• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most preferred hole type?

I'd pick #3 of those choices. Being a weenie arm, I like to have a reasonable chance at a birdie every so often.

My ideal hole is hole #9 at Deer Lakes. I have seen similar holes at other places and absolutely love them.

Big, open 450' shot to a line of trees where there are one or two lanes through the woods to the basket another 200-250' through the woods. A great par 5 hole that requires both distance and accuracy to get within reach of the gap while still leaving a shot at the eagle 3 if you can hit the lane through the woods.

Honorable mention to huge bomber holes 800' down a ski slope.

Personally I like a mix, but then you have to also factor in elevation change.

Frxmpl, an 800-footer is OK but I'd rather see that as a downhill shot than either a flattie or (gasp!) an uphill grind.

Honestly type 3. But I do love the air it out holes when they are at the middle of the round. I find I can aim better if there is a tree line I can follow though. On thoose big open holes I usually end up 40 to 50 foot left or right of where I intended.

I like long par 4/5 holes that require shot placement with slightly open fairways ... much like many holes on the WR Jackson course at the IDGC or #7 at Flyboy. Holes 8 and 9 at JP Moseley are much more open, but still require shot placement and are a ton of fun (especially if you're Matt Orum and can throw a CE TL twice for the drop in eagle on 8 :|)

Consolation prize goes to any hole with huge RHBH anny bombs or RHBH rollers :)

I hate type 2. I just played an 885 ft wide open hole. It's ridiculous.

Those can be fun as long as there is something going on (Elevtation changes, wind, obstacles etc.). It's nice to reward players with D once in a while, since the majority of dg holes don't at all. Being able to throw over 400' is meaningless on most courses and its frustrating. I also hate playing a round of golf and never getting a chance to throw a single full power drive.

My favorite holes are 400-500' with enough obstacles to force lines, and extra points for tough or creative pin positions. I get bored with shorter midrange length holes and I hate pure wide open holes.

3 combo, with a side of 1, hold the 2

My preference also, I hate long open holes where it's just a distance/wind competition. I also don't like making artificial OB to attempt to disguise the open holes as something else.

I like playing with option/hole #3, especially while warm and wet. ;)

#2 is just like throwing a hot dog down a hallway....no thanks. :gross:

#1....just depends on the situation...sometimes those holes are a lot of fun if you play 'em just right....

Wooded holes with enough room to shape lines but narrow enough to punish errant shots are the most rewarding when you hit that perfect drive. When you have to make a decision off the tee if you want to risk throwing a driver to get the distance or going with a mid to have a better chance of hitting the fairway, it makes you think on the tee and often means throwing different discs in different rounds.

I played a cool wooded dogleg hole recently, the first shot was 350' but with enough slope down the hill to make it play more like 280'. From there it was about 500' to the pin, with water on the left and woods on the right for the first 300', then a narrowing lane through mature trees to the pin. It makes you throw a placement drive, a more open drive with water risk where if you bite off more distance you risk a bad lie behind large trees, and a nice approach that is different from the various spots you can end up. I thought it was a really cool design that plays as a nice par 5 for intermediate to advanced players.

The landing zone should be at about 80% of what a full power shot should be for the skill level the course is intended for and then the 2nd segment should be about 60-75% of full power. That means:
Gold level course (Open division): 1st leg 300-340', 2nd leg 210-300'.
Blue level course (Advanced division): 1st leg 260-290', 2nd leg 180-260'.
White (Intermediate division): 1st leg 220-250', 2nd leg 150-220'.
Red (Novice division): 1st leg 200-220', 2nd leg 135-200'.

Right idea but just a bit long on your skill level ranges. Here are the PDGA/DGCD guidelines if you look at the Water/Dogleg and Approach Throw sections: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/PDGASkillGuides2009.pdf

I love tunnel holes in the woods that make you decide between a fairway driver and a driver. The kind that if you hit the line perfect with a driver you will duece.

:) I'm always happy to hear people say hole 15 at Moraine. I helped design that one. Actually designed a whole lot of the holes out there. That was such a fun course to build. Can't believe it's almost been 10 years now!

Now, I do enjoy long holes, 400' and some change is about my max. So i still had a shot at a 3 at that 885' hole. I missed the long putt, but it was possible. But it was just an open, flat field.

Give me an open shot at 600' with a possibility to hit something. IMO there should be something in the way, if it's on the side or smack dab in the middle. Otherwise it might as well be driving practice.