• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is DG your #1 passion?

Never really thought of ranking my interests.

On one hand, I've been playing for more than 15 years, but due to recent life changes, I'm playing less than ever. I used to love throwing multiple rounds in a day. Now after 18 holes (I did 18 today in fact), sometimes less, I'm good. I hardly even keep score anymore.

Can't really say what has supplanted it as far as passions go. I don't seem terribly passionate about anything anymore.

Talking hobbies and pastimes, not family or other obvious things.

For me, 10 years ago it woulda been baseball and beer.

Now, it is definitely DG, followed by beer and footie, then baseball.

Even if it isn't my most passionate hobby, I owe so much to Disc Golf. For it was Disc Golf that helped me ween myself off of Strangling Hitchhikers.

DG constantly shifting between rock climbing, powerlifting and backpacking.

DG in the spring and summer, lifting usually in the fall and winter. Backpacking and climbing almost exclusively summer as well.

Climbing is my other big thing too. I climb indoors though because I work in a climbing gym. Used to be so that I'd switch the one main hobby to bouldering when the DG season ends, but now its year round.

DG is super stupid obsessive in the summer though, with long warm nights and early mornings. But when it snows so that losing discs starts to become an issue, its down to random indoor stuff. But given the amount of passion I have for it in season, even spread out for the whole 12 months it would still be #1. In offseason I still prowl the usual online hangouts for some DG related fix or other, even though I play very little after snow.

It's quickly becoming that way. I used to be completely obsessed with fishing but last summer I went twice. Looking at selling off a lot of my fishing gear since I barely ever use it, and my pile of plastic just keeps growing and growing.

I used to be way into skiing but now I run a ski area so that's now work, which really sucks.

Disc Golf is definitely my biggest escape currently. I can do it with the family and the dogs, it's technically exercise and you don't have to play great to learn, improve and work on things. Also you can win money, drink beer and have a blast with all your friends- not just the ones with boats etc. Even though I normally play on the mountain I run's course and it is technically work, it has a leisure activity feel to it that really separates it from things that *feel* like work for me.

Yes. I play on a beautiful 12 hole course in the Bighorn mountains in Story, Wy. Hardly ever see anyone there. My dogs think its the best place in the whole world, and go nuts when we round the last corners in the road. I have gotten a few new people I meet started in DG but I don't try to hard, I'm selfish, Don't want to share.:p

Music number 1. Disc Golf number 2. Coffee number 3.

Unless I'm tired. Reorder likely.

If you're talking purely selfish hobbies, meaning ones that are solely about personal enjoyment, then I've really only got three: disc golf, fantasy/sci-fi fiction reading, and watching my various athletic teams. They're all about equal. Disc golf keeps me active and gets me out of the house for some stress relief. Reading is a great way to unwind after the kids go to bed. Watching my teams on TV takes priority over the other two hobbies though, since games happen at a specific time and I can read literally anytime I want and disc golf anytime that the family/weather/daylight permit.

I also play guitar for my church, but that's sort of a combination of hobby & responsibility. Board games are up there too, but that's a way of socializing with friends and family while also doing something that we all like. So yeah, disc golf/reading/sports on TV is definitely the clear top 3 for me.

1. DG has become #1 for me just recently, only started playing in July.
2. Skateboarding (Lingering injuries put me on the sidelines for a bit on this front.)
3. Brewing Beer
4. Gaming (PC/VR)

1. Competitive gaming
2. Disc Golf (albeit i've only been playing a couple months)
3. Watching college/pro basketball/football

Everything else is work

Reading is #1 and will always be. Disc golf would be next though. Then fishing or video games. Getting ready to take up running again after a decade off. I used to be a serious runner; we'll see how it goes the second time around.

I'm in the process of building a disc golf course on my own slice of acreage, so yeah, dg is probably #1 and pretty much has been since I got back into it back in 2009/10. A couple kids (3 and 5 year old) definitely slows all the hobbies down. I don't ride my bikes nearly as much as I used to. We still play strategy board games, but not 2 or 3 games in a sitting like we used to. We still travel and hike quite a bit as that's pretty easy to do with the kids. Carpentry is mostly on an as needed basis as projects around the house/farm pop up.

I'd say:
1. DG
2. Hiking
3. Travel (goes hand in hand with the first two as we usually travel to hike and/or play new courses)
4a. Bicycling
4b. Carpentry/woodworking

10 years ago, no.
5 years ago, yes.
Today, no.
5 years from now? Who knows.

It's hard to remain 100% focused on one thing for a long time. Life gets in the way of one hobby, other hobby finds a way to work with new schedule and becomes your new obsession until something else happens that gets in the way, etc.