• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

Mott Park in Flint. Tourney on a temp course on august 20th. There has been no mention of a permanent course on the old ball golf course.
Thanks for this news.
Wish I saw this sooner. Time to scramble to find a sitter.

Edit: the tournament page says the permanent course is to be installed next year.

Garfield Park Grand Rapids redesigned

Garfield Park in grand rapids has completed a redesign of the old post course. They have reversed the flow. You now start where 18 ended and finish near where the first post was. They have installed baskets as well. The baskets are discatchers. They made great use of the trees putting some baskets behind clumps of trees. A couple tight narrow fairways through the trees. The branches and leaves make you think about whether to go around the trees or keep it low and straight. Layout can be tricky at first but after a few holes they start to line up better. 12's tee is on the other side of the maintenance shed. 15's basket is way across the ball field. We didnt realize this till we were putting at 16's basket after throwing from 15's tee. Holes are reachable. Little shorter on the front nine a little longer on the back. No distances are posted as of yet. Tee posts from old course are in place. Most have hole layout in marker on them. I don't throw very far but still was able to manage a 1 under par round. Longer throwers will probably fair better if they can navigate all the tree shots.

Garfield Park in grand rapids has completed a redesign of the old post course. They have reversed the flow. You now start where 18 ended and finish near where the first post was. They have installed baskets as well. The baskets are discatchers. They made great use of the trees putting some baskets behind clumps of trees. A couple tight narrow fairways through the trees. The branches and leaves make you think about whether to go around the trees or keep it low and straight. Layout can be tricky at first but after a few holes they start to line up better. 12's tee is on the other side of the maintenance shed. 15's basket is way across the ball field. We didnt realize this till we were putting at 16's basket after throwing from 15's tee. Holes are reachable. Little shorter on the front nine a little longer on the back. No distances are posted as of yet. Tee posts from old course are in place. Most have hole layout in marker on them. I don't throw very far but still was able to manage a 1 under par round. Longer throwers will probably fair better if they can navigate all the tree shots.

Good to hear! I'll have to get out there soon. If there's no map or pictures updated on the DGCR page by then, I'll try to get some things around as well.

New 18 hole course going in just north of the border from Toledo at or near Whiteford Township Community Park. Deets as soon as I get them...

I just played the new West course (and the original east) at Northend Riverside in Big Rapids. No tee pads yet and it isn't very broke in but it looks like it will be a nice addition in the coming years and it gets more play. There were no posted distances and I didn't take any pictures but I hope someone from up there will create a course page for it. I had to use the main course in the DGCR app for both rounds.

I see the main course has been changed to read -East so maybe someone already submitted the West course. I think the old course needs to be updated too though as holes 1 & 2 are now part of West and East actually starts on the old hole 4 and includes a couple new holes farther in.

Overall it was fun to play though it was a LONG day playing both and not knowing the new course very well.

added two 9's today:
Grawn Twp (near traverse city)
Work brought me up to TC, so I checked this course out tonight. There was a map with distances listed so I've updated the course page. My reviewing skills are non-existent, so I'll leave that for you.:D

Work brought me up to TC, so I checked this course out tonight. There was a map with distances listed so I've updated the course page. My reviewing skills are non-existent, so I'll leave that for you.:D

word

Just read Oakwood Lake Twp. Park in Oxford will be opening Sept 3rd.

http://oxfordleader.com/?p=74991

Fantastic write up, until the focus became the potential "stereotype" of disc golfers. Kind of a shame that has to even be brought into this otherwise overwhelmingly positive article.

Sounds like a great course added to the area catelog!! Hope to get out there soon.

Thanks for posting KW! Like ru4por said, too bad they had to perpetuate the negative DG stereotype.
Another thing also caught my eye:
"We tried to utilize the driest portions (of the park), which is where all the walking paths are," Lawrence said.
I won't pass judgement before playing it, but I hope they were intelligent about laying things out "where all the walking paths are." :\

Mountain Man's playground just opened up 5 playable holes on the lower course, just played them in our league last night comboed with 4 upper course holes, and theyre awesome!!!

The Mountain Man was last sighted on the east end of the hill, billy-goating all kinds of growth.

Mountain Man's playground just opened up 5 playable holes on the lower course, just played them in our league last night comboed with 4 upper course holes, and theyre awesome!!!

The Mountain Man was last sighted on the east end of the hill, billy-goating all kinds of growth.
I have to get over there in the next couple of weeks. Mtn. Man finally found my lost disc from the grand opening tourney and I still have to get my shirt. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

I had the powers that be RIP Timber Ridge in Gobles. It seems the course was removed permanently after Worlds.
Added Red Arrow Golf Course in Kalamazoo. 9-hole disc golf on a ball golf course.

I just heard that the baskets at Pioneer Trail Park DGC in Escanaba will be pulled for the winter this year. There were complaints about too many cars parked outside the front gate while playing winter golf last year. The park made us a small parking lot near the gate that can hold maybe 15-20 cars, but on some weekends there were 50+ vehicles there, with the overflow parking on the highway shoulder. The county's solution? Shut 'er down.:wall: