was way flippier. More like 13, 5, -3, 2. With the star I was able to do 450' a couple times. Accuracy sucked. Champion was right at 400', and I had to force it.

To be perfectly honest, I'm liking the Emperor a little more than the Katana. Better flight, and way less finicky. The Katana is slightly longer, but far more prone to flipping or getting affected by wind.

How does the Katana's fight compare to the Shrike?

I would say similar having owned many of both over the years. Katana is ever so slightly shallower and wider in the rim. Probably a little more distance potential (marginal maybe a few feet).

Flight of course will vary on plastic, how it molds up, dome and PLH. I prefer the Katana mold overall.

How does the Katana's fight compare to the Shrike?

I'm generalizing here, but Katanas usually don't turn quite as easily as a Shryke, nor do they glide as well. The Katana also has a dumpier fade than a Shryke.

The Katana succeeds with sheer speed, but I feel like you need a slightly bigger throw to make it work.

Shryke: 13, 6, -2, 2.
Katana: 14, 5, -2, 3.

I know I gave both discs the same amount of high speed turn, but I still feel like the Shryke turns easier than the Katana, and holds it longer before fading.

I love to see the katana interest..

I've thrown at least 1 of pretty much every distance driver mold currently made. I occasionally gripe about the Katana's lack of consistency, but it's still a very long mold. Every so often I'll do a field session where a Katana kicks the crap out of everything else for sheer distance... by a lot.

When you find a perfect Katana it'll hang with anything else on the market easily.

I would say similar having owned many of both over the years. Katana is ever so slightly shallower and wider in the rim. Probably a little more distance potential (marginal maybe a few feet).

I'm generalizing here, but Katanas usually don't turn quite as easily as a Shryke, nor do they glide as well.I know I gave both discs the same amount of high speed turn, but I still feel like the Shryke turns easier than the Katana, and holds it longer before fading.

Thank you! I use to have a couple Katana's about 7 years ago but I didn't have the arm for them so I sold them to a friend. I recently went back to a mixed bag and had to try to Shryke and currently have one bagged. I may not get one yet, but I may have to get some to back up my Big Z Nuke with sounds like has about the same flight and is a staple in my bag. Thank you! :thmbup:

Thank you! I use to have a couple Katana's about 7 years ago but I didn't have the arm for them so I sold them to a friend. I recently went back to a mixed bag and had to try to Shryke and currently have one bagged. I may not get one yet, but I may have to get some to back up my Big Z Nuke with sounds like has about the same flight and is a staple in my bag. Thank you! :thmbup:

A Nuke feels quite a bit wider then a Katana. Probably a little deeper as well. Nuke is even wider then a Boss but I would say the Nuke is closest to a Boss for Innova.

Any Katana you buy you will want a dome and usually larger the better. If you get one that isn't domey it will be squirrelly and have no glide. Basically terrible.