• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Markers - Round - discs - Why?

Maybe I'm missing something, but this feels a bit like fixing something that isn't broken.

I didn't read the original post as wanting to 'fix' it, but as curiosity as to why the rule is worded the way it is. Like, why not word it to allow something like a playing card? IMO, that wouldn't work because it would easily be moved by the wind....but why not allow a small rectangular piece of wood?

A hockey puck is a legal marker and doubles as a projectile you can throw to knock your disc out of a tree. Maybe a color other than black could be seen more easily.

Now you've got me wanting to get a hockey puck to use as a mini...I even checked the rules to see if one really met the requirements and it does. Hmmm, I wonder if one can be found in a different color.....

Now you've got me wanting to get a hockey puck to use as a mini...I even checked the rules to see if one really met the requirements and it does. Hmmm, I wonder if one can be found in a different color.....

There's always spraypaint or rit-dye!

Perhaps I'm just obtuse, but...

Other than a 20x30 cm rectangle (which would clearly define the area for a legal lie, and could be tough to use when near certain objects), what advantage would there be in allowing other shapes?

Convenience? It's not as if minis are difficult/costly to obtain, or use. They can be as nice/personal as the player desires, or simplistic (just check out Martin's work). And they get the job done.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this feels a bit like fixing something that isn't broken.

We have some product ideas, I just wanted to know the history of the ruling before approaching the committee with some of these. We have already had a slightly off circular design for a mini approved which gave a more practical product and we have some other ideas in mind. There are problems with circular shapes logistically (take up more space, you ship air in packages etc.)

Minis are used to define mark the LOP and thus the lie. Circular objects have a clear point which marks the LOP as the LOP always goes through the center of the mini. It also has a singular point which marks the rear edge of the marker need for stance rules. The orientation of the mini doesn't matter due to its radial symmetry.

Ease of shipping should not be a criteria for changing the rules.

Minis are used to define mark the LOP and thus the lie. Circular objects have a clear point which marks the LOP as the LOP always goes through the center of the mini. It also has a singular point which marks the rear edge of the marker need for stance rules. The orientation of the mini doesn't matter due to its radial symmetry.

Ease of shipping should not be a criteria for changing the rules.

This sounds like a historical thing to when a part of your body had to be on the LOP? A rectangle with a line down the middle also marks the LOP clearly and gives a clearer area for the whole lie (which is not the LOP and can now be 10.5 cms either side of it)

Ease of shipping should be a consideration for a non performance related object. Shipping air is not environmentally friendly or necessary. If we ship a million mini discs or a million rectangular flat objects there is a considerable volume difference. this is something an environmentally aware governing body should be taking into consideration.

As the number of minis are produced every year increases for the sport it's probably time to take a look.

This sounds like a historical thing to when a part of your body had to be on the LOP? A rectangle with a line down the middle also marks the LOP clearly and gives a clearer area for the whole lie (which is not the LOP and can now be 10.5 cms either side of it)

LOP is used for other rules than just the lie.
A rectangle requires proper orientation when placed, a circular object does not.
10.5cm? Let's do some basic math. 20cm/2 = 10cm.

I am curious as to the reasoning on the PDGA's part of approving a non-circular mini... seems like a bad idea to me based on the points Mike makes above.

I am curious as to the reasoning on the PDGA's part of approving a non-circular mini... seems like a bad idea to me based on the points Mike makes above.

I am not aware of an approval of a non-circular mini or an update to the technical standards that would allow it.

I had 21 cms in my head as it is A4 paper size and I'm printing stuff at the moment. Unnecessarily nasty comment BTW for an obvious mistake but thanks.

I am not aware of an approval of a non-circular mini or an update to the technical standards that would allow it.

It was through Jeff and is a circular mini with a protuding nub that holds a carabiner.

It was through Jeff and is a circular mini with a protuding nub that holds a carabiner.

That seems like it is easily treated/understood as circular by anyone using it or seeing someone else use it.

And I'm not really understanding the shipping concern (AFA "shipping air" is concerned). Any tileable flatish object that has the same width as the diameter of a mini is going to take up as much space or more as a mini, at least in an ideal world. In addition, it will use more material to make (unless there is some sort of process that creates much greater waste in making a circular mini).

Perhaps having gaps means that packaging needs to be more robust for stackability? Or extra cost is incurred in the packaging for shipping because it is more complex? Or just the complexity of the manufacturing process?

Pretty hilarious to me how many people have such an issue with carrying a mini to mark the lie. I mean, of all the silly things we tolerate in disc golf this is an issue?

Whatever.