• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's really a matter of respect

I have never had an ace, but I have had several birdie shots bounce off of trees, and I have counted those.

Respect? It did the job right? I honestly try and skip it in the basket on short holes. A skip will land you perfectly with a chance with a Birdie, a power shot only trying to get to the chains is a risk. If you miss it will usually go well past the hole and make that birdie even more hard.

When the grass is short and pretty... Skip it. It

And if he didn't give you the respect deserved I'm sure he would change his mind if he had made it.

Hate to inform the guy, but a great number of the aces I've heard about made contact with the ground first.

Respect is overrated.

I was playing with a small group the other day. I drove and it skipped hit the chains and popped out. We were all almost completely amazed but one guy said he wouldn't respect one the skipped in.

So my question is would you respect a throw that skipped in for the ace?

Guy is obviously a n00b with that opinion.

And to be honest it has nothing to do with respect.

I had to give up $ 5 after witnessing a roller ACE at Roscoe Ewing Park in Medina, Ohio (many moons ago). The dude rolled his shot down the center of the apple grove, it then turned over while rolling hit a rock that was in front of the basket and popped into the basket.

Another cool ACE I saw, also at Roscoe Ewing. My friend Fleetwood was about to throw and I was video taping, I told him to hold on and let me climb this one tree that had a branch overhang the tee box. So I was the film was rolling and Fleetwood let it fly------------------- - + right into the basket. And on top of that he almost got a birdie on the same shot as a bird flew right in front of the disc at one point of it's flight. We all gave him a $ 5.00 bill for his efforts.

I don't know if players do it elsewhere, but here in NE Ohio when someone gets an ACE, everyone in their group has to give him $ 5.00 and if they hit metal it's a buck. We call it the "51" club. Anyone else do similar things for ACEs ??

We call it one-five club, and it's like the mafia- once you're in, you're in for life.

As far as the skip ace, it would definitely count. I almost aced a hole once (#2 at Cedarock in Burlington) that I purposely skipped. It hit pretty much every chain and just fell off the outside of the basket. Easy deuce though :)

Did you make ONE throw? And did it come to rest IN THE BASKET?
Surely, its an ace!

His shot hit the chains, but didn't stay in the basket. The OP was wanting to know if his shot had stayed in the basket, would it count as an ace since it skipped first.

The answer would be yes. The number of throws it takes to hole out determines your score. One throw would be a hole in one, or "ace".

As far as respect goes, no ace really deserves respect because it would likely have been well past the basket if it missed. Ask your local pro, top level players shoot for birdies, not aces.

As far as respect goes, no ace really deserves respect because it would likely have been well past the basket if it missed. Ask your local pro, top level players shoot for birdies, not aces.

Sure, nobody's going to try to can his first shot, but come on! Anyone who hits chains off the tee did SOMEthing right, and therefore deserves SOME respect!

I'm not wondering if it's an ace. I know it is. I'm wondering if it could be respected like just hitting chains.

Your first post says: "So my question is would you respect a throw that skipped in for the ace?"

If you hole out in one throw, you've thrown an ace.

I guess I'd "respect" it as much as I "respect any ace...which is to say, not too much. I subscribe to the "good shot gone lucky" theory of aces. Now if you do it twice in a row, I'll call it a skill shot and give you much respect

alig.jpg

hell yeah its respectable....some holes a skip ace is the only option you have at an ace....and its still in one throw!! lets see him hit the chains in the air or off a skip!!! what a douche

I am not sure why anyone would respect a skip ace any less than one that went straight in. It took one throw to get the disc in the basket, that is an ace no matter what it hits or doesn't hit along the way.

Sure, nobody's going to try to can his first shot, but come on! Anyone who hits chains off the tee did SOMEthing right, and therefore deserves SOME respect!

Yeah, the guys I play with often run for aces because it can make more financial sense, especially if we aren't playing for money. How about saying ace runs deserve respect for the skill (or luck) required but not necessarily the strategy of consistently winning?

And also, they get either 1 or 5 from me, depending on whether or not they were in the 1-5 club, and regardless of if there is already an ace pool. And money is just as good as respect.