• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Iron Hill. Please Read Before You Play

The throw that lands at the bottom of that ditch isn't unlucky, it's bad. We're at the place that all threads go to die. . . .

Strokes at IH don't add up because of unlucky throws, they add up because of bad throws.

Uh -- Jimi takes this serious -- really?

I just want to be on record as not discussing Stan McDaniel's (don't know him, only have played a couple of his designs) or Fred Salez's (met him a couple times, played in a casual and a few tournament rounds with him) or your (don't know you or your courses) courses.

I'm just happy "oob" is gone!! viva la OB!!

Yep. Don't see how the offended parties aren't getting this point.

Ah, so we ARE talking about reviews and ratings after all. :\

Blue Lake in Portland is your ideal course then. Feldberg-designed gold level, and very few play it because of its length.Certainly not chuckers.
Problem solved. :D

I'm a chucker, and I love Blue Lake! I only get to play it once or twice a year, but every time I play it, I can gauge how well I am progressing. There are three ways to improve in this sport, 1-practice, practice, pratice; 2-play with better players; 3-play tougher courses. I love my local pitch-n-putt, but I will never improve if that's the only place I play at.

^^^Well, the one time I played Blue Lake I shot par, and I KNOW I was playing out of my mind and body. I haven't been back 'cause there's not much chance of parring it again. :eek: Though honestly, the length is just too daunting for the old-man arm.

Iron Hill is well beyond my ability too....I still love it for the challenge and measuring stick aspect

If I lived closer I'd play the short tees and baskets more often

I never chastised anyone of less than a 1010 rating for playing or reviewing the course.....just hope that players realize the reason it's designed the way it is

it is marked as temporary here but Ozark Mountain seems pretty permanent to me. it is a par 72 Gold layout.

Could end at Stafford Woods in NJ . . . New Jersey's top-rated course.

Could have a Warwick-Stafford (Saturday) and a IH-Seneca (Sunday) "4 tops" tournament . . . :).

There'd be all kinds of ego male body-part references going on at that one.

Or maybe Hawk Hollow-Seneca (Saturday), IH-Stafford (Sunday) . .. just saying.

Wow, thanks Paul W!! Glad to have Stafford in the same sentence as these courses... Its not quite on that caliber, but it is indeed a good course and worth checking out.

As a person that helped out a little bit down at Iron, IMO the place has its own personality. Some people will get along with the course's personality, and some won't - just that simple.

As for reviews, while I lived in DE, the negative comments about the Hill just gave me my next projects to work on (next tee signs, paths between tees, better short tees, etc...) The reviews are opinions and everyone has one, I take the reviews that make sense and have good points as either a "job well done" or a "you need to work on this" and add it to the priority list for my courses... Just that simple.

Jimi and I have a lot in common, and working on our courses and giving the best we can for our courses all is one of our better commonalities... That said, that same passion also leads us to being "gruff" sometimes. Passion can be both great, and overwhelming to some people; too bad.

As a friend, I do not believe any of the perception that has been read into that Jimi is telling people not to come play... Quite the opposite, show up, just know what you are walking into.
He and I have watched total NOOBS show up with lids at Iron Hill, and have politely discussed what they are getting into. We never said don't play here, just that it might not be the casual walk you thought you were getting into when you got out of the car in a pair of sandles and don't have any water with you... Most people say thank you, and continue on to the first tee; and a bunch of those types of players have come back after 4 holes and said thanks for warning me, where's the nearest easy course. I think this is the message that Jimi might have been trying to convey. Hope I'm not putting words in your mouth there Jimi, but I think I understand what you are trying to get at here.

As you said, its part of the larger puzzle, and there are enough courses to fin what you want to play in the area.

As a person that helped out a little bit down at Iron, IMO the place has its own personality. Some people will get along with the course's personality, and some won't - just that simple.

As for reviews, while I lived in DE, the negative comments about the Hill just gave me my next projects to work on (next tee signs, paths between tees, better short tees, etc...) The reviews are opinions and everyone has one, I take the reviews that make sense and have good points as either a "job well done" or a "you need to work on this" and add it to the priority list for my courses... Just that simple.

Jimi and I have a lot in common, and working on our courses and giving the best we can for our courses all is one of our better commonalities... That said, that same passion also leads us to being "gruff" sometimes. Passion can be both great, and overwhelming to some people; too bad.

As a friend, I do not believe any of the perception that has been read into that Jimi is telling people not to come play... Quite the opposite, show up, just know what you are walking into.
He and I have watched total NOOBS show up with lids at Iron Hill, and have politely discussed what they are getting into. We never said don't play here, just that it might not be the casual walk you thought you were getting into when you got out of the car in a pair of sandles and don't have any water with you... Most people say thank you, and continue on to the first tee; and a bunch of those types of players have come back after 4 holes and said thanks for warning me, where's the nearest easy course. I think this is the message that Jimi might have been trying to convey. Hope I'm not putting words in your mouth there Jimi, but I think I understand what you are trying to get at here.

As you said, its part of the larger puzzle, and there are enough courses to fin what you want to play in the area.

all good points

seen the same thing at Nocky 5 holes is typically the limit