• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is the hole too dangerous or my paranoia?

Steve, I think your instincts are good here. I would not consider putting a hole anywhere near that path, unless it's to have a tee by the path and throwing away from it.

I know nice 40'-wide fairways are hard to come by on wooded properties. If the city is willing to create another one for you somewhere else, and that's what you want, then that's great. If they're not, then you have to live with it. There's no reason to risk hitting any pedestrians or bikers there.
The only answer I have to hear.

Lippold is like a crash course in how not to design a disc golf course, though. It was the closest course to my house for years when it was a 9er; the place scared me to death. Busy park with disc golf running down a walking path. Just brilliant.

It seriously should be used as an example for other parks departments to visit and see how poor course design can be dangerous. That courses design also takes away from the fun of disc golf. If I was a course designer (for hire) that had a sales pitch, Id use Lippold in my PPT to show what can happen when an amateur course designer is set free.

To the op, as a player, Id be happy if that neat hole did not come into existence. If worrying over pedestrian safety can be removed from the rounds experience, course enjoyment goes up.

I was out on the weekend digging around in the brush (and 4 feet of snow) and there are some possibilities. There are challenges with this park that make any cutting difficult. The local residents are VERY sensitive about this park. Much of this park has never been cut and the section of the park we have chosen to work with resembles an old growth forest with 400 year old hemlock trees.

The alternate shot will probably be this. About 150' to a small opening about 15' wide and 20' tall with a stream running below it, if you miss the gap there is a good chance of falling/rolling back into the stream. Once through the gap it opens up a little with a medium sized landing pad and a good look at the basket with a couple of large trees in the way. Basket would be about 25' feet from the landing area. There is a chance for 2 but most people will be quite happy to walk away with a 3.

There is also a safer alternate shot. Throw a 150' hyzer around a large pine with low branches that reach out 20' forcing a high & wide hyzer, get too close to the tree and you will get knocked down. From this alternate landing zone you should have a clear line towards the basket about 15' wide. Total length would be around 300'.

presentation12.jpg

Last edited:
-Holes that run parallel to foot paths should be avoided if at all possible.
- Even though the park manager is fine with the hole does not make it fine. Park managers have little experience in these matters.
-If you do go with it make sure you have a clean line of site and put up some signs.

I see nothing wrong with this second option at all

I was out on the weekend digging around in the brush (and 4 feet of snow) and there are some possibilities. There are challenges with this park that make any cutting difficult. The local residents are VERY sensitive about this park. Much of this park has never been cut and the section of the park we have chosen to work with resembles an old growth forest with 400 year old hemlock trees.

The alternate shot will probably be this. About 150' to a small opening about 15' wide and 20' tall with a stream running below it, if you miss the gap there is a good chance of falling/rolling back into the stream. Once through the gap it opens up a little with a medium sized landing pad and a good look at the basket with a couple of large trees in the way. Basket would be about 25' feet from the landing area. There is a chance for 2 but most people will be quite happy to walk away with a 3.

There is also a safer alternate shot. Throw a 150' hyzer around a large pine with low branches that reach out 20' forcing a high & wide hyzer, get too close to the tree and you will get knocked down. From this alternate landing zone you should have a clear line towards the basket about 15' wide. Total length would be around 300'.

presentation12.jpg

I like the second option better as a golf hole. Yes, ripping discs is fun, but in all honesty, I'd rather have a couple control shots like that which I have to execute, even if I'd be wading in the creek for my disc more than likely.

Keep the hole. Move the path into the woods.

Seabrook, I think your secondary solution seems good from a DG perspective and plays away from the path.
-Holes that run parallel to foot paths should be avoided if at all possible.
...my biggest gripe with Plantation Heritage.

- Even though the park manager is fine with the hole does not make it fine. Park managers have little experience in these matters.
excellent point.

Keep the hole. Move the path into the woods.
Great idea! PM Seabrook your credit card # because I doubt the park will pick up the tab for moving that path.