• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mt. Holiday DGC "Carly's Playground" being pulled for Zip Lines?

Last edited:
Insurance/safety concerns somehow favor zip lines over disc golf???

Didn't Martin Dewgarita blow up his foot zip-lining?

And NOT while playing disc golf?

Yup...:doh:

Another reason to hate insurance agents? :popcorn:

The way I read it was not that there is more liability with DG, it's that the zip lines and the DG course have a potential to be in conflict when both are active at the same time. So, maybe the DG players start launching drives at zip liners, or something crazy like that. Or the zip liners dive bomb over DGers while they are playing. These are the crazy things that insurance agents cook up because they have too much time on their hands or something.

Despite the lack of upkeep currently, Elk Mtn was a really fun destination course with camping, zip lines and a pretty epic disc golf course a few years ago. The last few holes played under the zip lines, so those in our party who didn't disc had a lot of fun buzzing around overhead.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1232

So that's at least 3, maybe 4 examples of successful shared zipline/DG land use.
I wonder if there's some issue with local DG'ers that the Mgt feels is unsavory, or some other issue behind the scene and their simply falling back on this as the "company (zip)line."

So that's at least 3, maybe 4 examples of successful shared zipline/DG land use.
I wonder if there's some issue with local DG'ers that the Mgt feels is unsavory, or some other issue behind the scene and their simply falling back on this as the "company (zip)line."

This was kind of intimated in the response back to us, Bogey. The statement that zip lines fell more in line with their mission statement, could be seen as exactly that. I would hope not. I cannot imagine they are busy enough to see some of the problems that could cause that kind of opinion. I have to say that I have been underwhelmed by the friendliness of the staff people I have encountered there though. On more than one occasion.

Perhaps once ziplines fail to meet their inflated expectations disc golf will be re-introduced...we can alwways hope, esp if they have 18 baskets sitting in storage somewhere

I wouldn't use that Hunter Mountain video as an example... a the 8 second mark there is clearly some molestation of someones head by a "disc golfer"

here's the biggest issue: they started putting in poles and MOVING tees/baskets last year while they were still in contract with CJLP. they had a land use contract with the city (who owns mt holiday) and by intruding on the course before the end of their contract they violated that contract. When they decided this year not to "renew" the lease, they had already destroyed 1/3 of the course with zipline poles and such.

I am glad this is getting as much press as it is. I hope that the stink that I, and a lot of others are making on facebook get through to these idiots. This course was in my top 5. two tees and two baskets per hole. This is RARE in michigan and will be sadly missed.

When Todd redesigned this course three years ago after carly's death, he used 30-40k of his own (life insurance) money to buy the baskets and pay to re-design the course from the stinker it used to be (seriously, look it up under extinct courses), it was truly a labour of love for his daughter and now, essentially, the city has taken a big chit all over his legacy.

Perhaps once ziplines fail to meet their inflated expectations disc golf will be re-introduced...we can alwways hope, esp if they have 18 baskets sitting in storage somewhere

36 baskets, actually 45. they gave todd the 9 original baskets from mt holiday as well.

Hello Friends,

Don't worry, there are sunny skies ahead. We as a board have anticipated this for a long time. We just waited for the letter so we could share it. We have prospects for other locations and will buid another top 10 course here in Traverse City :) LovEWInS always... Peace out, Uncle Todd

Hello Friends,

Don't worry, there are sunny skies ahead. We as a board have anticipated this for a long time. We just waited for the letter so we could share it. We have prospects for other locations and will buid another top 10 course here in Traverse City :) LovEWInS always... Peace out, Uncle Todd
Thanks for chiming in Todd! Please keep up to speed as things develop.

Try posting a 1 star review on Facebook, I just have, and it is a good way to respectfully bash them, and possibly get noticed

I left a 1 star review as well. After researching it a little it seems like the Mt. Holiday Board were pretty sleezy in the way they went about this. I feel for the disc golfers that are losing their favorite or home course, but I feel far more disgust at the the fact that so many peoples' time, money and passion are simply not being considered.

I think Todd Said it best himself, "We invested thousands of dollars. This was a community effort and a gift to the community. It's really disheartening and sad to see it rejected."

Last edited:
it keeps getting worse. Mt Holiday set all of the baskets out by the road. I will never visit this place again for anything and will encourage people to do the same. i need to try to get over there and see what i can do to help.
Todd Lewis just posted this on Facebook...
"Dear community, please watch our baskets. Mt Holiday stacked them by the road."
11167657_1113086198707460_864512891736148877_n.jpg

for those that have never played here, the signs you see leaning up on the left side of this picture are the very well done tee signs made up in honor honor of Carly. an example...
424432_264161050330057_1678680882_n.jpg

Everyone should continue to leave 1 star reviews for the resort, ruining there reputation, and exposing to people how they really are.

Man, I feel for all who loved this course, and especially for Carly's family.

What a shame. :(

Everyone should continue to leave 1 star reviews for the resort, ruining there reputation, and exposing to people how they really are.

Sadly, this only hurts the community. While I am angry, I am not the vindictive type and am not into facebook. But, if in the area I will find different zip lines if I am going to try that.

They have a good disc golf community up there, I can only hope they rally to get those baskets and signs.